Wiki Posts
Search

Self-upgrading Okay for Kids?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
They may well do, but the original post contained the question about one child. If we want to discuss some of the confusing derivatives on offer from other members, perhaps that should occur in a separate thread. But it's a bit strange to disagree with my opinion about one 6 year old boy by advocating against spouses, grandma and emotional support hedgehogs.
As the OP, let me clarify that I did not intend to limit the scope of the discussion to this particular example.

I agree with the slippery slope argument others have put forth, like:

Originally Posted by 24left
No, the example in the OP was one child.

This discussion understands that example but also extends the self-upgrading behaviour to those who may consider doing so in the future and for me, that is a key issue. I also think Air Canada does not have a clearly defined enforcement policy because based on posts on this forum, some cabin crew do not seem to want to enforce the rules or seem intimidated by pax who do what they want and thus the cabin crew choose to avoid confrontation.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by flybit
let the kid sit in business class, stop being so mean!

Its not mean. As said, using something you didn't pay for is stealing. Why would it NOT be okay for a spouse or parent to self upgrade, but because it is a child it is okay. Sorry, self upgrading is self upgrading. It either becomes a free for all ( who can first grab the empty seat(s) --or no one self upgrades!
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: none
How to stop this pointless back-and-forth banter:

Just ask the Service Director, "Hi, name is ___ and I'm important because (insert justification here). Is it OK that my son/daughter comes up here and takes a vacant seat?"

If SD says Yes, you're OK. No one gets hurt.

If SD says No, no one dies.

The beauty of this approach is that as long as you can show how it's in their best interest to grant you request, you can ask for any favor you want.

Last edited by Allan38103; Mar 8, 2018 at 6:50 pm
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by capedreamer
As the OP, let me clarify that I did not intend to limit the scope of the discussion to this particular example.
Oh. The title of the thread confused me.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:36 pm

One wonders what possible effect a well-behaved child would have on the inner sanctum of AC's opulent J. I understand the opposition to an adult companion moving forward, but to a 6yr old child?

There's rules, and there should also be latitude for discretionary judgements.
One wonders why you think theft of services is okay. Premium cabins are a service provided by the airline. They can choose how it's provided to their customers. If Mr Mom wanted his child in premium cabin he should pay for the luxury.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
There is a distinction between wanting to sit in a more comfortable cabin versus wanting to sit beside Dad and/or following Dad's instructions.
I'm not sure I understand this point. I don't think anyone is faulting a 6 year old for following Dad's instructions. The fault is with Dad for giving those instructions.

How did hypothetical future flights enter the debate? Neither I nor the OP introduced the concept.
Because future flights are very relevant here. Behavior on one flight sets a precedent (at least in people's minds) for subsequent flights, that's the whole point.

If Dad knows that there's a good chance he'll be able to bring the child up to J for free, then there's no incentive for him to ever pay for J for the child. To contrast - if he knows that there is no chance he'll be able to initiate that cabin move (AC may decide to move people to a new cabin for a variety of reasons, but it's not under Dad's control) then now there is an incentive for him to pay for J for the child.
capedreamer and canadiancow like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ffsim
I'm not talking about rules, and I'm not talking about the expectation of an upgrade -- everyone should pay to sit in the seat they want to sit in, regardless of which cabin that seat happens to be in. Heck, I'm not even talking about the kid who went to sit up front with his dad. I think you missed the point of my post.
I agree, I don't understand your point. I'm still confused.

Originally Posted by ffsim
All I'm saying is that the use of an empty seat hardly constitutes "stealing." Stealing involves taking something of value from somebody, and as AC has absolutely no method of monetizing that empty seat, you're not damaging them in a dollars and cents kind of way. That's all.
You've already agreed that it's wrong for a passenger to sit in a seat they haven't paid for ... so is the only question, "what should we call it when they do that bad thing"?

You seem to be focusing on the definition of stealing, and relying on the fact that (in your words) it's only stealing if you "taking something from somebody" - but the dictionary definition is "take without permission or legal right", and that does fit the case here.

I agree that "stealing" is a harsh word, but that's what it is.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Let’s just say for a moment that the SD had said sure fine... Then the adult is going to keep trying it again and again, how can AC sell seats if they’re being given away?

