Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The NO THANKS CONCIERGE thread: Documenting the failure and deviation of the service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The NO THANKS CONCIERGE thread: Documenting the failure and deviation of the service

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Is Concierge no longer a 24 hour service? Just tried calling and was automatically redirected to the SuperElite line (no option to indicate whether I'm traveling today or not -- I am). It's 1:18pm Shanghai / 1:18am Toronto time right now.
Overflow from IROPS today
capedreamer likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Is Concierge no longer a 24 hour service? Just tried calling and was automatically redirected to the SuperElite line (no option to indicate whether I'm traveling today or not -- I am). It's 1:18pm Shanghai / 1:18am Toronto time right now.
I am having exactly the same problem - this is particularly annoying as OLCI is not working for me and the folks on the SuperElite line are unable to check me in - has to be done by a Concierge. This has been going on continually since 10am Saturday Sydney time - it is now 8pm Sydney time (6am Toronto time)
capedreamer likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 4:47 am
Original Poster

"Hi 24left and geoflying. I'm with the senior executive team at Air Canada. As a premium customer and SuperElite, you are extremely important to us.

Can you let me know a little more about what time you called the Concierge lines, and a little more about your interaction with the SE line? Also, generally overall, your impression of the SuperElite Concierge service based on your most recent experiences? We know that we have some service issues and are eager to fix them; indeed, this was mentioned as a priority in a recent customer service triage call with our CEO. Feel free to contact me - [email protected]"

----

Oh, wait, Such a comment is a fantasy.

You'll never see such a message from AC. They don't care. And the service continues to fail.
skybluesea likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Argh... just had another VERY frustrating experience with this issue.

I was booked on AC26 (PVG-YVR) and AC344 (YVR-YOW) with a 6 hour connection in YVR.

We arrived on time around 11:10am PT, and given my Latitude ticket, I wanted to try to switch to an earlier connection via YYZ that would get me to YOW before the original ETA of 1:20am ET.

As soon as we touched down, I tried calling the Concierge line and was immediately redirected to the SE desk. The SE agent was friendly but said he’d have to reach a Concierge agent at the airport to make a SDC. I then waited on hold for ~35 minutes as the SE agent tried to reach a Concierge agent. During this time, I cleared customs and security and reached the MLL while still on hold. I explained my situation to the MLL agent, who was somehow able to call and reach a Concierge agent right away.

While the Concierge agent was talking to the MLL agent, the SE agent returned to the line and said that he was able to hold a seat for me but couldn’t exchange the ticket. He said that only the Concierge can do that and apologized for not being able to reach one. At this point, the MLL agent handed the MLL phone to me, and the Concierge agent on the line explained that the SE agent needed to do something different with the file. With one phone in each ear, I couldn’t help but laugh at the situation. The Concierge agent then suggested I ask the SE agent to call her; the SE agent lamented that he’s tried many times but keeps being put on hold. The Concierge agent then took my number, suggested we all hang up, and asked the SE agent to call her again, explaining: “He knows our direct line; unfortunately, I can’t give it to you.”

Eventually, they were able to sort it out, and the Concierge agent called me at 12pm to inform me that I now had a seat on AC116 to YYZ boarding at 12:20pm PT (connecting to AC476 arriving into YOW at 10:30pm ET).

So good outcome in the end, but a ridiculously stressful hour spent on the phone. If the Concierge agent were as easy to reach as the SE desk (or if the SE agent could do the same things as a Concierge agent), this could have all been avoided. Sigh...
Old May 11, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Wow, 15 minutes on hold and still going here. On the bright side they're telling me all about Signature Service and the Comfort fare while I'm on hold.

Wait times have become the norm when calling the concierge.
skybluesea likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
"Hi 24left and geoflying. I'm with the senior executive team at Air Canada. As a premium customer and SuperElite, you are extremely important to us.

Can you let me know a little more about what time you called the Concierge lines, and a little more about your interaction with the SE line? Also, generally overall, your impression of the SuperElite Concierge service based on your most recent experiences? We know that we have some service issues and are eager to fix them; indeed, this was mentioned as a priority in a recent customer service triage call with our CEO. Feel free to contact me - [email protected]"

----

Oh, wait, Such a comment is a fantasy.

You'll never see such a message from AC. They don't care. And the service continues to fail.
I did receive such a call, but it was a couple of years ago. I was on the phone with a Concierge when the central Concierge line was new. I was given incorrect information as to whether something could be done.. I hung up and later (or the next day) received a call from the 'Manager, Concierge Standards' apologizing that I was given incorrect information. Not a SVP, but someone that was concerned that I did not receive what I should have received.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yvr76
Wow, 15 minutes on hold and still going here. On the bright side they're telling me all about Signature Service and the Comfort fare while I'm on hold.

