Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Bombardier Q 400's are Dinosaurs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Bombardier Q 400's are Dinosaurs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
OP is almost certainly confusing Q400s with older Dash 8s. Though they're old, I still have a lot of respect for the Dash 8s ... they go places many other planes won't.

Having said that, if the OP prefers a jet, then as noted WS offers some 737 service from Kelowna, alongside its Q400 service using fairly new planes.

If the OP wants to fly on a real dinosaur, then AC operates some of the oldest A320s in existence. Knock your socks off.

Last edited by Symmetre; Nov 15, 2018 at 3:54 pm Reason: added info
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Symmetre
If the OP wants to fly on a real dinosaur, then AC operates some of the oldest A320s in existence. Knock your socks off.
Indeed as IIRC some of the oldest AC A320's have be flying for almost 30-years.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by eigenvector
It's be just as fast to board a narrowbody jet if people were forced to part with their ridiculous bags like when boarding a Q400.
You take your bags onboard with you on the Q400. It is the dash 8s and CRJs that have the sky check.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I am fond of all things Dash: A tough, resilient and reliable aircraft. The claim of the aircraft being dinosaurs is rubbish. Jazz has 44 series 8-400 with an average age of 6.6 years. Although the series 8-300 with an average age of 28.4 years and series 8-100 at an average age of just under 30 years, are older, they were built to last and are properly maintained, if one goes by the published audits and inspections.
One cannot expect to have wide body aircraft on short hops, particularly in service to a minor small market. YXU is a much larger market, and more important, and it too has Dash service on many of its short flights.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
I actually prefer the DH1 and DH3 over the Q400... especially because those birds offer sky check.
arf04 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
I actually prefer the DH1 and DH3 over the Q400... especially because those birds offer sky check.
Me too. I find the DH1 and 3 to always be lots of fun to fly on. I am not particularly fond of the Q400, likely because AC has them on quite a few long segments. 3 hours in the Q400 is not much fun. For me, an hour is about my limit. I’d just as soon be on a CRJ, simply because they fly faster so you spend less time on them, plus they have Skycheck.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
One cannot expect to have wide body aircraft on short hops, particularly in service to a minor small market. YXU is a much larger market, and more important, and it too has Dash service on many of its short flights.
Nice try. YLW had 1.8 million passengers in 2017; YXU had 0.5 million in 2016. YLW is about 4x as busy as sleepy YXU. YXU is almost all Dash-8 and most AC service is (they've run YUL with a CRJ occasionally). And I think you mean mainline jet aircraft, not widebodies. Domestically you only see those frames between the major hubs - YYZ, YVR, YUL and YYC.

The reality is that WS has better service in the west. There is higher frequency on larger aircraft on almost all domestic Western markets except YVR. If you want to avoid Q400s Op, vote with your wallet. WS runs 737s out of YLW and you can always opt for the WS Encore fleet where at least you're guaranteed a NextGen aircraft. Even when both WS and AC run Q400s, the frequency difference is skewed far in WS's favour in the West.
scotchmeup likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I started my FF life off with 100+ BEH flights. So when I flew on the DH1 and DH3 for the first time, I thought I was in heaven. I also don't mind being in the DH4 doing the YTZ YUL hops.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I started my FF life off with 100+ BEH flights. So when I flew on the DH1 and DH3 for the first time, I thought I was in heaven. I also don't mind being in the DH4 doing the YTZ YUL hops.
But wasn't the BEH much more fun?
Jebby_ca and canadiancow like this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Stranger
But wasn't the BEH much more fun?
Looking back, yes.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Looking back, yes.
heh, my fist BEH flight was after getting off a 777. the cockpit swing doors and a tray of pop being passed from pax to pax was about as different as it could get.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:53 am
5mm
Suspended

BEH sounds good to the old DC3's Air Ontario would fly out of T-Bay - Wpg flights in the early 80's.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Love those BEHs. Especially on landing, if the pilots kept the cockpit door open.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
You take your bags onboard with you on the Q400. It is the dash 8s and CRJs that have the sky check.
Far be it for me to call you out on this one.... but technically speaking..... the Q400 is a Dash 8.
canadiancow and D404 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5mm
BEH sounds good to the old DC3's Air Ontario would fly out of T-Bay - Wpg flights in the early 80's.
I only started flying in the early 2000s, so I'll take your word for it! I'm only speaking to my point of reference and experiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.