Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC faces new competition from WestJet's new lie-flat 787 business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC faces new competition from WestJet's new lie-flat 787 business class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I knew as soon as I read the original comment that somebody would forget to include the time it takes to drive from their starting point to YVR airport, arrive at least an hour ahead of the flight, fly to Edmonton and add the time it takes to disembark and travel home from YEG. Now add that to a 9-hour delay, and presto! likely 12 to 13 hours.
She was at the airport 1 hours drive from her aunts to YVR, 2.5 hours prior to take off. flight time of 1.5 hours, 7 hour delay, 30 minutes for baggage, 1 hours drive home from YEG. = 13.5 hours. From her aunts house it is an 11.5 hour drive with a stop for gas.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by danapop
Big difference. First, with WS not in alliance with AF/KLM/DL, its not really the same thing. AFAIK, its a code share agreement, Nothing more.

Second, the biggest difference is frequency of flights to/from Europe is dramatically different. On any given day you have multiple AC fights to and from LHR to YUL/YOW/YYZ/YVR/YYC. WS doesn't have that. If something happens in LHR (for example) there is significantly less capacity to deal with the IRROPS and accommodate passengers on alternative flights to Canada.
Actually WestJet and Delta are creating a transboarder joint venture.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland
TB not International.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:48 am
5mm
Suspended

I knew as soon as I read the original comment that somebody would forget to include the time it takes to drive from their starting point to YVR airport, arrive at least an hour ahead of the flight, fly to Edmonton and add the time it takes to disembark and travel home from YEG. Now add that to a 9-hour delay, and presto! likely 12 to 13 hours.
I would still take a "9 Hours flight", plus check in time instead of driving that route. The 12/13 hour drive is best case. That drive can turn into 15 to 20 hours or more very quickly.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
She was at the airport...2.5 hours prior to take off. .
Wow.

Originally Posted by 5mm
I would still take a "9 Hours flight", plus check in time instead of driving that route. The 12/13 hour drive is best case. That drive can turn into 15 to 20 hours or more very quickly.
OK. That choice was never under debate; just the math was.

There will be fewer driving options from Dublin, Paris or Gatwick.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by 5mm
12/13 hours is not "best case." It is standard time. We make the drive twice a year (summer and winter) and not once has it taken 15-20 hours. Not once. Not even during barrier fires of 2003 when we had to divert via fraser valley.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:42 am

Wow.

Not her choice. She is seasoned enough to no go that earlier. Her family OTOH, likes to be early. And he aunt had to work so needed to drop off then..
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:11 pm
5mm
Suspended

12/13 hours is not "best case." It is standard time. We make the drive twice a year (summer and winter) and not once has it taken 15-20 hours. Not once. Not even during barrier fires of 2003 when we had to divert via fraser valley.
You have been Lucky. I have done that drive 6 to 8 times a year for 30 years. To do it in 12 hours, you have to average well over 100km. Many times around Blue River(winter)lucky to average 50kms with road conditions. My YVR DT office to my Edm off(Westend)is over 1300 km.

Anyways, back to subject.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:16 pm

Large Canadian research firm, a 30 minute paid interview $150, whoever the sponsor was they received their monies worth from me.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Fiordland
"Creating" and "have created" are very different things.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
AC / *A are much better positioned to get you home when trouble starts brewing. WestJet can’t do that as effectively.
AC has taken more than 24 hours to get me from YYZ to YYC, In my limited disruption experience WS has always handled it better than AC. WS was "Git 'er done" and AC was "Computer says no"
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jagboi
In my limited disruption experience WS has always handled it better than AC. WS was "Git 'er done" and AC was "Computer says no"
In my limited experience WS has actually been bad. Possibly more dishonest than AC. After a delay that would result in misconnection and a 24 hours delay to final destination if keeping the same itinerary and first WS flight, started by denying the delay, inventing all sort of excuses as to why it was not possible to check in on the connecting flight. Until I had them call a manager who admitted. And accepted to rebook on another airline, mitigating the issue.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Jagboi
AC has taken more than 24 hours to get me from YYZ to YYC, In my limited disruption experience WS has always handled it better than AC. WS was "Git 'er done" and AC was "Computer says no"
My record was AC taking 26 hours to get me from YEG to YXE. It is the longest delay relative to distance traveled. Several years ago. Snow storm, caused delays into Calgary, canceled the midnight flight from Calgary to YXE due to mechanical. Booked onto zombie flight the next day that only existed in the computer system but not in real life. Re booked connecting in YVR.

I would say WS historicaly was worse with IROP. That said AC has had its own problems over the years. They are both getting better. Today I find they are on par with each other domestically.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:04 pm
Original Member

I am not saying AC is perfect... But having been involved in IRROPS in Europe with both AC and WS, AC has far greater ability and capacity to deal with things than WS does.
And yet every time there is a major snow storm or similar event, Air Canada seems to utterly crumble while WestJet invents creative and effective new ways to make the best of a bad situation.

I'm sure the next one will be no different.

(PS And like others I was regularly stranded by Air Canada for more than 24 hours, even as a perpetual Super Elite. Often times I had to fix the problem myself because it seemed completely beyond Air Canada's ability to make even small adjustments or accommodations to improve things. Things like claiming that I couldn't depart from a different airport during a hurricane because Portland, ME was more than 500 miles from Boston, MA. The was one of the last incidents before I stopped flying Air Canada. Here's one of the first: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/16857-show-me-button.htmlIn between there are a million others.)

"More than 500 miles."

Last edited by KenHamer; Dec 17, 2018 at 10:10 pm
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Coming back to the issue, I expect there will be enough people who (1) prefer to fly WS, (2) want to try it and end up liking them.
Especially the YYC folks. Especially the CDG flights with no connection. I also would imagine the quality of the soft product will be better than AC. And that they will price more than competitively at least initially.Given the small business cabin, they should have no difficulty filling it up. Which ultimately will lead to AC improving the soft product too. After 20 years of cost-cutting on catering and drinks. But eh, am I indulging in wishful thinking? I'll stick to AC anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.