Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Self-upgrading Okay for Kids?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
This reminds me when I was sat next to a kid (teen vs aged 6) who spent the entire flight going back and forth to J.

I was the aisle in Y. And so had to keep getting out of my seat to let this kid to visit presumably her parent(s) in J. And it was damned inconvenient.

Stay in the cabin you paid for, exit your seat as infrequently as possible (not every 15 minutes), and unrecline your seat during meal service.

Disclaimer, I have nothing against J making a single trip back to Y to visit a friend/family whatever. This is because not only have I done it (once), it doesn’t tend to disturb anyone in J more than that person using the washroom and Y isn’t exactly as conductive to peace quiet and sleep.

If we’re fine with kids going into J where do we draw the line? One child, 3, 10, 28? Should all those aged 0-6 be permitted and those aged 7+ banned? Is a parental guardianship required or can it be grandkids and cousins?
24left likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by jc94
If we’re fine with kids going into J where do we draw the line? One child, 3, 10, 28? Should all those aged 0-6 be permitted and those aged 7+ banned? Is a parental guardianship required or can it be grandkids and cousins?
See: slippery slope, thin edge of the wedge, creeping normality, boiling frog & gateway drug theories, snowball effect, death by a thousand cuts, foot in the door, camel's nose in the tent, First They Came etc etc ad infinitum. I'm sure there exist many other metaphors.

I thought we'd been through these. Are people who advance these arguments trying to convince themselves that A inevitably leads to B?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Ok. I give up too. One last reply from me.

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
See: slippery slope, thin edge of the wedge, creeping normality, boiling frog & gateway drug theories, snowball effect, death by a thousand cuts, foot in the door, camel's nose in the tent, First They Came etc etc ad infinitum. I'm sure there exist many other metaphors.

I thought we'd been through these. Are people who advance these arguments trying to convince themselves that A inevitably leads to B?
Yes.

I am.

I honestly believe that a father who is prepared to travel in J, while his 6 year old child and an accompanying adult sit in Y, and who is successfully able to bring his child up to J for free, will inevitably lead to that father concluding that he doesn't need to pay for J for his child on the next flight, either.

I also believe that a father who is unsuccessful at bringing his child up to J for free, will at least *consider* paying for J for his child on the next flight.

That's what I believe. I also don't think we're ever going to agree on this issue.

That said, I will admit to being curious.
  • Do you honestly believe that the scenarios I describe above will never happen, and that there is *zero* chance that AC will ever induce any incremental revenue in the future, by their consistent adherence to a no-self-upgrading policy? (BTW I meant zero. Keep in mind that even a tiny chance, multiplied across the entire AC fleet, will result in a significant revenue opportunity for AC)
  • Alternatively, do you acknowledge that AC could drive extra revenue this way, but they should forgo that revenue in the interest of (reason)?
I'm honestly curious.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Of course I think it's possible. What I don't understand is why it matters to you or any other passenger.

As for the revenue, therein lies the argument for discretion. Few decent people favour corporations that consider maximum possible income as the end-all, be-all.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Of course I think it's possible. What I don't understand is why it matters to you or any other passenger.
It seems to matter to many here. It seems to matter to Air Canada since they charge different fares for different cabins and expect people who sit in the Premium cabins to be paying for them.

1. Air Canada's website tells us that seats in J cost more.
2. Anyone who wants to sit in those J seats can buy them if they choose to. Or they can sit in Y
3. They can pay for these J seats with cash, eUpgrade credits (and copays), a LMU or a Bid Upgrade.
4. They do not get to sit in J because they felt like moving up from Y

Some in this thread seem to be focusing on the child and oh my, what harm could their be to the fragile J pax if the child is brought to sit in J by his father.

The father did not pay for that seat and while some of you are focusing your emotions on the child, others here are focusing on the fact that the seat that child occupied was not paid for by his father.

So, we can call this argument a draw but no way should Air Canada or its cabin crew allow people to just wander up and sit where they want, thus taking what they did not pay for.

Perhaps the fine folks at AC HQ are reading this thread and wondering how frequent this activity is and whether their employees need to follow more "defined" procedures for when pax behave this way.

We are never going to agree on why it matters, but it clearly does. IMHO.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: AC.SE
I’m with those who think the kid should stay in the cabin he was ticketed in. Would it have affected me? I don’t know—I don’t know the kid and I wasn’t there. Maybe he would have been an extra person making me wait for the lav.

But it I also don’t think the need to have someone ticketed in Y sitting next to you in J for free is one the cabin crew should indulge either. I was on CDG—YYZ recently, and there were a lot of empty J seats. The guy in front of me asked if his wife (in Y) could take one of the empty seats after the meal service, and he was told no. I’m guessing it’s not an AC policy to open the J cabin up for complimentary upgrades after the meal service, so I think the decision was a good one.

