Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Self-upgrading Okay for Kids?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:54 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Neat arguments between the members.

I don't care who wins ... but if AC had allowed the kid to remain, then I for one would avoid flying AC .. we have choices that top any soft feelie type arguments
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Originally Posted by mikeyyz
Yup, I pay for J for our little one to sit with us all the time and would not be impressed if this was let slide...
Yep, flying next month in J with my 7 year young daughter, it's or both of us in Y or both of us in J, since I loathe Y I paid for 2 in J.
I always fly Y short haul with her (not worth the expense for J), curious for a long haul in J with her, I haven't told her yet, she has no clue how different it will be anyway.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Nothing gets this forum more upset than self-upgrading pax.
Did you miss the thread where the toddler who tried to use the sacred J lavatory got roasted??
RatherBeInYOW and StuckInYYZ like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mapleg
The fact the seat is empty and unsold is a straw man argument. Perhaps I will buy an economy seat on LH and then saunter up to the first class cabin and tell them since the several seats are empty, surely they won't mind if I sit in one and enjoy the flight. Don't worry ..I won't ask for food or drink.
Are you well behaved?
capedreamer likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
[QUOTE] I'm more disturbed about the lesson that it is teaching the child. Not only did the father abandon him (and presumably whoever else was flying with him) in order to enjoy the comforts of J, but then he teaches the kid that it's ok to move up front if there are any empty seats. For those of you who use the "he's only a kid" argument, just remember that he won't be a kid forever. He will be an entitled teen in a few years and an entited adult a few years after that. [QUOTE]

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
As an aside, the bolded piece above is a fantastic example of twisting or inventing facts to fit a desired narrative.
How is this twisting or inventing the facts? Seriously, that is exactly what happened. The father chose to fly in the comfort of J and made the kid slum it in Y.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I really, really don't like AC Rouge and I'm also amazed at all of the hostility back and forth.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA, AC
How can any airline sell seats on an airplane that is airborne?
People Express Airlines collected all fares onboard during the early part of the flight. They didn't offer an option to buy a ticket on the ground.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
=Some airlines permit permit customers to PAY to upgrade themselves (with a credit card) either after boarding or after the seat belts sign has been turned off.
Originally Posted by 24 left
I explained it upthread - same device that crew use to purchase BoB. Someone else posted examples of one or more U.S. airlines who do that or have done that.
Originally Posted by After Burner
People Express Airlines collected all fares onboard during the early part of the flight.
All of these transactions are completed before the airplane leaves the ground, are they not? Which was - again - not the case in the example we're discussing.

Perhaps I will buy an economy seat on LH and then saunter up to the first class cabin and tell them since the several seats are empty, surely they won't mind if I sit in one and enjoy the flight.
If you can pass convincingly as a 6 year old boy whose father in First has asked you to join him, then we can debate this tactic. If you are an adult, your example does not effectively address my argument. I had thought I had made the child/adult distinction abundantly clear, but it appears I have not.

Originally Posted by Jeannietx
I'm also amazed at all of the hostility back and forth.
No kidding. I have dared to pose a question contrary to the collective ethos, and challenge the responses. The reaction has been swift and harsh, if not actually pertinent. Some will argue an unconnected point, and when advised that point wasn't being advanced, will argue it more stridently. I'm retiring for the evening to strains of Samuel L Jackson's Ezekiel 25:17 tirade - with great vengeance being rained down upon this poor shepherd by the compassionate members of the Aeroplan forum.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
All of these transactions are completed before the airplane leaves the ground, are they not? Which was - again - not the case in the example we're discussing.
NOPE. "After the seat belt sign has been turned off" occurs after the plane has reached cruising altitude or at least passed 10,000 feet, so this would be well after the airplane leaves the ground.

Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
All of these transactions are completed before the airplane leaves the ground, are they not? Which was - again - not the case in the example we're discussing......

If someone wants to sit in Business or Premium Economy and they did not pay for it prior to boarding, and their BP shows they are seated in Y, there are airlines who will accept payment onboard and it can be done in-flgiht as with BoB.

