Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYZ National / Holiday DO 2018 Saturday, December 22, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
  • Date: Saturday, December 22, 2018
  • Time: from 15:30 (3:30PM) EST onwards
  • Location: WVRST at Toronto Union Station (reserved under diddy or Flyertalk DO)
  • Map, address and phone # below

Originally Posted by diddy
I can confirm that on this particular day, WVRST will be the best! We are a go for our group there. Booking under "diddy" and "Flyertalk DO". I'm looking forward to trying it out and seeing you all again.
​​​​​​

Will Attend:
diddy
yyznomad
RoutingWonk
songsc
yyz_atc_qq
The Lev
24left
Shareholder
j2simpso (Matress run before Platinum runs out )
znke252
SteadyAT

Waitlist:
Melville

Not Impossible:
allbrosca

Meh; Not this time:

Bumped:
canadiancow (paid Aeroplan $75 to not attend)

Print Wikipost

YYZ National / Holiday DO 2018 Saturday, December 22, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by The Lev
I saw plenty of beers listed on the menu.
Indeed. I saw this one and laughed

"INCORRIGIBLE / 650ml / berliner weisse / 4.5% "

.....I'd have gone for the Krug.
I was offered both onboard. I had the Krug and decided I liked the Dom better. Not sure why as the Krug I had on NH F was excellent.

However, the bonus with either bottle was the handsome guy in the suit who was serving

Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Looks like I'll be in the ketchup this weekend for a mattress run due to a chain which shall remain nameless having more supply than AC has PR seats on YYZ > YUL (and also me having more Via preference points than I can shake a stick at). Needless to say I'm putting on the Ritz before my Platinum status goes away come 2019

Look forward to DOing it again!

-James
Are you trying to requalify with Marriott or not? You mention "before my platinum status goes away..." so I don't really understand your mattress run comment.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by CanRulez
Are you trying to requalify with Marriott or not? You mention "before my platinum status goes away..." so I don't really understand your mattress run comment.
Platinum is going away in 2019 regardless of what I do at this point. I was SPMarriott Gold from my UA Gold (grandfathered into Platinum for 2018) and thought I'd enjoy the Platinum benefits before they run out.

The hotel I'm staying at in downtown TO is currently listed at $107 CAD with my AAA discount, which when combined with existing promotions (i.e. SPMarriott 2000 bonus promotion), credit cards, elite status, free breakfasts, etc means I'll at worst break even on the transaction. Possibly get a little ahead, since the 3 elite night credits will be useful for getting lifetime status (I've been at least SPMarriott Gold since last year).

-James
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
A downtown Toronto hotel for only $107? That’s a great price, no?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by CanRulez
A downtown Toronto hotel for only $107? That’s a great price, no?
It's an acceptable price, granted it's only a downtown Westin! For someone who prides themselves on flying on $500 CAD k fares on UA between LHR and LAX I'm always looking for the best deals.

-James
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
CAA/AAA rates like that are not uncommon, which is why I usually get my membership because the savings can be pretty awesome at properties.

And as a data point, $107 (CAD or USD) rate at the Westin Harbour Castle is really good, anytime of the year, even for this FOTSG who used to fly extensively on Y and P fares and who will be grandfathered into Starriott LTPPE.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
CAA/AAA rates like that are not uncommon, which is why I usually get my membership because the savings can be pretty awesome at properties.

And as a data point, $107 (CAD or USD) rate at the Westin Harbour Castle is really good, anytime of the year, even for this FOTSG who used to fly extensively on Y and P fares and who will be grandfathered into Starriott LTPPE.
Precisely why I still have my CAA card even though I no longer own a car, drive, or live in Canada! The discounts alone on Via Rail and hotels more than make up for the annual fee.

In my case that's CAD. Maybe I'm a cheapskate but my standard is $100 CAD or less a night. Rarely have I exceeded that budget save for that one time I needed an extra stay at a Hilton to get 20,000 bonus points which I applied for a week at the Hilton Bali.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Precisely why I still have my CAA card even though I no longer own a car, drive, or live in Canada! The discounts alone on Via Rail and hotels more than make up for the annual fee.

In my case that's CAD. Maybe I'm a cheapskate but my standard is $100 CAD or less a night. Rarely have I exceeded that budget save for that one time I needed an extra stay at a Hilton to get 20,000 bonus points which I applied for a week at the Hilton Bali.

Safe Travels,

James
My data points are based on weekly bookings at properties across different chains in the SPG brand side at 200+ cities worldwide. ~$100 rates are just not common anymore, especially in downtown locales... even at the lower rung brands like FP and CY... and these low CAA/AAA rates are not always available every day of the year... Westin Harbour is no exception. I sometimes find corporate rates cheaper than the CAA/AAA rates.

But when I do find a great rate, I cherish the moment with a bubble bath, candles, and sensual music.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@songsc @songsc

I have more old menus for you... 2004-2006 if you're interested. If not, that's fine too.

(the frickin tagging mention tag isn't working atm)

Last edited by yyznomad; Dec 22, 2018 at 12:27 am
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diddy
I can confirm that on this particular day, WVRST will be the best! We are a go for our group there. Booking under "diddy" and "Flyertalk DO". I'm looking forward to trying it out and seeing you all again.
I've updated the wiki to include the reservation names.

"diddy" and "Flyertalk DO"
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:41 am

Arrived into the ketchup last night and after visiting the VIA arrivals lounge prior to closing promptly checked in to the Westin and passed out.

Got woken up this morning by some pretty good views of YTZ (I'll let you guys identify the skunk in the photo):

-James
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I'll be bringing more stuff... AC menus, AC pillow/blanket kit, etc.
yyznomad,
Thanks for the previous collection of earbuds. That was very generous of you, as well as the other attendees who passed theirs on to me. The earbuds have been given to many appreciative kids. If anyone has more of these to donate, they will be put to good use.

Thanks
Old Dec 22, 2018, 6:58 am

Just had CO breakfast (MSRP of $32.77 incl vat) free c/o my grandfathered Platinum status. Obviously made the most out of it as a k Fare traveler:

This brings the out of pocket down to $74 on the rack, not taking the thousands of SPMarriott points being collected (naturally I declined housekeeping for 1000 bonus points). Here's to hoping I get a category 2 redemption off this run!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:01 am

I saw plenty of beers listed on the menu.

I'd have gone for the Krug.
Originally Posted by 24left
Indeed. I saw this one and laughed

"INCORRIGIBLE / 650ml / berliner weisse / 4.5% "

I was offered both onboard. I had the Krug and decided I liked the Dom better. Not sure why as the Krug I had on NH F was excellent.

However, the bonus with either bottle was the handsome guy in the suit who was serving

Any advice for champagne to celebrate a special occasion (e.g. getting into to PhD programme)? I may need such a bottle in a couple of months!

-James
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
The joys of being a slave to the almighty dollar has led me to be unable to attend. I accepted working. I wish I could learn to not spend so much and then I'd be more willing to say no to an OT shift. Sorry guys. One of these days we'll make it happen!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.