If people can’t stand to be separated from their child/SO/whomever, they should buy the right ticket or follow established upgrade procedures. And make sure they select seats together, where applicable.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:51 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

We've been through them and you've summarily dismissed them without a single argument against them. I don't know whether it's ignorance or naiveté, but people watch and they learn. It's possible that on this one flight, no one would notice and no one would replicate the behaviour. But when people notice that rule-breaking goes unpunished, it tends to lead to more rule-breaking. On flights where SDs don't police the J lav, for instance, it frequently becomes a cavalcade after more and more people see it happening.

Your mentality seems to embrace a Homer Simpson-esque disregard for the collateral damage that seemingly innocent actions can have.

Obviously one kid sitting in J on one flight doesn't mean that the next day every empty J seat is going to be filled with a self-upgrader, but the reason a policy needs to be in place is that, without one, over time, that would ultimately be the outcome.

Oh darn, I know, I know I said I'd written my last word on this topic.
So you keep telling us
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:44 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
It makes a difference to me because I strongly dislike children and their disruptiveness so I pay for J since there is a smaller likelihood of having kids in there. There. I said it and fully expect to be labeled heartless and evil. It's more today's parents fault than the kids themselves to be fair.

Not everyone wants or likes kids, some of you should stop pushing your milquetoast worldview on everyone else.

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Mar 11, 2018 at 8:49 am
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Not sure what the issue is here. Self upgrading adults are just fine, as are self-loading Y pax carry-ons in J bins.

​​​​​

What about another J pax upgrading the kid in to a J bin? Or what if all the J pax voted and a quorum agreed to upgrade the kid? Could we build this survey system in to the IFE?

I love using the word victimless sarcastically.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:43 pm
Suspended

I am revolted by children in general. Too many self entitled parents act as if there should be no issue with having to put up with them in grown up restaurants, bars, and movies.

Personally, I think they should be banned from any class above Y altogether. Put them in the back of coach where the smokers used to go. And put their parents back there with them.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I am revolted by children in general. Too many self entitled parents act as if there should be no issue with having to put up with them in grown up restaurants, bars, and movies.

Personally, I think they should be banned from any class above Y altogether. Put them in the back of coach where the smokers used to go. And put their parents back there with them.
name checks out... you know, my kids say elitists should only get to fly y seats, in the middle, by the lav. I guess everyone is an a-hole in their own small way.
ffsim likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I currently have an empty seat in J beside me.

Do I deserve it? No. But I'll have a better experience with it than without it. And I'm paying for J.

Why encourage theft when you can, instead, give the whole cabin a better experience, by reducing the number of people in it?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
I think its pretty simple. Don't let it happen regardless of age. Why? Well that seat could have gone to someone that was waiting for an upgrade. Perfect example was 2 days ago SFO-YVR. I had a confirmed upgrade on a lat fare and my colleague who waited too long and was waitlisted. At the gate he was told J Class was full. Before the door was closed and boarding seemed complete, my friend went and asked the SD about the 2 empty J Class seats. SD said that sorry but it's too late to do an upgrade and they were going to close the doors soon. My friend and another passenger also waiting for their upgrade were not impressed. I don't know about the other passenger but my friend is a 2 MM and flies over 200K/year with AC. The doors eventually closed and we left with 2 empty J Seats. First, I don't know how this could happen and they couldn't check the upgrade list. Second, if I saw someone self upgrade themselves to either of these seats regardless of age, I'd be incredibly pissed. I've seen when seats have opened up[ because of no shows right before departure and they've actually went to the back to bring waitlisted upgrades up to the front but never this.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Flying in J lowers the odds of sitting next to a plane full of people who act like they belong on a greyhound bus. Also, J zeros out the chance of flying next to a fake emotiomal support animal.

The seat is not always much bigger, pitch between seats is still small. Especially on narrow body flights. Most of the time I could
pick a bulkhead/priority seat for free, often an exit seat with no seat in front of me. However, I sit in J to be around less people.

If I am in J, stay in your Y cabin please.

If I am in Y, I won't sneak up to J. But I have to do my best to pretend that the J cabin does not exist.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
It makes a difference to me because I strongly dislike children and their disruptiveness so I pay for J since there is a smaller likelihood of having kids in there.
And I have personally experienced far, far more disruptive adults on flights than children. As recently as Friday, as a matter of fact, where the SD threatened to deplane a passenger — over the PA system for all to witness, no less — because he refused to end his call during the safety demonstration.

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
It's more today's parents fault than the kids themselves to be fair.
Fully agree with this.

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
name checks out...
+1 ^
quantumofforce likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.