In the end, there are at least 3 different views here (possibly more if one were to bring in a professional analyst ) and clearly, a few of us feel the discussion is worth going beyond the OP by @capedreamer

At the very least, this thread has been a well-mannered and most enlightening discussion.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: none
The fact the seat is empty and unsold is a straw man argument. Perhaps I will buy an economy seat on LH and then saunter up to the first class cabin and tell them since the several seats are empty, surely they won't mind if I sit in one and enjoy the flight. Don't worry ..I won't ask for food or drink.
If you ask them to let you move, and they say "Yes." you're home free
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
I believe @CZAMFlyer is advocating for a compassionate response for a father and his son. There's nothing wrong with this. In the issue of keeping parents and their children together I think we all agree, they should be allowed to sit together.

In this scenario the solution would be simple: book your tickets in the same class of service and there is no issue. No one forced the father to sit in J. The problem is that the father found himself worthy of better treatment than his son, then wanted the privilege of his son joining him in J. I'm with the vote saying if they want to sit together, either buy two J tickets or go and join the son in Y.

If the airline wants to make an exception it is up to them, but I wouldn't find them under any ethical obligation to allow the child to sit in J.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:31 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
One wonders what possible effect a well-behaved child would have on the inner sanctum of AC's opulent J. I understand the opposition to an adult companion moving forward, but to a 6yr old child?

There's rules, and there should also be latitude for discretionary judgements.
Why are you opposed to an adult consuming a service that they did not a pay for, but not a child?

No. A 6 year old boy sitting next to his father at his father's request is not stealing anything.
I was replying to 24left's comments about moving the child up being considered theft, no matter if the person is 2 or 92 years old.

I doubt it. Dad likely saw there was a number of empty seats and brought the kid up. By the time that happened mid-flight, the loss of revenue to the airline was exactly nil. And we've also established that ancillary meal costs were not incurred. What exactly was 'stolen' here: space?
How is it not stealing?

If I break in to a rental car lot after the agency has closed for the night, take a car and drive it for a few hours, then return it (with tank refilled) before they open the next day, I didn't deprive the rental company of any revenue, because they were already closed for the day.

If I sneak in to a sold out concert without paying for a ticket, I didn't deprive the concert promoter of any revenue because they already sold as many tickets as they could sell.

I go to the theatre and walk in to a movie just after it has started and there's no ticket-taker, plunk myself down in an empty seat and stay for the movie. They won't sell any more tickets for the movie, so I haven't deprived them of any revenue.

How about I buy cheap seats to the upper bowl of a hockey game then move down halfway through the 1st period to the premium seats just behind the bench? The tickets weren't sold, or the ticketholders didn't show up, so I didn't cost the team anything.

In each case, the revenue loss to the service provider was "exactly nil". But in each case, I have taken something that did not belong to me. Something that everyone else has paid for.

No one here is arguing that the kid or the father should be locked away for life for it, but it's a pretty clear theft of services. (That's probably a more appropriate term linguistically given that "steal" often has a connotation more related to physical goods, e.g. "Take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it" from the Oxford Dictionary, but "stealing" is certainly correct in spirit).

The father likely didn't want his kid to have a business class ticket; he likely wanted his son to sit beside him. He (presumably deliberately) waited until after the meal service, so this kid is not receiving any "special treatment" except being able to sit beside Dad, which many of you are quite keen to advocate against, because, well, harrumph, why the heck should he?!?!?
If he wanted to sit beside his son, he could have gone back to Y. Surely someone in Y would have happily taken the father's seat in J if Y had been full. The kid (or rather his parents) did not pay for him to sit in J, yet he would be sitting in J. Unlike every other person who sat where they had paid to sit (in one currency or another) or were upgraded at the discretion of the airline (if there were any op-ups).

That's a pretty textbook case of special treatment.

It's rooted in compassion, which I admit, isn't defined within the T&C of most airline travel agreements.
How terrible it must be for the poor boy to sit in Y for you to feel compassion!
  • compassion, per Oxford Dictionary: Sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others
  • compassion, per Merriam-Webster: sympathetic consciousness of others' distress together with a desire to alleviate it
  • compassion, per Cambridge Dictionary: a strong feeling of sympathy and sadness for the suffering or bad luck of others and a wish to help them

Sufferings, misfortunes, distress, bad luck! My oh my, how awful is Y?!?

