Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: I need $5 AQD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
By definition, an upfare would be the same flights. And it shouldn't be that much more unless it's significantly sold out somes you booked it.
cow is right, call and ask because the price ranges you see online are for categories such as standard, flex, comfort, latitude. there are far more subcategories within each group, usually $20-50 at a time moves up the ladder rate code wise.
eracerblue and canadiancow like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jc94
AC only tends to automatically refund these in cases of LMU/eUp/Bid. Not paid for seats lost via a swap, I had to request it. But it does seem a bit of a chance.

In addition, I scanned the AC page on AQD wondering about BoB options and apparently bids and indeed seat selection do not count: I thought they did.

In terms of helping with this $5, is there still a known issue with AC sometimes not posting any/correct AQD? Might be worth a scan of your dashboard in case you have something (> $5) missing?

The only option excepting one being wrong, would appear to be an upfare.
Originally Posted by United757
Seat selection does not count towards AQD. jc94 is correct.
@7s4s8s !

Come back! I was wrong about seat selection... my apologies. You should just go the upfare option route as others have posted above.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:48 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
@7s4s8s !

Come back! I was wrong about seat selection... my apologies. You should just go the upfare option route as others have posted above.
Such a FOTSG! I've never even paid a seat selection fee on AC and even I, a bottom-feeder SE, knew this!

Originally Posted by 7s4s8s
  • Can I pay AC $5 straight cash money?
The upfare idea suggested by others is good. But it would be interesting to get the answer. Perhaps e-mail AC and see what they say?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Don't worry guys. I saw the updates to the thread before i flew. It looked like i was going to fly once more this year although i now know i wont.

In any case I found a single AC domestic boarding pass which was not credited. That should get me over, just waiting for it to post.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:10 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 7s4s8s
Don't worry guys. I saw the updates to the thread before i flew. It looked like i was going to fly once more this year although i now know i wont.

In any case I found a single AC domestic boarding pass which was not credited. That should get me over, just waiting for it to post.
Good fortune! Hopefully it wasn't a Basic Economy boarding pass?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
I'm going to be in the same boat - although I suspect it will be around $20.

I'm on a flight pass in Flex M for my last 4 segments this year (the last one being on Dec 31st) - I guess there is no way I can upfare that to something else?

I think I have pretty much given up and started on the egg nog instead
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by dr_torch
I'm going to be in the same boat - although I suspect it will be around $20.

I'm on a flight pass in Flex M for my last 4 segments this year (the last one being on Dec 31st) - I guess there is no way I can upfare that to something else?

I think I have pretty much given up and started on the egg nog instead
My go-to is buy my next flight pass before the end of the year. (I've selected AQM for that reason, rather than the eUps.)
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyquiet
My go-to is buy my next flight pass before the end of the year. (I've selected AQM for that reason, rather than the eUps.)
That doesn't help when you're short AQD though.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:27 pm

Hopefully not a dumb question, but: Are you based in Canada? If not, AC halves the amount of AQD required to achieve status. If you are based in Canada now might be a good time to find residence elsewhere

-James
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That doesn't help when you're short AQD though.
Won’t flight passes credit AQD at purchase too? Isn’t that why you can essentially “buy” SE status with certain full J unlimited 6 months ones or similar? Even though unlimited credit by month last I checked.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Hopefully not a dumb question, but: Are you based in Canada? If not, AC halves the amount of AQD required to achieve status. If you are based in Canada now might be a good time to find residence elsewhere

-James
If I change my Canadian address for a US one on Canada day do I need $10k, $15k, $20k or none of the above to qualify for SE?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:08 pm

Won’t flight passes credit AQD at purchase too? Isn’t that why you can essentially “buy” SE status with certain full J unlimited 6 months ones or similar? Even though unlimited credit by month last I checked.
Unsure on that one, but if it was the case I would suggest looking at something like the New York/Boston commuter pass at $736 for Ontario residents ($684 for those of us in Iqaluit!). The pass gives you 4 one-ways between YYZ/YUL/YOW and NYC/BOS.

If I change my Canadian address for a US one on Canada day do I need $10k, $15k, $20k or none of the above to qualify for SE?
The other FTers can correct me if I'm wrong here but my understanding is the amount of AQD required should be halved immediately once after you've changed your address on file. In your example you would need to earn $10K AQD to earn Super Elite during that program year (in addition to the other requirements like 100,000 AQM).

However, if you're interested in minimizing the amount of requirements to earn status, may I recommend looking into UA, A3 or OZ. UA has no dollar requirement for Canadians and credits most all fares (save Economy Basic) at 100% milage (for the purpose of qualification). OZ will give you up to 4 years of Gold once you hit 50,000 miles with them and grants you lifetime Gold status at 500,000 miles across * partners. A3 will give you Gold with 48,000 miles initially, you can then keep Gold with only 24,000 miles every following year with the amounts being halved if you fly 4 times with A3 in a year!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Regular passes credit when you fly.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:33 pm

AC makes it very clear about what consistutes AQD and what doesn't. Long story short, you'll earn AQD only on the ticket price (fare + YQ) on AC flights. Things like buy on board items, seat selections and most upgrades don't count towards AQD. The only exception they list are add-on payments made when processing an eUpgrade request.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
yeah, true, FPs accumulate AQD on consumption. I misread the shortage as AQM. Oops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.