Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
For those of you interested only in the revised $450-million deal and related discussion, it starts on post 418:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1926409-update-aimia-accepts-air-canada-td-cibc-visa-revised-450-million-aeroplan-bid-28.html#post30109427
Print Wikipost

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Could be wrong but I thought AMEX also had a transfer option into ANA and Singapore airlines.
You would be wrong. Amex Canada only has AP&BA as 1:1 partners, Alitalia, Delta, Etihad and Asia Miles as 1:0.75 partners.

(and Hilton at 1:1 and new-SPG/MR as 5:6)
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
But that doesn't solve the problem of AE not having a *A transfer partner anywhere! One of the appeals of the AE airline program is you can transfer points to all the major alliances (i.e. DL for SkyTeam, BA for OW, Aeroplan for *A). That being said, the fixed points travel program is appealing, especially when fares are cheap enough since you'll earn PQMs on those flights!

-James
IIRC someone up thread made a request earlier as your posts can be confusing. Please refer to American Express as AMEX (or possibly AX, or MR for Membership Rewards). On the AC forum AE is the common abbreviation for Aeroplan (although AP is sometimes used too).

I see your handle and know what you’re referring to, but if someone comes across your post and reads text similar to the part I’ve underlined they could be confused.

Last edited by YEG USER; Aug 21, 2018 at 9:45 pm
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Smiley90
You would be wrong. Amex Canada only has AP&BA as 1:1 partners, Alitalia, Delta, Etihad and Asia Miles as 1:0.75 partners.

I stand corrected.....

Perhaps after 2020 AMEX Canada needs to talk to some of their sister AMEX banks about getting an AP replacement.

I have a AMEX Canada card. I did look at the AMEX Portugal some time back, it transfers to TAP program. I believe ANA and Singapore are options in the US AMEX.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by cyralax
Just got the email blast from AC. Anyone notice in the email preview there’s a mention of a 15% discount? Using gmail.

Also in my Shaw Webmail subject line.. ahh.. from the company that was going to build its own program!

Ron.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Smiley90

Let's hope the Canadian dollar goes up and is close to par when AMEX Canada negotiates with a new airline partner. That way it would be more likely for them to be a 1:1 partner.

I suspect when AMEX Canada was negotiating with AZ, DL, EY and CX, the Canadian dollar was around 0.75 USD per CAD hence the 1:0.75 ratio. In the US it is basically USD 1.00 = 1 MR = 1 airline point.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
Actually that statement seems to remain accurate. They are still going ahaed with their new program.

Goal of the "purchase" is to reassure people won't lose their AE miles, that's all. Apart from that, Aeroplan is more or less an empty shell. And would have got worse as the demise date would be approached. Worthless. Still, I suppose this is good news for AE employees.
Yeah, I don't understand why people continue to say otherwise.

AC has been very clear and consistent through the last year that they are building their own program. Nothing about that has changed.
ffsim and canopus27 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
AC has to say they are still building their own loyalty program, until ae is actually bought and brought in-house. Once it's in, AC can suddenly announce they'll enhance ae. If AC doesn't want to enhance ae, we should expect declining maintainability/service of ae.
pitz, doesun and jc94 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by yscleo
AC has to say they are still building their own loyalty program, until ae is actually bought and brought in-house. Once it's in, AC can suddenly announce they'll enhance ae. If AC doesn't want to enhance ae, we should expect declining maintainability/service of ae.
I was actually looking forward to the AE garbage fire. Points be dammed.

Creating a new "in-house program" could very simply be marketing, unifying naming and status, tweaking redemption levels and scam charges, spit and polish.

The AE infrastructure needs a wholesale gutting or rebuild from the ground up. It is slow, clunky, limited, buggy, and down half the time.

My hope is that at very least AC allocates more classic reward seats, or finds ways to dynamically allocate more, closer in, based upon loads. Giving elites other than top tier a few IKK Priority at classic rates would also be easy and deserved - especially if elites ride out this mess.
canadiancow and roubaolic like this.

Last edited by eracerblue; Aug 22, 2018 at 10:40 am Reason: punctuation
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yeah, I don't understand why people continue to say otherwise.

