Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Bombardier Q 400's are Dinosaurs

Air Canada Bombardier Q 400's are Dinosaurs

Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down Air Canada Bombardier Q 400's are Dinosaurs

Flying out of Kelowna (YLW) BC travellers really have only 2 choices. WestJet or Air Canada. WestJet uses modern 737 jets and modern Bombardier propeller Q 400's on short hauls Air Canada occasionally flys jets (Air Canada Rouge) but primarily (90%) flys old run down propeller Q 400's on short hauls. These planes are dinosaurs that should be scrapped. Carry on luggage may fit in the sizer but it doesn't fit in the overhead bin unless it's a tiny back pack at best. Announcements made by either the cockpit crew or the flight attendant cannot be heard, much less understood, because of the vibration noises from the often loose rattling panels in the planes interior or the old prop engines that shake themselves silly. The biggest joke of all is Aeroplan sometimes markets these dinosaurs as "Business Class" on Award Travel. Getting to Vancouver or Calgary or Edmonton or Victoria via Air Canada means enduring a 1 to 1 1/2 hr flight on these dinosaurs and should be avoided if at all possible. Does anyone share my feelings on these "should be extinct planes" ? Air Canada should be embarrassed about this lousy service.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uh?

The AC and WS Q400 are essentially identical. Neither featuring a business class section. But of course an award that includes additional legs in business will end up as business award.

Perhaps the OP wrongly refer to older Dash-8 models operated by AC as Q400, which they are not?
acysb87 and Admiral Ackbar like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
AFAIK, the Q400s for both WestJet and Air Canada are the exact same propeller aircraft.

You are probably thinking of the Dash 8s which yes are a little long in the tooth. From an economics point of view, I am sure they are worth their weight in gold, though.

Also, Aeroplan would never market these as business class. You can get J points from YLW to YYZ in J but your first leg will be in Y (it will be noted on Aeroplan's website that this portion would be in Economy). When you book a ticket, the points are not calculated segment by segment but rather origin to destination. So if you get a J reward but one leg doesn't have J, you do not get a discount for that.

As folks would say, speak with your wallet. If you prefer the 737s out of YLW go for it. It is only an hour flight, which I am sure connects you to some more modern aircraft .
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Also, Aeroplan would never market these as business class.
They actually have.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27466463-post3.html
Twickenham and Zeeflys like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:41 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by letsflyright
Flying out of Kelowna (YLW) BC travellers really have only 2 choices. WestJet or Air Canada. WestJet uses modern 737 jets and modern Bombardier propeller Q 400's on short hauls Air Canada occasionally flys jets (Air Canada Rouge) but primarily (90%) flys old run down propeller Q 400's on short hauls. These planes are dinosaurs that should be scrapped. Carry on luggage may fit in the sizer but it doesn't fit in the overhead bin unless it's a tiny back pack at best. Announcements made by either the cockpit crew or the flight attendant cannot be heard, much less understood, because of the vibration noises from the often loose rattling panels in the planes interior or the old prop engines that shake themselves silly. The biggest joke of all is Aeroplan sometimes markets these dinosaurs as "Business Class" on Award Travel. Getting to Vancouver or Calgary or Edmonton or Victoria via Air Canada means enduring a 1 to 1 1/2 hr flight on these dinosaurs and should be avoided if at all possible. Does anyone share my feelings on these "should be extinct planes" ? Air Canada should be embarrassed about this lousy service.
I would not call them embarrassing or dinosaurs at all. They are perfect aircraft for short flights. How many J seats do you think airlines are going to sell on these short routes? Airlines could careless less about the J award tickets. Plus, Westjet also fly's the Q400 on these routes, which are about the same age as AC's. AC's D300's are going to be update to match the Q400's soon.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: AC 35k
The WS Q400s are all Next-Gen aircraft which are nicer. AC flies some older Q400s and maybe even a few original Dash 8-400s but has several NextGens too. The DH3s and DH1s are easy to avoid on most routes. I really like the Q400 and prefer it to the CRJ200s.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:40 pm

Flying out of Kelowna (YLW) BC travellers really have only 2 choices. WestJet or Air Canada.
You seem to be overlooking Air North, CMA, Flair, PCA. And Alaska/Horizon, for service to Seattle.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Coincidentally, I am reading this post as I roll into YYZ on a DH1.

Tell me OP, if you were the finance guy for an airline, what period of time would you amortize this huge capital investment over?
trooper and quantumofforce like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
While not a plane I look forward to flying, I'll take a Q400 over an E145 any day.
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Maybe it's just me but I actually like the Q400s since deplaning and boarding doesn't take 10 years.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: FOTSG
While it may be far from the fanciest aircraft in the sky, I was at the Jazz launch party for the DH4 in a YYZ hangar only a few months after you joined FlyerTalk (June 3rd, 2011 to be precise)... So I wouldn't quite call it a "dinosaur".
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I also like the Q400 they are nice planes for smaller communities on quick routes

Last week I flew YYC - YEG on one of the four or five Q400 AC bought from another party that has the smaller bins. I cannot remember from who and how many AC received from a US Airline. The interior is different and AC staff refers to them at 74 and not 78 due to the seating.

I try to avoid the older Dash 8 - 300 just like most folks

Tomorrow I will be on a Q400 again between YYC & YEG
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
The vast majority of Jazz's Q400 are next gen. There are 10 (Fin 489-498) that are the previous generation of Q400 with smaller overhead bins. From memory, those that have SR in their registration (eg: G-FSRY) were previously flowned by Sky Regional between YUL-YTZ and were acquired from Lynx Aviation.Those that have JZ (Fin 494-498 eg: C-GJZN) are former US Airways as mentioned in the previous post
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Does anyone share my feelings on these "should be extinct planes" ?
Not me.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
Maybe it's just me but I actually like the Q400s since deplaning and boarding doesn't take 10 years.
It's be just as fast to board a narrowbody jet if people were forced to part with their ridiculous bags like when boarding a Q400.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.