Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The NO THANKS CONCIERGE thread: Documenting the failure and deviation of the service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The NO THANKS CONCIERGE thread: Documenting the failure and deviation of the service

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've said it many times, but if AC had better technology powering all their systems, the concierge service wouldn't be required. Or it would be rarely required.
This.

Another example:

Weather waiver issued and published on AC's website. Online rebooking tool does not work. Calling the regular AC line or SuperElite desk results in me being asked to call AP because it was an AP redemption and they claim they can't help. Calling AP, I'm told to call back later because Ticketing hasn't opened yet.

Then I call Concierge, and the issue is resolved in 3 minutes. After that experience, why would I ever try anything else other than calling Concierge directly?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:23 pm
Original Member

For many, many years the concierge service has only been a pale imitation of the original concierge service as conceived by Canadian Airlines.

My sympathies to all of you who never got to experience the real concierge service.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: Altitude SE, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
As a first year SE I have to admit my experiences with the concierge so far are pretty underwhelming. I had to make quite a milage run to get to SE even though my AQD was well over the limit as I mainly fly Intra-Canada short haul. Not sure if I am going to be as enthusiastic about doing another one this year due to the overall disappointment with the concierge specifically
eracerblue likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: AC.SE
I've asked for concierge assistance twice this year, both times for very tight domestic-to-international connections (late inbound aircraft, not weather-related). On one occasion, I received a notice by text after landing in YYZ advising that I had been removed from my scheduled international flight and placed on the next day's flight, which would have made my 2-day trip pointless.

Although they were very helpful in the end, I agree that it's unnerving not knowing whether they've received your message, when/if they'll answer it, etc.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: AC*SE, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Another example of concierge fail... Flying YYC -YYZ on Latitude B fare. Using eupgrade. Try to standby for earlier flight (which you can do with Latitude fare) as I can't confirm business as there was no R space. App won't allow me to standy for that flight for some reason (not a listed flight). Try calling Concierge for help. Am told that standby is only for rapidair flights. I explain that I buy latitude so I have flexibility to make changes. You are allowed to standby. Read her the fare rules. Why am I arguing with a concierge who is supposed to be a top tier person helping SEs and IBC customers?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by sjhanlon
Another example of concierge fail... Flying YYC -YYZ on Latitude B fare. Using eupgrade. Try to standby for earlier flight (which you can do with Latitude fare) as I can't confirm business as there was no R space. App won't allow me to standy for that flight for some reason (not a listed flight). Try calling Concierge for help. Am told that standby is only for rapidair flights. I explain that I buy latitude so I have flexibility to make changes. You are allowed to standby. Read her the fare rules. Why am I arguing with a concierge who is supposed to be a top tier person helping SEs and IBC customers?
Just to follow-up on this. When I got to the airport I stopped by the concierge office and talked with one of the ladies. She was fantastic. Apologized for the main line response and got me moved to the earlier flight. Really fantastic service like you normally get at the actual stations.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Just to follow-up on this. When I got to the airport I stopped by the concierge office and talked with one of the ladies. She was fantastic. Apologized for the main line response and got me moved to the earlier flight. Really fantastic service like you normally get at the actual stations.
The concierges in person at YYC are consistently fantastic. They are senior people with the indepth knowledge of AC systems that the position requires. Unlike the contingent of high school kids now called concierges at YYZ.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by KenHamer
For many, many years the concierge service has only been a pale imitation of the original concierge service as conceived by Canadian Airlines.

My sympathies to all of you who never got to experience the real concierge service.
Please do share some stories if you can, there are some FTers like me who wasn't even born during "good old days".
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by songsc
Please do share some stories if you can, there are some FTers like me who wasn't even born during "good old days".
Actually let's try and keep this thread focused on the topic at hand and not off topic memories of an airline that went out of business 17 years ago.

tcook052
Ac forum Mod.
ridefar, CZAMFlyer and songsc like this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Thank you for re-opening the thread.

I continue to believe there is a severe degradation of the service, and so let's use this thread to document that, and not debate the purpose/access of the service itself.
BarrieTravelGuy likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:17 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
I'm pleased with the service they provide. I dont fly much , so only use the service 1 or twice a year

