Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The NO THANKS CONCIERGE thread: Documenting the failure and deviation of the service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The NO THANKS CONCIERGE thread: Documenting the failure and deviation of the service

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by expert7700
I do this every other time and this time in hindsight I should have just gone from EWR to NYC and taken the flight AC had auto reconfirmed us for the next day. On a forced overnight in transit, Chase would (and has) paid us for a $500 hotel on my ticket, $500 in meals on my wife's, and $500 for transit/clothing/etc on my son's. But since YYZ was our ticketed destination it would have been an uphill battle to claim a hotel there.

Concierge said if we walked to the in terminal Sheraton and paid, we could try claiming it back to AC customer sercice but it would be denied.
How were you able to secure hotel vouchers if YYZ was your ticketed destination? I understand you got into YYZ late due to AC's cancellation and then further delay, but not sure how that could possibly end up with a hotel voucher in YYZ.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
How were you able to secure hotel vouchers if YYZ was your ticketed destination? I understand you got into YYZ late due to AC's cancellation and then further delay, but not sure how that could possibly end up with a hotel voucher in YYZ.
Good question.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
They got me into YYZ 6 hours late, fatigued by being up so long and I did not feel safe to drive.

AC first denied hotel and offered us a limo ride home because YYZ was the end of our ticket. While I was agreeing to the limo I asked the concierge to double check my address. They cut me off mid sentence and said they just noticed I lived 3+ hours by car and that hotel vouchers would be fine.

I didn't notice that the car rental center was closed at the time of arrival, that would have been a good reason as well.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've never had luck having them override hotel when they were out of their preferred rate. I just don't ask anymore.

If they don't proactively offer a hotel, I use my credit card insurance.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by expert7700
I didn't notice that the car rental center was closed at the time of arrival, that would have been a good reason as well.
AFAIK, YYZ Hertz (both terminals) does stay open until afterl the last delayed-but-non-cancelled flight arrives for the operating day. Either that, or they just stay open for me.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by yyznomad
AFAIK, YYZ Hertz (both terminals) does stay open until afterl the last delayed-but-non-cancelled flight arrives for the operating day. Either that, or they just stay open for me.
They likely would have stayed open but I changed my arrival time to a morning T1 arrival as a courtesy once AC had offered me a hotel.

Hertz app shows 58 rentals year to date. Love the upgrades, but Hertz YYZ often has issues posting my correct return, and are nearly impossible to reach by phone. which lead to minor hassles like the latest: "please un-report the Alfa Romeo I returned a month ago stolen when I have photos of the return and you have been re-renting it to others...."
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:35 am

replied to a different post

Last edited by detjason; Aug 9, 2018 at 8:43 am Reason: replied to a different post
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:42 am

You cant get there from here

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
So I dropped my golf bag off at YYZ today, US departures.

I get through to CBP, and get a hit that I have to go back to the back room to wait for it to be screened.

30 minutes in, I get concerned.

It turns out, the bag was never imaged.

They don't know where it is.

They don't know if it is still in the back room, or might have gone to the plane.

It took an hour and 15 to resolve, with me pushing them to make multiple calls. The excuses from AC came fast and furious - that luggage is contracted out, etc. It was only when I began to push them and had 3 of them on the phone, working the ramp, inside and CBP to find it that they resolved it.

They lost it. Then found it. Within the first 20 feet.

(And in the middle of all this, I called the Concierge to see if they could help. They still haven't called back. See my separate thread of Concierge Fails)

It turns out the lady never scanned it, and I was told I should have waited and asked her if she actually had a scan.

I tell you, some days this airline manages to go beyond basic incompetence to something that is world class incompetence. I mean, it didn't even get beyond the first step!
I know this thread has become more of a thread about how to reach Amex Concierge, but I just have to comment that I am amazed at what some people expect from this service. The OP was present at the airport and communications with three people who had the most knowledge about a lost piece of luggage. How could a concierge on the phone possibly be able to provide better information on where your bag is or find the right people who would know.

