Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYC Fall Do - 3rd Annual Burgers & Scotch evening - December 8, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Calgary Fall AC FT Do - 3rd Annual Burgers & Scotch Evening

Date: Saturday, December 8th
Boarding Time: 18:00
Reservation is under Adam Smith

Current Availability - The Do is sold out.
J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 O0 E0 N0 R0 I0 Y0 B0 M0 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 G0 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0 X0
This Do is operated in an All-J+PY configuration like SQ's SIN-EWR flight.
​​​​​
Confirmed pax
Adam Smith +1
KDS777
YYC3722 +1
zone1boarding
folkart
King Chung Huang
canadiancow
AmericanBovine
yyznomad
10yroldsuperelite
rehoult
YEG_SE4Life
expert7700
Bohemian1
WR Cage +1 (early arrival and early departure)
nomadic.relief
BlondeBomber
SearsTower
cooleddie
HerpaYvr
24left - who doesn't love surprise guest appearances, lol

Signed up for EF alerts on Do availability, but not yet committed to the Do
​​​​​

Only come to Dos with T-shirts / don't like burgers or Scotch / committed to eating burgers and drinking Scotch elsewhere that night
Nitehawk
YHZTraveller (excuses may include having to go to TPA, or trying to avoid sleeping in the doghouse)

Important Event Notes - FAQ
  • Wait, isn't it winter in December in YYC?
    Technically it's still fall until December 21st, so I can still call this a fall Do. But yes, it's likely to be winter conditions. It's YYC in December, after all

• Don't you know it's Christmas party season, you jerk? No way I can get away / I won't be able to get a babysitter / it's possible that Uber will have surge pricing later in the evening.
    My Christmas party is the night before and I have no kids, so it works just fine for me

• Will I be able to enjoy a delectable menu with a flair for International cuisine, fine wines, and unequalled service?
    No. There will be no hockey puck beef. The pastas won't all have spinach. There will be great booze. And the service will be good. And no Random capital Letters (outside of this Sentence).

Important Event Notes (real ones this time!)
  • The burger and Scotch theme is purely optional. Those are the specialties of the restaurant, but you're free to have a salad and a diet Coke, fish and white wine or whatever floats your boat.
  • There will likely be a deal on some Scotch tasting flights - details TBD.
  • The Do host has not achieved Dorian's level of wealth and generosity. No T-shirts or other swag will be provided. Unless people want some AC pens, I have a bunch of those lying around. Or unless yyznomad shows up with some of his headphones and other goodies.
Print Wikipost

YYC Fall Do - 3rd Annual Burgers & Scotch evening - December 8, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Buchanan's would normally stay open until 11. If there's a large group of us still hanging out and purchasing beverages, they may or may not stay open a bit longer. I think last year's Do wrapped up a bit earlier than that, although I believe a subset of the group went to a house party and/or other venues as a sort of after-Do. I'm thinking @canadiancow and @SKYEG may have been part of that, but I don't really remember - I'm an old man and went to bed.
Ok, it sounded like it wrapped up not too long after we left.

Now compiling my stash of giveaway AC memorabilia to bring with me.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
@jaysona and I left to catch the redeye last year... what time did last year's DO end? Did Buchanan's stay open later to accommodate the DO?
Buchanan's would normally stay open until 11. If there's a large group of us still hanging out and purchasing beverages, they may or may not stay open a bit longer. I think last year's Do wrapped up a bit earlier than that, although I believe a subset of the group went to a house party and/or other venues as a sort of after-Do. I'm thinking @canadiancow and @SKYEG may have been part of that, but I don't really remember - I'm an old man and went to bed.
Ok, it sounded like it wrapped up not too long after we left.

Now compiling my stash of giveaway AC memorabilia to bring with me.
What time do bars stop serving in YYC? That's when it ended.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
i am now confirmed landing estimated 359pm yyc time
canadiancow and Adam Smith like this.

Last edited by expert7700; Nov 16, 2018 at 9:56 pm
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by expert7700
And what about the rest of the family?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:06 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
2AM is the cutoff.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey @jaysona you joining us this year?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
They are coming as well. Though 10yroldsuperelite has never done AC's unaccompanied minor service and he'd enjoy taking a different flight in, testing UM service, etc.

Brings a whole slew of ?s up, such as would AC waive this fee for SE, would concierge perform the meet at jetway and accompany to the lounge, etc.

In old Air Canada marketing concierges are trained to "never say no to a request unless it is illegal."

Opening paragraph of aticle below makes it seem we have been depriving him: "One of the great thrills of any childhood is to travel as an unaccompanied minor. Kids on a flight by themselves feel excited, special, and of course sometimes a little nervous."

https://skyriders.aircanada.com/blog/article/ensure-smooth-travels-for-unaccompanied-minors

Last edited by expert7700; Nov 19, 2018 at 5:37 am
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:09 am

They are coming as well. Though 10yroldsuperelite has never done AC's unaccompanied minor service and he'd enjoy taking a different flight in, testing UM service, etc.

Brings a whole slew of ?s up, such as would AC waive this fee for SE, would concierge perform the meet at jetway and accompany to the lounge, etc.

In old Air Canada marketing concierges are trained to "never say no to a request unless it is illegal."

Opening paragraph of aticle below makes it seem we have been depriving him: "One of the great thrills of any childhood is to travel as an unaccompanied minor. Kids on a flight by themselves feel excited, special, and of course sometimes a little nervous."

https://skyriders.aircanada.com/blog...mpanied-minors
Amusingly, given the schedules of Frontier and AC, you could drop him off at check-in at T-90 or whatever they require, catch your Frontier flight, arrive before him, then be waiting. Unless your flight is delayed. But mine should get in half an hour before the LAS, so there are several options.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I really meant was when did the last DO attendee leave Buchanan's?

2AM is the cutoff.
So the DO lasted until 2AM at Buchanan's?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:38 pm

I left Buchanan's at 2349, we walked for 32 minutes (the next place we went to had a line I think), then we ended up at Beer Revolution at 0021, where I remained until 0138.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I left Buchanan's at 2349, we walked for 32 minutes (the next place we went to had a line I think), then we ended up at Beer Revolution at 0021, where I remained until 0138.
I guess you'll be doing similar this time around?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:19 pm

I guess you'll be doing similar this time around?
Without my favorite nomadic, that may be hard. But I'm sure we'll manage.
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Without my favorite nomadic, that may be hard. But I'm sure we'll manage.
It's not too late to get @nomadic.relief to join us. Where there's a will...
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
It's not too late to get @nomadic.relief to join us. Where there's a will...
What if we all need flu shots? A couple of stiff scotch shots, then a needle for Relief.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
What if we all need flu shots? A couple of stiff scotch shots, then a needle for Relief.
A shot of Ardbeg Corryvreckan is just as good, if not better, than a flu shot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.