Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
For those of you interested only in the revised $450-million deal and related discussion, it starts on post 418:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1926409-update-aimia-accepts-air-canada-td-cibc-visa-revised-450-million-aeroplan-bid-28.html#post30109427
Print Wikipost

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
Can we envision the near impossible, that AC would not charge scam fee on awards?

Or this is a fantasy in our dreams?
Eliminating the third party to the deal could open up various possibilities (not all of which are good for you), but I wouldn't expect anything to change in the short-term.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
So if AC rebrand the new 2020 loyalty plan "Aeroplan+" their IT changes would be cosmetic only on the front end and business as usual on the backend (i.e. the people would still retain their AE numbers).
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by trek604
So if AC rebrand the new 2020 loyalty plan "Aeroplan+" their IT changes would be cosmetic only on the front end and business as usual on the backend (i.e. the people would still retain their AE numbers).
At this point, I fully expect people to retain their numbers, but I wouldn't expect much to be the same on the backend.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by trek604
Oh no, don't say that. The backend is horrendous.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Perhaps AC will adopt the Delta SkyMiles approach to booking; One portal,;the AC purchase point where customers will be given the option of purchasing with $; Miles/Points or a combination. This is the most likely change and one which would eliminate the cost/burden of maintaining 2 booking portals. Easier to have one trained group of personnel and one system to maintain.
And of course at some point a devaluation of points, again. I can book J-RT YYZ-BKK/HKG/SIN with China Eastern @ 160,000 and sometimes 300,000 with DL. I expect we will see similar; 175,000 with Air China, or 250,000 with Air Canada.

I don't know what will happen, and I am at the point where I don't really much care. I am just waiting on West Jet to get it's act together and to offer TPACs,
TorontoGooner likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis First, AA Gold
On the surface it appears like AC bullied their way through this. AC likely just kept Aeroplan from going into another carrier's hands. The Porter air thing was kind of a joke, I think they bumped up the bid for bigger reasons. One can only speculate.

Hopefully AC sees this as an opportunity to bring the loyalty program up to the standards they seem to be setting with the updates in services and routes to attract/retain frequent flyers. If this happens they just gained a large number of reasonably loyal customers' attention before Westjet (and perhaps others) start targeting their core customers with better perks. As a card carrying business traveler I hope for the best here. The old program was gutted and hope they use the energy they saved trying to replicate Aeroplan on incentives for FFs to stick with them.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer

I don't know what will happen, and I am at the point where I don't really much care. I am just waiting on West Jet to get it's act together and to offer TPACs,
Oh wo/man... that would be pretty awesome!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Oh wo/man... that would be pretty awesome!
I'd rather fly Westjet than Rouge TPAC so I'm all for that.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:39 pm

Can anyone on here with a legal background (not the speculating wannabe lawyers) offer guidance on the solidity of the Amex contract with Aeroplan? I presume the presence of Visa in this consortium is going to shut out Amex. But Amex has a contract with Aeroplan until June 30, 2020. Will Aeroplan under consortium ownership have to honour that contract? Will I, therefore, have until June 30, 2020, to make MR point transfers to Aeroplan? Or does the consortium have the ability to boot Amex as soon as they assume formal ownership?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimmac
Can anyone on here with a legal background (not the speculating wannabe lawyers) offer guidance on the solidity of the Amex contract with Aeroplan? I presume the presence of Visa in this consortium is going to shut out Amex. But Amex has a contract with Aeroplan until June 30, 2020. Will Aeroplan under consortium ownership have to honour that contract? Will I, therefore, have until June 30, 2020, to make MR point transfers to Aeroplan? Or does the consortium have the ability to boot Amex as soon as they assume formal ownership?
Contract should stay in place. So I would think Aeroplan Amex should be OK, as long as AC does not introduce (temporarily) two types of Miles, say Altitude miles and AE miles. And maybe, after most people convert, devalue the latter. But is amex contractually obliged to transfer miles from non-Aeroplan cards? And if at one point there are two classes, would one want to transfer?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by jimmac
The contract would survive, all other things being equal, but it's entirely possible that the contract includes unilateral termination provisions in the event of a substantial change such as this. I have no idea if this is the case, but it could be. Even the real lawyers would have to see the contract to give an answer without speculation
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I'd rather fly Westjet than Rouge TPAC so I'm all for that.
No no. Fly EVA in the front.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
No no. Fly EVA in the front.
If going to TPE, sure. If it's the same number of connections as alternatives, why not. But adding a connection is not necessarily desireable.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: A3, AC
Just got the email blast from AC. Anyone notice in the email preview there’s a mention of a 15% discount? Using gmail.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by cyralax
Just got the email blast from AC. Anyone notice in the email preview there’s a mention of a 15% discount? Using gmail.
Yup, mine just arrived. No mention anywhere of any discount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.