Perhaps the worldwide wide support number would have been a better option, but either way, I still don’t see what could be done as a search was being conducted. Maybe if you were at your destination and your bag didn’t show, maybe if you were about to take off and wanted them to start making calls while you were in the air, but still. They have luggage protection to reimburse you, not special skills to find luggage that the airport don’t have.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by detjason
I know this thread has become more of a thread about how to reach Amex Concierge, but I just have to comment that I am amazed at what some people expect from this service.
There were people involved. They were quickly dropping the ball and moving on to other projects, just like GA's. My experience has been that when their inertia settles in and they start to ignore you, the Concierge can have a wonderful ability to get them back into motion.

How is that wrong?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
There were people involved. They were quickly dropping the ball and moving on to other projects, just like GA's. My experience has been that when their inertia settles in and they start to ignore you, the Concierge can have a wonderful ability to get them back into motion.

How is that wrong?
It isn't wrong. That's what they are there for (to aid the SEs when things go wrong). Perhaps Detjason's error is in thinking that this is an AMEX Concierge, as mentioned in his post. I believe that we are talking about the AC Concierge service in this thread.
mromalley likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Maybe.

As I said: "...with me pushing them to make multiple calls. The excuses from AC came fast and furious - that luggage is contracted out, etc. It was only when I began to push them"

The default action of any Air Canada customer service rep is inaction. AC Concierge's can sometimes invoke basic laws of physics.

I don't get why he thinks it is wrong. Whatever.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Agree that the inability to speak to Concierge right away (which was always possible before and almost never now IME) is a major downgrade in the program.
Welcome to the club of other non-SE's flying in a class of service that is supposed to be entitled to the concierge service!
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by detjason
I know this thread has become more of a thread about how to reach Amex Concierge, but I just have to comment that I am amazed at what some people expect from this service. The OP was present at the airport and communications with three people who had the most knowledge about a lost piece of luggage. How could a concierge on the phone possibly be able to provide better information on where your bag is or find the right people who would know.

Perhaps the worldwide wide support number would have been a better option, but either way, I still don’t see what could be done as a search was being conducted. Maybe if you were at your destination and your bag didn’t show, maybe if you were about to take off and wanted them to start making calls while you were in the air, but still. They have luggage protection to reimburse you, not special skills to find luggage that the airport don’t have.
This thread is not about AMEX concierge.

It's about the Air Canada Concierge, which is not the same.

The Air Canada Concierge can certainly assist with luggage issues and have done so in the past for Super Elites. It's well-documented here on FT for the last 15+ years.
canadiancow and mromalley like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by ridefar
Isn't it supposed to be a benefit of TPAC/TATL paid J/C/P/Z/D as well?
All paid business class on an International flight operated by AC, excluding the domestic connector portion (unless it is a Signature service flight)*, services at the concierge office, Aeroplan/*A redemption, eUpgrade and LMU. The latter are exclusively available to SE only.

*If you fly YYZ-YVR-PEK, you will not be eligible for concierge service at YYZ unless it is Signature service flight, including access to the concierge office at the priority check-in counter. Supposedly you should receive full concierge service at YVR and PEK and vice versa. In other words, if you YYZ-YVR is operated by an A321, too bad. Book one with a Signature business class cabin.

Last edited by Clipper801; Aug 9, 2018 at 9:47 am
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Clipper801
All paid business class on an International flight operated by AC, excluding the domestic connector portion*, services at the concierge office, Aeroplan/*A redemption, eUpgrade and LMU. The latter are exclusively available to SE only.

*If you fly YYZ-YVR-PEK, you will not be eligible for concierge service at YYZ, including access to the concierge office at the priority check-in counter. Supposedly you should receive full concierge service at YVR and PEK and vice versa.
I believe that Concierge service is now a part of the Signature Service for transcon J as well. This is new this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.