FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Question: I need $5 AQD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1941634-i-need-5-aqd.html)

7s4s8s Nov 21, 2018 9:28 am

I need $5 AQD

I will be $5 short on my AQD for my next status after my last fight of the year. I have a return flight left but I don't want to spend the $500 to upgrade nor do I have the points.
  • Does seat selection count toward AQD?
  • Would begging for my next status work being $5 short?
  • Can I pay AC $5 straight cash money?
Does anybody have any ideas?

yyznomad Nov 21, 2018 9:32 am

Originally Posted by 7s4s8s (Post 30453087)
I will be $5 short on my AQD for my next status after my last fight of the year. I have a return flight left but I don't want to spend the $500 to upgrade nor do I have the points.
  • Does seat selection count toward AQD?
  • Would begging for my next status work being $5 short?
  • Can I pay AC $5 straight cash money?
Does anybody have any ideas?

1. Yes, seat selection counts toward AQD.
2. No, but AC is known to offer buy-ups, and if you are offered a buy-up, I assure you it will be more than $5. :) (Anecdotally, IIRC, they have also offered comp-ups, but only for those way-exceeding AQD and very close on AQM/AQS)
3. No. You'll have to pay via some sort of revenue stream to AC.

7s4s8s Nov 21, 2018 9:40 am

Thanks for the stupid fast answers. Are seat selections 1:1 $s?

ksm06 Nov 21, 2018 9:41 am

what about upgrading to a higher type / fare class of economy ticket if you are on one of the lower types? maybe call in and see if that's possible

yyznomad Nov 21, 2018 9:45 am

Originally Posted by 7s4s8s (Post 30453126)
Thanks for the stupid fast answers. Are seat selections 1:1 $s?

1:1 Canadian dollars (the pre-tax part), AFAIK.

7s4s8s Nov 21, 2018 9:49 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 30453148)
1:1 Canadian dollars (the pre-tax part), AFAIK.

Cool thanks. This makes it easy. The hard part will be trading seats with somebody on the plane. I don't like exit rows. :D

yyznomad Nov 21, 2018 9:52 am

Originally Posted by 7s4s8s (Post 30453164)
Cool thanks. This makes it easy. The hard part will be trading seats with somebody on the plane. I don't like exit rows. :D

Are you talking about paid general advanced seat selection because of your restrictive fare, or are you talking about preferred seats? Since you are talking about exit rows, it sounds like Preferred Seats.
Regarding preferred seats, be careful: if you get an aircraft swap and your seat changes to a non-preferred seat then you'll get a refund and most likely no AQD for those!

If I were you, I'd play it safe and do something like investigating an upfare (as per above suggestion) or other suggestions others might give in this thread.

7s4s8s Nov 21, 2018 9:58 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 30453176)
Are you talking about paid general advanced seat selection because of your restrictive fare, or are you talking about preferred seats? Since you are talking about exit rows, it sounds like Preferred Seats.
Regarding preferred seats, be careful: if you get an aircraft swap and your seat changes to a non-preferred seat then you'll get a refund and most likely no AQD for those!

If I were you, I'd play it safe and do something like investigating an upfare (as per above suggestion) or other suggestions others might give in this thread.

Everything is $100s of dollars more and involves more inconvenient routing. Ill hope for the best. Thanks.

yyznomad Nov 21, 2018 10:01 am

Originally Posted by 7s4s8s (Post 30453197)
Everything is $100s of dollars more and involves more inconvenient routing. Ill hope for the best. Thanks.

I know. So now it depends on how much of this risk you are willing to take. Good luck! I think your case is the closest AQD-wise we've had here so far.

7s4s8s Nov 21, 2018 10:05 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 30453202)
I know. So now it depends on how much of this risk you are willing to take. Good luck! I think your case is the closest AQD-wise we've had here so far.

Thanks, i will update this thread in any event.

jc94 Nov 21, 2018 11:07 am

AC only tends to automatically refund these in cases of LMU/eUp/Bid. Not paid for seats lost via a swap, I had to request it. But it does seem a bit of a chance.

In addition, I scanned the AC page on AQD wondering about BoB options and apparently bids and indeed seat selection do not count: I thought they did.

Currently, the amount you successfully bid to obtain an upgrade as part of the AC Bid Upgrade program does not count toward your AQD balance.

You will not earn AQD for other purchases, including:
  • baggage service charges
  • a Maple LeafTM Club membership
  • a Last Minute Upgrade purchase
  • standard or Preferred seat selection charges
  • Air Canada Bistro purchases

In terms of helping with this $5, is there still a known issue with AC sometimes not posting any/correct AQD? Might be worth a scan of your dashboard in case you have something (> $5) missing?

The only option excepting one being wrong, would appear to be an upfare.

United757 Nov 21, 2018 11:26 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 30453100)
1. Yes, seat selection counts toward AQD.
2. No, but AC is known to offer buy-ups, and if you are offered a buy-up, I assure you it will be more than $5. :) (Anecdotally, IIRC, they have also offered comp-ups, but only for those way-exceeding AQD and very close on AQM/AQS)
3. No. You'll have to pay via some sort of revenue stream to AC.

Seat selection does not count towards AQD. jc94 is correct.

canopus27 Nov 21, 2018 11:41 am

If you're measuring to the dollar (ok, 5 dollars), and you're projecting ahead for future flights ... be careful about assuming how many dollars from the upcoming flight will actually count as AQD. It's not 100% of what you paid ... you don't get credit for the taxes, etc. Unless you're absolutely certain, you might want to call in before the flight and have them tell you what the AQD for the flight will be.

canopus27 Nov 21, 2018 11:44 am

I agree with this, it's the most safe option.

canadiancow Nov 21, 2018 11:48 am

Originally Posted by 7s4s8s (Post 30453197)

By definition, an upfare would be the same flights. And it shouldn't be that much more unless it's significantly sold out since you booked it.