I mean by this point it was empty, but I think my point is obvious.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canopus27
....I agree that "stealing" is a harsh word, but that's what it is.
It is and I used it upthread because that is how I see what the dad did when he put his child in the empty seat.
Apologies to everyone who thinks the word stealing was too harsh, but then that is exactly how I see what the dad did.

My issue is really with what appears to be the lack of clear rules between AC and the crews, or perhaps, the rules are there but the cabin crew prefer not to have any unpleasant or aggressive encounters with pax and thus do the avoidance thing.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I agree that "stealing" is a harsh word, but that's what it is.

No, it’s simply called “sitting in the wrong seat.”
CZAMFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
I'm not sure I understand this point. I don't think anyone is faulting a 6 year old for following Dad's instructions. The fault is with Dad for giving those instructions.
I was replying to 24left's comments about moving the child up being considered theft, no matter if the person is 2 or 92 years old.

Because future flights are very relevant here. Behavior on one flight sets a precedent (at least in people's minds) for subsequent flights, that's the whole point.

If Dad knows that there's a good chance he'll be able to bring the child up to J for free, then there's no incentive for him to ever pay for J for the child. To contrast - if he knows that there is no chance he'll be able to initiate that cabin move (AC may decide to move people to a new cabin for a variety of reasons, but it's not under Dad's control) then now there is an incentive for him to pay for J for the child.
I doubt it. Dad likely saw there was a number of empty seats and brought the kid up. By the time that happened mid-flight, the loss of revenue to the airline was exactly nil. And we've also established that ancillary meal costs were not incurred. What exactly was 'stolen' here: space?

We have no idea if the child was flying with a third person in economy, nor what Dad's motivation was in flying in separate cabins. Was the son tagging along on a business trip? Was it a personal family trip? Did somebody else (an employer/client) pay the J fare? To pontificate about precedent and what might happen in future is a bit of a stretch to say the least.

I'm convinced peoples' negative opinions have more to do with their perceived loss of exclusivity rather than an abundance of concern about Air Canada's revenue.

Originally Posted by jc94
Let’s just say for a moment that the SD had said sure fine... Then the adult is going to keep trying it again and again, how can AC sell seats if they’re being given away?

I mean by this point it was empty, but I think my point is obvious.
How can any airline sell seats on an airplane that is airborne?

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Mar 8, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I was replying to 24left's comments about moving the child up being considered theft, no matter if the person is 2 or 92 years old.

I doubt it. Dad likely saw there was a number of empty seats and brought the kid up. By the time that happened mid-flight, the loss of revenue to the airline was exactly nil. And we've also established that ancillary meal costs were not incurred. What exactly was 'stolen' here: space?

We have no idea if the child was flying with a third person in economy, nor what Dad's motivation was in flying in separate cabins. Was the son tagging along on a business trip? Was it a personal family trip? Did somebody else (an employer/client) pay the J fare? To pontificate about precedent and what might happen in future is a bit of a stretch to say the least.

I'm convinced peoples' negative opinions have more to do with their perceived loss of exclusivity rather than an abundance of concern about Air Canada's revenue.

=Some airlines permit permit customers to PAY to upgrade themselves (with a credit card) either after boarding or after the seat belts sign has been turned off.

If the father's employer was paying for his J ticket, the father still could have purchased a J ticket for the boy. Problem solved. It doesn't matter whether it was a business trip or personal travel.Dad can buy the kid a ticket for the seat he wants his son to occupy.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
....How can any airline sell seats on an airplane that is airborne?
I explained it upthread - same device that crew use to purchase BoB. Someone else posted examples of one or more U.S. airlines who do that or have done that.

And exclusivity is one of the things Air Canada is trying to sell in the premium cabins.
capedreamer and jc94 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
In another thread on the same topic, I had suggested that AC cabin crew use those hand-held devices meant for BoB purchases and tell the self-upgrading pax that they will be happy to accept payment on the spot for their upgraded seat.
On my last WS flight, the FA did exactly that on two self-upgrading passengers to the PLUS seats. Surprisingly, they pulled out their credit cards and complied. WS has a fixed price for this type of upgrade, so it's easier to manage. I think that they were treated as airport buy-up.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: IHG Gold

The fact the seat is empty and unsold is a straw man argument. Perhaps I will buy an economy seat on LH and then saunter up to the first class cabin and tell them since the several seats are empty, surely they won't mind if I sit in one and enjoy the flight. Don't worry ..I won't ask for food or drink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.