Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Self-upgrading Okay for Kids?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Yup, I pay for J for our little one to sit with us all the time and would not be impressed if this was let slide...
capedreamer likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
The father likely didn't want his kid to have a business class ticket; he likely wanted his son to sit beside him. He (presumably deliberately) waited until after the meal service, so this kid is not receiving any "special treatment" except being able to sit beside Dad, which many of you are quite keen to advocate against, because, well, harrumph, why the heck should he?!?!?
I presume the child was being accompanied (by the mother?) back in economy.

If Dad wanted to sit beside his child, there's a very simple answer; put Mom in the business class seat, and Dad gets to sit beside the child in Y. Simple, and completely within the rules.

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I assume the child was seated with another adult in the Y cabin.
Assumptions are unhelpful.

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
The father could have swapped with the other adult if he really wanted to be with his son.
By following this suggestion, all we've accomplished is changing the title of this thread.

Originally Posted by mikeyyz
Yup, I pay for J for our little one to sit with us all the time and would not be impressed if this was let slide...
I suspect this underlies the real reason for peoples' opposition: the fact that others are receiving a perceived benefit, despite the net effect on themselves being nil.

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by canopus27
This is why AC chose to stop giving out complementary upgrades just because there was space available in J. To coin a phrase, doing so would cheapen the value of those business seats.
I agree with this.

If you know there's a reasonable chance that AC will comp your kid up into business class, then there's very little motivation for you to pay for a business class seat for her. By enforcing the rules, AC is also providing very clear motivation to parents who want their children to sit in business class - they must pay for business class.
I'm not talking about rules, and I'm not talking about the expectation of an upgrade -- everyone should pay to sit in the seat they want to sit in, regardless of which cabin that seat happens to be in. Heck, I'm not even talking about the kid who went to sit up front with his dad. I think you missed the point of my post.

All I'm saying is that the use of an empty seat hardly constitutes "stealing." Stealing involves taking something of value from somebody, and as AC has absolutely no method of monetizing that empty seat, you're not damaging them in a dollars and cents kind of way. That's all.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:58 pm

That's a false equivalency.

I could choose to give my money (or property or services) to anyone. The fact that I might do so one time, does not give them permission to take it from me without my permission in the future.
You raise a fair point, but I wasn't suggesting I'd feel entitled to sit up front on a future flight. My point was that I paid nothing extra to sit up front, in reply to the statement that some form of currency must be exchanged for the privilege.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
They may well do, but the original post contained the question about one child. If we want to discuss some of the confusing derivatives on offer from other members, perhaps that should occur in a separate thread. But it's a bit strange to disagree with my opinion about one 6 year old boy by advocating against spouses, grandma and emotional support hedgehogs.

No, the example in the OP was one child.

This discussion understands that example but also extends the self-upgrading behaviour to those who may consider doing so in the future and for me, that is a key issue. I also think Air Canada does not have a clearly defined enforcement policy because based on posts on this forum, some cabin crew do not seem to want to enforce the rules or seem intimidated by pax who do what they want and thus the cabin crew choose to avoid confrontation.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:01 pm

One wonders what possible effect a well-behaved child would have on the inner sanctum of AC's opulent J. I understand the opposition to an adult companion moving forward, but to a 6yr old child?

There's rules, and there should also be latitude for discretionary judgements.
OK.. I'll play. A 6 year old is fine.... How about a 17 year old (Still a "child" legally) No? OK...... Where is the line then? Kind of important to have one if 6 is OK and 17 isn't. So? A small 14 year old vs a big 10 year old?
The problem with "discretion" is that it leads to the "but they were allowed to bring their kid forward/ but he/she was allowed to do XXX" Inconsistency...which is one of the MAJOR complaints on FT..... and rightly so.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I'm more disturbed about the lesson that it is teaching the child. Not only did the father abandon him (and presumably whoever else was flying with him) in order to enjoy the comforts of J, but then he teaches the kid that it's ok to move up front if there are any empty seats. For those of you who use the "he's only a kid" argument, just remember that he won't be a kid forever. He will be an entitled teen in a few years and an entitled adult a few years after that.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
This discussion understands that example but also extends the self-upgrading behaviour to those who may consider doing so in the future and for me, that is a key issue
There is a distinction between wanting to sit in a more comfortable cabin versus wanting to sit beside Dad and/or following Dad's instructions.
How did hypothetical future flights enter the debate? Neither I nor the OP introduced the concept.

