Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
For those of you interested only in the revised $450-million deal and related discussion, it starts on post 418:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1926409-update-aimia-accepts-air-canada-td-cibc-visa-revised-450-million-aeroplan-bid-28.html#post30109427
Print Wikipost

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Maybe those of us who fly a lot and work the program know what we are in for. I've burned down about 800,000 points in the last 13 months. Down to 15,000 miles. As SE and with MrsITAG SE, we'll continue to accrue, but until we know what is going on, it's 'burn baby burn.'
I have always burned. Trend is always for these to devalue. Currently just above 100k, but I was below that throughout the earlier part of the year. To me the deal with AC somewhat reduces the pressure on burning. Not totally convinced there will be more massive devaluations. There were already enough of these. At the end of the day issue will hinge on what the banks end up paying for miles. Grsnted that having them on board of the deal icreases their bargaining power.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
What I learned today: 86% of Canadians collect Air Miles.
I feel like I m missing out? Am I?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Well, you're missing something ... 55%, not 86%: "Some 86 per cent of those who belong to an airline rewards program belong to Air Miles, the equivalent of more than half (55%) of all Canadians." (emphasis added)

That said, I've never seen the value in Air Miles either.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:54 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by PB53x11
Well, you're missing something ... 55%, not 86%: "Some 86 per cent of those who belong to an airline rewards program belong to Air Miles, the equivalent of more than half (55%) of all Canadians." (emphasis added)

Good for toasters. And coffee machines.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by PB53x11

I occasionally get $10 off my grocery order. That's better than a toaster. The dream miles have very little value now. I burned all of mine up on hotel rooms, but I get much better return on using cash miles for food. Air Miles are worse than useless for TATL flying.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by smallmj
I occasionally get $10 off my grocery order. That's better than a toaster. The dream miles have very little value now. I burned all of mine up on hotel rooms, but I get much better return on using cash miles for food. Air Miles are worse than useless for TATL flying.
Air Miles almost never trump Aeroplan for flying, unless I am out of priority awards, or there is a better option on another airline. Even as an Onyx member the "discounted" flights never seem to be available.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://business.financialpost.com/p...or-450-million

MONTREAL — Air Canada has signed a definitive agreement to buy the Aeroplan loyalty program from Aimia Inc. for $450 million in cash.

Under the deal, Air Canada will also assume $1.9 billion of Aeroplan miles liability. The definitive agreement follows an announcement in August of a tentative sale.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: A3, AC
Email from TD about the above:

I am pleased to be writing to you today to share the news that we have finalized a long‑term agreement with Air Canada to be the primary credit card issuer for Air Canada's new loyalty program when it launches in 2020.1With this agreement, we are excited to have taken this important step to secure long-term stability, continuity and value for millions of Canadians, including you, our TD Aeroplan customers. We believe you will be happy with the benefits and choice the new Air Canada loyalty program will give you when it comes to meeting your travel needs.You can continue to earn and redeem Aeroplan Miles as you do today, and your current Aeroplan Miles will transition to the new Air Canada loyalty program in 2020.1In the meantime, should you have any questions about your Aeroplan membership or the Aeroplan program, you should contact Aimia at 1‑800‑361‑5373 or visit www.aeroplan.com.Here's a link to Q&As for additional information. If you have additional questions about your TD Aeroplan credit card, please call us at 1‑800‑983‑8472.Thank you for your continued business.Katy Boshart
Canadian Credit Cards
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:27 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
A couple of key points:

Additionally, Air Canada remains in negotiations with American Express, which also issues Aeroplan co-branded products, to secure its continued participation in the Aeroplan program after 2020.
So there may be a role for Amex to play, although it's odd that it refers to Aeroplan rather than the new AC program. I can't see AC maintaining both a new program and Aeroplan.

Also, some info on the financials of the whole thing: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...imia-1.4920551

(For those of you not counting, the banks are paying the entire purchase price and then some, in order to get this deal done with AC, including securing arrangements on the post-2020 AC program. There's also an unspecified payment from Visa Canada on top of that. So, once again, AC did not buy Aimia, nor did it buy Aeroplan.)
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder what this will do for AMEX transfers into AC...
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: AC 35k
I do. They're free, and then you get the odd $10 off. This is like saying "86% of Canadians use coupons when they see them". You're missing out but I have no idea how much money you have, so maybe you don't care?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
I do. They're free, and then you get the odd $10 off. This is like saying "86% of Canadians use coupons when they see them". You're missing out but I have no idea how much money you have, so maybe you don't care?
In nearly 20 years, I have collected about 800 Air Miles, mainly at LCBO and Sobeys, I would assume.
Do I get anything?

I cant see AC give up the AMEX transfers, especially in the US market.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by cyralax
Email from TD about the above:

I can tell you that both MamaTwick and I found the email confusing, as it makes no mention of the sale of Aeroplan - it almost acts as if it doesn't exist. Whether AC is proceeding or not with the setting up of their own program, they're essentially building it on the carcass of AE, and for the email to not even acknowledge that is strange to say the least
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
it's odd that it refers to Aeroplan rather than the new AC program. I can't see AC maintaining both a new program and Aeroplan.
The way I see it, AC is basically' upcycling' Aeroplan :P.

I wonder what this will do for AMEX transfers into AC...
As Membership Rewards and their associated cards are completely separate from the AMEX co-branded Aeroplan cards, I would say absolutely nothing.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
how have you earned so little? i have almost 6k just this year... its not hard to watch for promo's and other bonus miles opportunity's . 800 sounds like $16000 worth of base miles at Sobeys and LCBO of 1 per $20 as you can see base is useless its all about promos

still seems amex is in talks according to the CBC article so there cards will hopefully also stay
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by Adam Smith

So there may be a role for Amex to play, although it's odd that it refers to Aeroplan rather than the new AC program. I can't see AC maintaining both a new program and Aeroplan.

Also, some info on the financials of the whole thing: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...imia-1.4920551
looks like CBC revised that last sentence...

"The airline says it is still in talks with American Express, which also issues Aeroplan co-branded cards, to secure its continued participation"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.