Search

Self-upgrading Okay for Kids?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Self-upgrading Okay for Kids?

Onboard AC757 YYZ-SFO right now.

There are a few unoccupied seats in J today. I moved from 2C to 2D.

After lunch service, 2A went to the back and brought his (I presume) son (ca. 5-6 years old) up to the front. The son has been here for ~10 minutes now and the SD has definitely seen him. A bit surprised she seems to be condoning this as she was quite strict about enforcing J lavatory usage by Y passengers earlier.

I imagine cow (and others) would not be pleased.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Update: SD came by, spoke to 2A (who acted a bit surprised that this would not be okay), and the son is now gone.

Well done.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: AC*75K
*applause*

I'm sure it was hard for the SD but I like it when the rules are enforced
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
One wonders what possible effect a well-behaved child would have on the inner sanctum of AC's opulent J. I understand the opposition to an adult companion moving forward, but to a 6yr old child?

There's rules, and there should also be latitude for discretionary judgements.
JBauer and MasterGeek like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
One wonders what possible effect a well-behaved child would have on the inner sanctum of AC's opulent J. I understand the opposition to an adult companion moving forward, but to a 6yr old child?

If the father had wanted the son to sit in FC/business class, he should have purchased a FC/business class ticket for the kid.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Back of the bus

And then there's "why in the hell does this kid deserve special treatment compared to any other kids?"

Pops in J if he was an SE can nominate him and burn his E-ups. Or Pay for an upgrade. Or buy the kid paid J.

If he's too cheap to do so, his own issue. Kick him to the back like the rest of the self upgrading pleebs.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: *G
Travelling once in Premium Rouge, it was half full and woman across the aisle from the empty seat next to me wanted her preteen son to be able to come up to one of the empty J seats. SD acquiesced but made it clear that there would be no meal and no, he could not sit next to me. The SD knew I knew this was theoretically not allowed, but at the time I gave him credit for keeping a couple of slightly inebriated passengers under control while making sure I was not inconvenienced.
unclepants and MasterGeek like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

How do you know the child was well-behaved?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Why?
Because self-upgrading is stealing.
It matters not if the person doing it is 2 or 92. if they did not pay for the seat in the premium cabins, they don't get to sit there for free.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
let the kid sit in business class, stop being so mean!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flybit
let the kid sit in business class, stop being so mean!
I presume your message is directed to the parents, and implies that you believe the parents should buy the poor kid a business class ticket rather than teaching her to steal.

If so, then I whole-heartedly agree.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
How do you know the child was well-behaved?
I wrote "a" well-behaved child, not "the" well behaved child.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Why?
Because self-upgrading is stealing.
It matters not if the person doing it is 2 or 92. if they did not pay for the seat in the premium cabins, they don't get to sit there for free.
No. A 6 year old boy sitting next to his father at his father's request is not stealing anything.

Most FlyerTalkers operate under Black vs White. Life is not like that.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the father had wanted the son to sit in FC/business class, he should have purchased a FC/business class ticket for the kid.
The father likely didn't want his kid to have a business class ticket; he likely wanted his son to sit beside him. He (presumably deliberately) waited until after the meal service, so this kid is not receiving any "special treatment" except being able to sit beside Dad, which many of you are quite keen to advocate against, because, well, harrumph, why the heck should he?!?!?

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry wrote "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things". Evidently, few here fly for the same reason.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Mar 8, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. A 6 year old boy sitting next to his father at his father's request is not stealing anything.

Most FlyerTalkers operate under Black vs White. Life is not like that.
But this isn't life. This is social media. Nuance takes too long.
Bohemian1 and CZAMFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.