You receive the service While in j international or you are SE. CZam spends 80k per year , not relevant , spend 20k or 150k , no difference , correct?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
What has really disappeared in 2018 is the proactive work that concierge's use to do in 2017, and their lack of accessibility in airports in 2018. Yesterday's downgrade on AC116 due to equipment swap.. no phone call. anticipated delays, missed connections and mechanicals .. no phone calls. Each time I've asked to meet with a concierge in the airport, I've been told they are "too busy"; The only concierge I've met this year is Cindy in BOS, who was a great help. I've resigned myself to email interaction which seems to be the fastest method of communication; and while I don't expect a concierge to be able to do everything, the whole concept of a "concierge" is to provide warm transfers to enhanced services, so If they can't make, or coordinate a SDC, short or missed connect, lost bag, stby, its not really a concierge service, but rather a concierge service turned "Rouge".
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by sram
What has really disappeared in 2018 is the proactive work that concierge's use to do in 2017, and their lack of accessibility in airports in 2018. Yesterday's downgrade on AC116 due to equipment swap.. no phone call. anticipated delays, missed connections and mechanicals .. no phone calls. Each time I've asked to meet with a concierge in the airport, I've been told they are "too busy"; The only concierge I've met this year is Cindy in BOS, who was a great help. I've resigned myself to email interaction which seems to be the fastest method of communication; and while I don't expect a concierge to be able to do everything, the whole concept of a "concierge" is to provide warm transfers to enhanced services, so If they can't make, or coordinate a SDC, short or missed connect, lost bag, stby, its not really a concierge service, but rather a concierge service turned "Rouge".
Couldn't agree more... it feels like (and I'm sure some won't care) that AC want's to please high revenue J pax vs. taking care of SE's specifically. Being based in YYZ I've seen the concierges move from seasoned and savvy long term employees to barely out of high school teenagers who have no experience to really be able to help. When they don't know what a Latitude (or B class fare - if they don't know their own company's marketing terms for fares) then clearly there is a lack of training.

I couldn't help but laugh as I got off my flight from YYZ yesterday. There was a concierge (young girl) waiting at the top of the jetway for a passenger. I walked behind the two of them. She was informing him that they would be taking him in the Air Canada BMW Valet car to his international flight. What made me laugh was that he said "But I'm only 25k - you sure you have the right guy??" LOL. Her response was perfect - "We focus on revenue international business class customers and I'll be taking you to the Signature Suite prior to your flight if you want to go". A while ago it always felt to me that as an SE I was special to the company and they did things to continue to earn my loyalty. I have to wonder - is the reason that I can't ever get a hold of a concierge because they are working on revenue international J customers first...
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by RZR
I'm pleased with the service they provide. I dont fly much , so only use the service 1 or twice a year

You receive the service While in j international or you are SE. CZam spends 80k per year , not relevant , spend 20k or 150k , no difference , correct?
For 2017 I spent $52k CAD (so not a lot compared to others) pretty much only in paid J (well - P fares). Like I said - the service at many stations with long time employees is fantastic. YYZ on the other hand has been horrible in my experience this year. The worst though is the phone support... absolutely brutal. Like others have said - if IT and the app was better I could do a lot of it on my own and wouldn't even need to call. I can honestly say that previous to 2017 if I had a tight connection it never failed that a concierge was there to help. 2017 was about a 50/50 chance. 2018 they've not helped once.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I couldn't help but laugh as I got off my flight from YYZ yesterday. There was a concierge (young girl) waiting at the top of the jetway for a passenger. I walked behind the two of them. She was informing him that they would be taking him in the Air Canada BMW Valet car to his international flight. What made me laugh was that he said "But I'm only 25k - you sure you have the right guy??" LOL. Her response was perfect - "We focus on revenue international business class customers and I'll be taking you to the Signature Suite prior to your flight if you want to go". A while ago it always felt to me that as an SE I was special to the company and they did things to continue to earn my loyalty. I have to wonder - is the reason that I can't ever get a hold of a concierge because they are working on revenue international J customers first...
For 2017 I spent $52k CAD (so not a lot compared to others) pretty much only in paid J (well - P fares). Like I said - the service at many stations with long time employees is fantastic. YYZ on the other hand has been horrible in my experience this year. The worst though is the phone support... absolutely brutal. Like others have said - if IT and the app was better I could do a lot of it on my own and wouldn't even need to call. I can honestly say that previous to 2017 if I had a tight connection it never failed that a concierge was there to help. 2017 was about a 50/50 chance. 2018 they've not helped once.
So here's a thought.

They want to greatly add to the international J program, as evidenced by the SS and the limo transfers. To do this, they need to hire a lot more people.

More than 12 months ago in YVR, in person, a concierge wanted to call Aeroplan to do a SDC, because "it's an Aeroplan ticket". A more senior concierge luckily stopped by, and dealt with the issue.

Let's say they had 100 concierges, network-wide. Then they hired 100 more. Would that explain most of these issues? And if so, would time (i.e. training and experience) correct it?

I don't think they SHOULD be putting fresh hires in concierge roles, simply because no SE or paid J wants to spend 25 minutes trying to SDC with someone who doesn't know how it works. But would that be a plausible explanation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.