Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
For those of you interested only in the revised $450-million deal and related discussion, it starts on post 418:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1926409-update-aimia-accepts-air-canada-td-cibc-visa-revised-450-million-aeroplan-bid-28.html#post30109427
Print Wikipost

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:52 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger
That was quite a bit before the bankruptcy and the Aeroplan spin off.
Yes, but AC was forced to hold Canadian debt.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by pitz
I think its very negative for status customers personally as the CC points collecting is here to stay, and CC points collectors with status will be able to derive disproportionately more 'reward' for their loyalty with AC than just pure AC premium customers. Thus doing nothing to fix the flaws of the existing AC/AP arrangement that true AC FF's have come to despise.
Except it seems that the CC points collecting makes airlines way more money than "premium customers" .... These self proclaimed "premium customers" will get screwed long before cc collectors with the new program.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
You say no because you don't want AC Visa Infinite cardholders (aka bottom line feeders, riff raff, kettles..) to get access to free checked bags and want to keep that benefit limited to elite status flyers, or because you honestly don't think AC will match the WestJet credit card offer ?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MasterGeek

the pigs r gonna fly Westjet more then
Fine with me
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mapleg
Fine with me
the nobility's contempt of commoners is strong around here
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You say no because you don't want AC Visa Infinite cardholders (aka bottom line feeders, riff raff, kettles..) to get access to free checked bags and want to keep that benefit limited to elite status flyers, or because you honestly don't think AC will match the WestJet credit card offer ?
1. I probably do have that benefit indeed. I would not know.

2. I probably buy tickets that provide for free luggage. I seldom check luggage.

3. I honestly don't think AC will match.

I think luggage pigs should pay for the extra fuel they spend. If only because it's good for the environment.

Plus, taking your whole wardrobe on a trip to Hawaii is pointless, stupid, serves no purpose and the wardrobe does not get used anyway. Only advantage is that the plane burns more fuel.

(OK, if you want to accuse me of prejudice against stupid people I'll plead guilty. )
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

You're just making assumptions of who is a commoner vs who is nobility.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with churning credit cards to earn Aeroplan miles to fly. If there was, AC and the banks would make people collect toasters or something.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with those who fly for work or MRs or to see family, and actually pay cash for their seats and earn miles, points and status doing so.

And some do both.

And Marie Antoinette is long gone and still there are those who are still harping about the non-existent 1%.

We fly. We pay for our flying. We earn Aeropesos and AQM and so on. Some of us actually enjoy flying. Others enjoy toasters.

Happy travels.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
In nearly 20 years, I have collected about 800 Air Miles, mainly at LCBO and Sobeys, I would assume.
Do I get anything?
A minimum of $80. I got ~330 bucks from them by getting BOM card and now $330 worth of booze is on them.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
A few more peons with free checked bags would actually improve nearly everyone's life as zone 5 invariably has to gate check bags on >90% of the segments I've been on in the last year.
pitz and MasterGeek like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:52 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by 24left
We fly. We pay for our flying. We earn Aeropesos and AQM and so on. Some of us actually enjoy flying. Others enjoy toasters.
So, you are saying flying toasters would hit the sweet spot?

I'm not sure, but it might improve the garlic bread.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Random thoughts: did anyone even thought of those bottom feeders actually reading this forum? I only get my points from my credit cards and I do not appreciate the tone set. "This world would be a whole lot better if we just made an effort to be less horrible to one another." -- Ellen Page.

The flying toasters were designed by the father of one of my most successful mentees... thanks for the memories, I needed happy thoughts this week.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by chx1975
Random thoughts: did anyone even thought of those bottom feeders actually reading this forum? I only get my points from my credit cards and I do not appreciate the tone set. "This world would be a whole lot better if we just made an effort to be less horrible to one another." -- Ellen Page.

The flying toasters were designed by the father of one of my most successful mentees... thanks for the memories, I needed happy thoughts this week.
First.......

Originally Posted by 24left
You're just making assumptions of who is a commoner vs who is nobility.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with churning credit cards to earn Aeroplan miles to fly. If there was, AC and the banks would make people collect toasters or something.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with those who fly for work or MRs or to see family, and actually pay cash for their seats and earn miles, points and status doing so.

And some do both.

And Marie Antoinette is long gone and still there are those who are still harping about the non-existent 1%.

Happy travels.

Second.....

Everyone is a bottom feeder, it's just a matter of where and what

There are a lot of people on FT and RFD and so many other forums who get their miles from credit cards. There are also those who get their miles for paying for seats and flying. And then, there are those who do both.

The issue I think some have with Air Canada and their new bed partners - CIBC, TD and VISA, is that some of us perceive that those who churn cards or spend lots on non-flying to earn their Aeroplan miles are now seen to be more valuable customers within this new partnership. While American Airlines recently admitted that they didn't make money from actual flying but they made a ton from the partnerships with the banks and credit cards, I think AC still made money from flying but those with far better finance knowledge can provide that info.

While we all wish the world to be a happy place, it isn't. We have to make our own. If your enjoyment from flying is a result of the points you earn with cards, then who cares what anyone else thinks. I used to think that those who spend to fly were more valuable to AC, but apparently that may not be the case. Who knows.

Happy travels.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: IHG Gold

I am not the one using the word pigs. That was your description.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:17 am
Suspended

not mine https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...&postcount=638
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did. As in "luggage pigs," which I thought was obvious.

(But alas, apparently not...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.