Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Bombardier Q 400's are Dinosaurs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Bombardier Q 400's are Dinosaurs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5mm
BEH sounds good to the old DC3's Air Ontario would fly out of T-Bay - Wpg flights in the early 80's.
Surely the DC-3 was quite a bit larger. BTW would that be Austin Airways, which apparently merged with air Ontario in 1987?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Far be it for me to call you out on this one.... but technically speaking..... the Q400 is a Dash 8.
Thanks. I actually thought about this after I posted. I should have been more specific and said DH1s and DH3s.
yyz_atc_qq likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Stranger
Surely the DC-3 was quite a bit larger. BTW would that be Austin Airways, which apparently merged with air Ontario in 1987?
Oh my, but they are a very loud airplane.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:47 am
5mm
Suspended

Don't know the ins and outs, but it was Air Ontario aircraft. DC 3 may have been larger, but they basically had no heat and louder than the BEH.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa
Originally Posted by yyznomad

Not me.
What he said + I actually find them quite acceptable for my YVR-YYJ-YVR and YYC-YEG jumps. The flight and cabin crew are invariably fun to be with.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by TheOnlyWayTo Fly
What he said + I actually find them quite acceptable for my YVR-YYJ-YVR and YYC-YEG jumps. The flight and cabin crew are invariably fun to be with.
I agree that the crew can make it fun. I did enjoy the E90 when it flew the early evening YEG YYC flight though.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by 5mm
Don't know the ins and outs, but it was Air Ontario aircraft. DC 3 may have been larger, but they basically had no heat and louder than the BEH.
The DC 3 sat 21 to 32 passengers. The Q400 seats 36, I believe.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
The DC 3 sat 21 to 32 passengers. The Q400 seats 36, I believe.

The 100 seats 37.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:49 am

The 100 seats 37.
Crap, I'm brain dead. Thanks for the correction. I multiplied 19 rows by 2. It should have been 4. Then subtract 1 DF should equal 74 on the Q400. Are there 20 rows?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Crap, I'm brain dead. Thanks for the correction. I multiplied 19 rows by 2. It should have been 4. Then subtract 1 DF should equal 74 on the Q400. Are there 20 rows?
From 1 to 20. First is only two seats. According to the seat map...
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:01 pm

From 1 to 20. First is only two seats. According to the seat map...
I was just going from the memory (and flawed math) of an old guy who rarely gets behind the first row.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Angry To all that responded to my post on Air Canada Bombardier Q 400 Dinosaurs

My thanks to those who responded and who know what they are talking about. Too many are too eager to respond without doing any research or knowing what they are talking about. I do know the difference between a Dash 8 and a Bombardier Q 400. My itinerary clearly states the plane was supposed to be a Bombardier Q 400. If Air Canada goofed and it really was a Dash 8 that wouldn't surprise me and if Air Canada had to switch planes to a Dash 8 no wonder the carry on wouldn't fit. The flight attendants offered to check my carry on all the way through to final destination (Ft Myers) but I had all my medications in it so couldn't accept. Ended up stowing it in under a seat in the last row. The rattling noise of the panels above truly drowned out all announcements - surely someone should be concerned about this but not one peep about this .
This was award travel and I knew the first of 3 segments would be in Economy. As far as Air Canada marketing the Dash 8 or the Bombardier Q 400 as Business Class and all the naysayers that commented about I have searched award travel and found several trips of 4 segment trips with only the first (Dash 8 or Bombardier Q 400) in "Business" and the remaining 3 in Economy. Not funny is it. Canadian should stop being so proud of Air Canada. It is good at poor service.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by letsflyright
My thanks to those who responded and who know what they are talking about. Too many are too eager to respond without doing any research or knowing what they are talking about. I do know the difference between a Dash 8 and a Bombardier Q 400. My itinerary clearly states the plane was supposed to be a Bombardier Q 400. If Air Canada goofed and it really was a Dash 8 that wouldn't surprise me and if Air Canada had to switch planes to a Dash 8 no wonder the carry on wouldn't fit.
So if you know the difference between a Dash-8-300 and a Dash8-400 (AKA as Q400), which one was it actually on that day?

This was award travel and I knew the first of 3 segments would be in Economy. As far as Air Canada marketing the Dash 8 or the Bombardier Q 400 as Business Class and all the naysayers that commented about I have searched award travel and found several trips of 4 segment trips with only the first (Dash 8 or Bombardier Q 400) in "Business" and the remaining 3 in Economy. Not funny is it. Canadian should stop being so proud of Air Canada. It is good at poor service.
So did the itinerary state that that leg was in economy, or in business? AFAIK Aeroplan shows business awards only if at least one leg is in business, and that seemed to have been your case, since as you say the first leg was identified as economy. And no, they don't show legs on Q400 as business. (The examples above were flukes that were actually corrected.)

BTW at least at some times of the year thay do fly A319s with a J cabin on the route too.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Try Aeroplan booking YLW to RSW One Way on Oct 27, 2019
You will see 1st segment on Business on a Dash 8 and the other 3 segments in Economy on all 4-5 options

I know my Itinerary showed a Bombardier Q 400 as the plane I was to fly in. So whoever said it was a DASH 8 must know more about what I actually flew in with the small bins

Last edited by Adam Smith; Mar 13, 2023 at 12:46 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by letsflyright
I know my Itinerary showed a Bombardier Q 400 as the plane I was to fly in. So whoever said it was a DASH 8 must know more about what I actually flew in with the small bins
There are (or used to be) 2 or 3 Q400s based in the West that had smaller bins (insufficient to fit a standard carry on) than all the rest of the Q400s in the fleet. Standard carry on fits fine in most (not all) Q400s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.