Wait times have become the norm when calling the concierge.
Yup same wait times last week before I gave up
Old May 11, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I found that when I emailed the concierge team, I would always get a response within a couple hours max and subsequent back-and-forths resulted in near-immediate responses.
But then again, I started doing this for non-immediate issues.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
TL/DR: Concierge line, now that new call center is open in Montreal, seems like it is answered by rookie agents. YYZ no longer has a concierge on site 24/7.

Full story:
After a cancellation under AC control EWR-YYZ after 20hrs of international travel, we were delayed and on standby for 4hrs for the next flight which was then pushed another 2hrs. This put us in YYZ after 1:30am.

-Concierge in EWR and phone concierge agreed to pick up hotel voucher in YYZ. Knowing how it is hard to book a room after midnight (plus possibility of sellouts, etc) I had to remind them of this to have it arranged before we arrived.

-YYZ concierge office was locked but after 10-15min the phone agent got someone to come out with a voucher.

-NOT given the usual super elite Sheraton in terminal. I questioned this and was told it was full. I then called Sheraton who said they have rooms. The true disagreement was over price, AC had run out the deepest discount bucket. In the past, policy has always been overridden for Super Elites (I've heard the conversations while the concierge in front of me calls to do so).

-I pointed out voucher said 1 person single occupancy and we were 3 people, asked for a simple correction. Concierge refused to fix and said not to worry hotels don't care.

-After taking limo to Marriott airport hotel, front desk manager refused to check us and pointed to the voucher saying 1 person. Manager wanted AC to deliver a new voucher or us to pick up. After more delay we put concierge and manager on phone. They agreed that an email from the concierge would suffice and we put him on the line while they worked out the details.

-BED BUGS at Toronto Airport Marriott. First time we have ever found them. (terrible platinum welcome gift). We stay 120+ nights a year at hotels, and my OCD routine is that I strip down bedsheets and check mattress box spring and headboard for bugs. Caught one and took it to manager with internet photos confirming what it was. Told them we were walking out and insisted on voucher back. Insisted on a prepaid taxi back on Marriott's dime.

-Conciege office was still locked when we tried to return voucher. Called concierge line. After a few minutes of checking with his superiors he admitted that Toronto had no concierge on duty until 5:30am and he had no advice on what to do. We could leave it with ticketing desk which opens at 4am or with concierge at 5:30. (last I knew, before the new call center, I was told there is ALWAYS at least one concierge on site at YYZ 24hrs).

-So we then tried to rest. Three super elites. In the airport on chairs by the closed concierge office for a while and on a bench by the car rental offices till 6am.

-

Last edited by expert7700; Aug 8, 2018 at 5:18 pm
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by expert7700

-So we then tried to rest. Three super elites. In the airport on chairs by the closed concierge office for a while and on a bench by the car rental offices till 6am.
-
My prefered Solution, and fortunately I must admit, is just pull out CC and send bill to AC later - hit & miss with resolution

life’s too short to rely on so-called status when sleep far more important to longevity and health.

sorry to hear about your excursion - Concierge team is part of the lipstick on a pig that AC is trying on at present
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skybluesea

My prefered Solution, and fortunately I must admit, is just pull out CC and send bill to AC later - hit & miss with resolution
Actually, sending the hotel bill to the CC insurance. Let them deal with AC. Works wonders.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Stranger
Actually, sending the hotel bill to the CC insurance. Let them deal with AC. Works wonders.
I do this every other time and this time in hindsight I should have just gone from EWR to NYC and taken the flight AC had auto reconfirmed us for the next day. On a forced overnight in transit, Chase would (and has) paid us for a $500 hotel on my ticket, $500 in meals on my wife's, and $500 for transit/clothing/etc on my son's. But since YYZ was our ticketed destination it would have been an uphill battle to claim a hotel there.

Concierge said if we walked to the in terminal Sheraton and paid, we could try claiming it back to AC customer sercice but it would be denied.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by expert7700

Concierge said if we walked to the in terminal Sheraton and paid, we could try claiming it back to AC customer sercice but it would be denied.
Trained. And I doubt it.

I can't count the number of fights Ive gotten in with cabbies not accepting AC chits to take me to one of the offsite hotels. But it is exactly the same number of trips I've taken in cabs to offsite hotels.

I'm having none of that again.

OTOH, I'm still annoyed at $17 martinis that are by default served with vodka.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
@expert7700

Wow. Sorry to hear about all of that. Disappointing to hear. And yes, I've always gotten overrides to the property of my choice (at least, the property of my choice was ok with them so far).
I guess I'm still lucky with the bed bug situation (that I know of... certainly haven't taken any home with me yet) given my 1,700+ nights at Starwood properties alone.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:31 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Plumber
I did receive such a call, but it was a couple of years ago. I was on the phone with a Concierge when the central Concierge line was new. I was given incorrect information as to whether something could be done.
There was a time when there was no such thing.

My how things have changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.