AC has been very clear and consistent through the last year that they are building their own program. Nothing about that has changed.
Yes, but it is more than just re-assuring members about points retention. It is about getting all that member data, card agreements, and any and all other contractual arrangements and data that Aeroplan has; that is where the value is to AC.
eracerblue and 24left like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: no status
practical implication of AC/AE transaction

Given the news about the AC/AE partnership dissolving I have pretty much given up on point maximization/collection practices over the last year and instead focused on finding the most effective way of using my 240k points as I anticipated massive further devaluation. Now that it looks like AC is turning back the wheel to re-integrate the AE program I assume members have guesses what this will do to the value of our points. So from a practical point of view, is it still a good idea to use up points as fast as possible as the new structure will also mean further devaluation, or is there any reason to be optimistic and see potential benefits in holding on to points?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by eracerblue

I was actually looking forward to the AE garbage fire. Points be dammed.

Creating a new "in-house program" could very simply be marketing, unifying naming and status, tweaking redemption levels and scam charges, spit and polish.

The AE infrastructure needs a wholesale gutting or rebuild from the ground up. It is slow, clunky, limited, buggy, and down half the time.

Agree with all points.

I don't care if AC says they are still going ahead with their "new" program.

I care that their current website sucks and has sucked ever since someone approved it and someone else's ego got in the way of fixing it. If nothing else, the version prior to it at least provided an easier booking and more info with less white space. The version before that, while toothpaste and all, was speedy, functional and informative.

I care that there are ridiculous change fees and penalties on Aeroplan tickets. It's money in the bank and I don't see AC giving up that dinero.

I care that Aeroplan has either great agents, or lower quality and less skilled and informed ones. Same can be said for AC.

I don't want to continue to battle those idiotic issues of miles not posting for either flights or bonuses.

I care that the bonus promos are poorly structured and coded. I want to know why AC/Aeroplan can't issue instant emails confirming registration in a promo like AA and others can.

Aeroplan closed their international call centre line and worse, they operate on non 24/7 hours in a 24/7 world. I care that you can't reach anyone at Aeroplan by email. I care that customers are left stranded on the other side of the world with no one to call and this is a huge issue for those without status.

I care that the Aeroplan site and the AC site and IMO, the iOS app, are extremely poor, slow etc, in an era when they could be so much better.

I don't care that AC and Friends bought Aeroplan back for lunch money. I care that the crap gets fixed.

Just saying......

(appropriate emoji lest you all think I'm angry. I'm just not impressed)
eracerblue and jc94 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
*shakes magic 8 ball*

Nope. We still don't know anything.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
In Canada, the AP relationship should be important to Amex and if I were them, I'd be worried about how attractive this makes their card portfolio to Canadian consumers. For example, the current Platinum charge benefits in Canada pale in comparison to the US, and I think the only thing that causes people to stick to that card here is MR + AP, especially if the cardholders already have Altitude status. If post 2020 MR delinks from AP, not sure whether a Delta/WJ thing is going to make a difference - those cardholders will just migrate to the equivalent CIBC or TD Visa product and they are not the type of customers Amex Canada would want to lose.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by robsaw
Yes, but it is more than just re-assuring members about points retention. It is about getting all that member data, card agreements, and any and all other contractual arrangements and data that Aeroplan has; that is where the value is to AC.
That's entirely orthogonal to what I said though, so I'm not sure why you quoted me.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Merlin666
Given the news about the AC/AE partnership dissolving I have pretty much given up on point maximization/collection practices over the last year and instead focused on finding the most effective way of using my 240k points as I anticipated massive further devaluation. Now that it looks like AC is turning back the wheel to re-integrate the AE program I assume members have guesses what this will do to the value of our points. So from a practical point of view, is it still a good idea to use up points as fast as possible as the new structure will also mean further devaluation, or is there any reason to be optimistic and see potential benefits in holding on to points?
Air Canada's initial offer to buy Aeroplan included terms that would waive contractual obligations (until 2020) they agreed to when Aeroplan was spun off.

So I'd say brace for devaluations of Aeroplan miles as soon as the deal completes. Air Canada will devalue Aeroplan miles as soon as they can (ie: 2020). Air Canada is known for being stingy/greedy and seeking to offer the minimum possible in terms of value and compensation to consumers often at the cost of negatively affecting customer recovery/satisfaction/loyalty. They are far from being like Alaska Airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.