I also think Air Canada does not have a clearly defined enforcement policy because based on posts on this forum, some cabin crew do not seem to want to enforce the rules or seem intimidated by pax who do what they want and thus the cabin crew choose to avoid confrontation.
Does anybody here know AC's enforcement policy on cabin upgrades? Note, this is separate from the policy disallowing said upgrades. It seems to me there's a lot of assumptions being made on what cabin crew want to do, how they may feel, and how they choose to address those feelings.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Low Roller
I'm more disturbed about the lesson that it is teaching the child. Not only did the father abandon him (and presumably whoever else was flying with him) in order to enjoy the comforts of J, but then he teaches the kid that it's ok to move up front if there are any empty seats. For those of you who use the "he's only a kid" argument, just remember that he won't be a kid forever. He will be an entitled teen in a few years and an entitled adult a few years after that.
So, can anybody advance an argument based upon the event in question, rather than on hypothetical events in the future?

As an aside, the bolded piece above is a fantastic example of twisting or inventing facts to fit a desired narrative.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
There is a distinction between wanting to sit in a more comfortable cabin versus wanting to sit beside Dad and/or following Dad's instructions.
How did hypothetical future flights enter the debate? Neither I nor the OP introduced the concept....
If Dad wants his child to sit beside him in J, dad can pay for the seat.
If Dad wants to provide instructions to the child, Dad can go sit in Y with the child or pay for the child to sit in J.

I'm sorry that some of you are mildly offended by my stand on this. This forum isn't the only one that has debated self-upgrading pax. And yes, perhaps for some of us, it is black and white.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Swapping is one thing.... This is just purr stealing
Where is the cat?
CZAMFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
I am 24 years old, but many people in int'l J could be my parent. Next time I will have to use this trick and see how it goes :-)
Hopefully in a deflated pod, so I can get a cash voucher out of it too. Getting paid to sit next to "pops"

/sarcasm of course.

On topic, I personally think it's fine. live and let live. If the kid is quiet, I'm fine with the FA letting him stay or telling the kid to go back. Doesn't bother my flight.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:34 pm

Last thoughts, and then I'm going to get on with my day:

If Dad wants his child to sit beside him in J, dad can pay for the seat.
This has been made abundantly clear by several posters. I wonder why the strong stance, given that nothing was taken from any other passenger; nobody else was affected. Why are some people are such strong defenders of the airline's (now diminished) asset? A reminder: I'm not advocating adults self-upgrade.
If Dad wants to provide instructions to the child, Dad can go sit in Y with the child or pay for the child to sit in J.
The "instructions" referred to Dad going back and asking the kid to follow him forward. Few 6 year olds would defy a parent in this scenario.
I'm sorry that some of you are mildly offended by my stand on this.
Lots of ink has been spilled here, assuming how other FT members and cabin crew feel about the issue. I can only speak for myself.
This forum isn't the only one that has debated self-upgrading pax.
Should we all be on those other pages instead?
And yes, perhaps for some of us, it is black and white.
Ironically, it often doesn't seem to be with the airline, which is the only entity who has skin in the game.

Look at the time...it was a slice!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Nothing gets this forum more upset than self-upgrading pax.

This has been made abundantly clear by several posters. I wonder why the strong stance, given that nothing was taken from any other passenger; nobody else was affected. Why are some people are such strong defenders of the airline's (now diminished) asset?
Seriously. As long as the kid wasn't being disruptive, why else would anyone care?

Reminds me when a certain pompous Air Canada rep posted on this forum that eUps "cheapened" the J cabin. Like a place with a seat and food that on the ground would amount to dinner at a two-star hotel could really be further cheapened.
CZAMFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.