Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: I need $5 AQD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:36 pm

Unsure where OP is located but another option is to find a short cheap AC flight this month and take it. Looking at Flights AC's got $90 one-ways between YTO and YUL starting next week. You could then enjoy YUL and/or simply fly back on an ErrorPlan award. I suspect that fare would be just enough to push you over the $5 AQM threshold!

-James
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:40 pm

N.B. be careful which fare you select, it needs to be a normal economy fare and not an Economy Basic fare (AQMs don't count there!)

-James
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by j2simpso
N.B. be careful which fare you select, it needs to be a normal economy fare and not an Economy Basic fare (AQMs don't count there!)

-James
Op has already indicated that s/he found a flight that hasn't been credited and that will push the op over the required AQD.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by 7s4s8s
Don't worry guys. I saw the updates to the thread before i flew. It looked like i was going to fly once more this year although i now know i wont.

In any case I found a single AC domestic boarding pass which was not credited. That should get me over, just waiting for it to post.
I am very glad for you that you were able to cross the finish line, but I must be honest and say I am disappointed for the community to not have the data point of what happens when one is literally $5 off the mark of a particular status.

I believe in my bones you would have just gotten the status but it may well be wishful thinking. I guess we'll never know!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I am very glad for you that you were able to cross the finish line, but I must be honest and say I am disappointed for the community to not have the data point of what happens when one is literally $5 off the mark of a particular status.

I believe in my bones you would have just gotten the status but it may well be wishful thinking. I guess we'll never know!
You really don't want to mess with those things! It would absolutely suck if you missed status by some trivial amount. I can tell you that UA sends out emails around January offering you to buy up to the next level of status for an exorbitant fee of several thousand dollars. My guess is AC is not that sharp and probably is willing to sacrifice the loyalty of a customer just to earn an extra $5 on fares!

Safe Travels,

James
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
You really don't want to mess with those things! It would absolutely suck if you missed status by some trivial amount. I can tell you that UA sends out emails around January offering you to buy up to the next level of status for an exorbitant fee of several thousand dollars. My guess is AC is not that sharp and probably is willing to sacrifice the loyalty of a customer just to earn an extra $5 on fares!

Safe Travels,

James
There is a whole thread on AC buy-up opportunities that have already gone out to customers this month - many of them actually quite reasonable.

I would just really like to think that AC would see the chance to create some goodwill by sacrificing $5.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:34 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

There is no definitive answer. If you want the status, the only guaranteed way to get it is to meet the requirements. There's a whole thread on this:

I am X miles short of P/E/SE. Will AC give the status anyway?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Well I will be very close and I am not going to have the chance to change that now. If you want a data point I can update this thread in the middle of January with the final AQD and my current status?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
The answer is YMMV. There are people on here given a status being quite a bit off while others far closer have not been. As Adam said, hit the requirements or be prepared to live without or with a lower status.

Or just do a 100k MR in January.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Good fortune! Hopefully it wasn't a Basic Economy boarding pass?
AQD has been offline for days now but it shows up as a "W" for domestic: Flex. Should be good.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Hopefully not a dumb question, but: Are you based in Canada? If not, AC halves the amount of AQD required to achieve status. If you are based in Canada now might be a good time to find residence elsewhere

-James
That is a very interesting bit of information. May have to look into this in future years.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Unsure where OP is located but another option is to find a short cheap AC flight this month and take it. Looking at Flights AC's got $90 one-ways between YTO and YUL starting next week. You could then enjoy YUL and/or simply fly back on an ErrorPlan award. I suspect that fare would be just enough to push you over the $5 AQM threshold!

-James
I looked into that, where i am those similar short/shorter flights are $300+
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

There is a whole thread on AC buy-up opportunities that have already gone out to customers this month - many of them actually quite reasonable.

I would just really like to think that AC would see the chance to create some goodwill by sacrificing $5.
I got the email but the site gave me an error. Would not even let me pay $899 for the $5 i needed.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by 7s4s8s
I looked into that, where i am those similar short/shorter flights are $300+
Where 'bouts are you based?

-James
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Where 'bouts are you based?

-James
I don't need flights anymore, i found a boarding pass which did not post. I should be over now, just waiting for AQD to come back online to confirm. Thanks though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.