You know, I really would like to be able to drive a Ferrari. Would you mind using your compassion to help me get the Ferrari dealer to drive one around on Sundays? They're closed anyway, so it's not like they'll be doing anything else with the car.

I was hoping people didn't introduce the "slippery slope" or "thin edge of the wedge" argument, because we aren't discussing bringing adults - or indeed animals - into the front cabin. Let's keep this within the scope of the debate.
Okay, so, the scope of the debate is that this six-year-old child who you assumed to be well-behaved (I thought assumptions we unhelpful?) wanted to sit with his father in business class (or vice versa) and you're happy to debate this but:
  • anyone who argues that taking something without paying for it is theft is out of scope because you disagree
  • anyone who refers to a child of a different age is out of scope because we're only referring to a six-year-old child
  • anyone who refers to a child that's poorly behaved is out of scope because you have assumed this child to be well behaved

So what exactly is within the scope of the debate? Which one of the father and son should have gotten the window?

So, can anybody advance an argument based upon the event in question, rather than on hypothetical events in the future?
It has been argued by many here that the event in question was a theft of services - the father attempted to have his son consume a service (a business class seat) that he had not paid for. Taking things that one have not paid for is commonly considered to be theft and is not widely condoned in our society.

I wonder why the strong stance, given that nothing was taken from any other passenger; nobody else was affected. Why are some people are such strong defenders of the airline's (now diminished) asset?
Should we condone liquor store robberies because we weren't affected? Is someone embezzling money from a company okay if it's not the company we work for?

A reminder: I'm not advocating adults self-upgrade.
So what? If anything, teaching a child to get things without paying for them is worse.

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Seriously. As long as the kid wasn't being disruptive, why else would anyone care?

Reminds me when a certain pompous Air Canada rep posted on this forum that eUps "cheapened" the J cabin. Like a place with a seat and food that on the ground would amount to dinner at a two-star hotel could really be further cheapened.
You and CZAMFlyer seem to think that things happen in a vacuum, but life is not that simple. While BenL's infamous cheapening comment may have lacked tact, he was saying something that had been said for a while by other airlines. DL, in particular, has been vocal for years about the fact that much of its front cabins have been filled with people who got there through complimentary upgrades (i.e. paid no premium for their premium experience). In any one case, letting a customer sit up front without paying for it (either through comp up or, as in this case, just taking the seat) teaches customers that it can be done without paying for it and they adjust their behaviour accordingly.

While CZAM used the term "slippery slope" in a pejorative sense to imply that this assumption was fallacious, but the airline industry has real life experiences that bear it out and has been pushing customers to move away from this model.

No kidding. I have dared to pose a question contrary to the collective ethos, and challenge the responses. The reaction has been swift and harsh, if not actually pertinent. Some will argue an unconnected point, and when advised that point wasn't being advanced, will argue it more stridently. I'm retiring for the evening to strains of Samuel L Jackson's Ezekiel 25:17 tirade - with great vengeance being rained down upon this poor shepherd by the compassionate members of the Aeroplan forum.
Your boundless self-righteousness is truly extraordinary. Others have, in fact, made logical, coherent arguments as to why this should not be permitted and you have dismissed them out of hand as irrelevant.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:00 am

We have no idea if the child was flying with a third person in economy.
AC won't let a six year old sit alone.

How can any airline sell seats on an airplane that is airborne?
​​​​
Well, if the FA had those little BoB credit card readers set up, it could be quite trivial. Scoot does it, almost considered last weekend, but then I'd have left my 2 year old in a seat by herself, lol.

Originally Posted by 24left
In another thread on the same topic, I had suggested that AC cabin crew use those hand-held devices meant for BoB purchases and tell the self-upgrading pax that they will be happy to accept payment on the spot for their upgraded seat.
​​​​​​​
You should run a discount airline.

​​​​​​​I'd the father asked before, and the door SD said yes, then I would be OK with it. Heck, the not asking probably upsets the SD for his authority is being circumvented.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Even if just limited to children if one parent does it all the rest may too and you end up with J looking like a day care. No thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.