Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:56 pm

And again. With a new twist.

On 43 on way home. Seat completely deflated. Called SD. Flight full. Reset with rondelle. Said I know how to do if goes down again

Was told only crew were allowed to do and was not allowed to touch or know code as would cause technical issues. Only CREW are allowed to know the secret code.

roll on the next 19 hrs of hell.
skybluesea and flyquiet like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: Free Agent
On 43 on way home. Seat completely deflated. Called SD. Flight full. Reset with rondelle. Said I know how to do if goes down again

Was told only crew were allowed to do and was not allowed to touch or know code as would cause technical issues. Only CREW are allowed to know the secret code.

what happens in the pod, stays in the pod...
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium

What a rich statement from the SD. I can't recall how many SD and FAs I have shown the reset options. I've only had 2 SDs insist they do the initial reset upon notification but every one since then has authorized me to reset myself (and I always explicitly request permission to do so).

Keep ringing that FA call button every 20 mins or bugging them in the galley. I presume the SD will relent pretty quick.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: AC E35K

Was told only crew were allowed to do and was not allowed to touch or know code as would cause technical issues. Only CREW are allowed to know the secret code..
I once had an SD blame me for the seat control panel not working because I had 'reset the seat too many times.' I'd actually only re-inflated the seat with the code, she had done the proper full resets.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: AC*50K MM
Last year I reported an issue with a seat, which actually was not a deflate issue, but I think this response should be on the record. It was clear she had not even read what I sent but going back to what was written seems like perhaps the most forthcoming response we've seen:

"I appreciate your frustration when you are on a long flight and the cushions are not inflating correctly, and the seat power does not function. I tried to call you, however the number xxx-xxx-xxxx would not allow me to leave you a voicemail.

I understand you want compensation over and above what we grant for the broken seat. I am sorry to advise you, we must remain fair and consistent in our response to members who are experiencing the same problem. We offer an Air Canada eCoupon for $500 CAD or 20,000 non status goodwill miles. I am unable to comply with your request for increased compensation.

We are working with the cabin designer on the flaw that is causing the issues with the seat cushions. When the seat reclines, the joint pinches the seat cushion bladder and causes a cut in the seat cushion, the air then leaks out of the bladder. We are aware of the issue and are actively seeking a repair solution."

Hope this helps in the cause.
flyquiet and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
From one of the emails I received for ONE of the stay-flats:

"Thank you for taking the time to write our office regarding your malfunctioning seat on AC ---. I am very sorry to hear the cushion was deflating on you, I appreciate how uncomfortable that is on a long flight.

We have discovered that the joint where the seat reclines can pinch the airbag that inflates and deflates the cushions and it nicks the plastic, putting a hole in it. This ultimately causes the air to escape and the cushion cannot be inflated again. There is a repair solution in the works, and we hope to have a rapid fix for this ongoing issue."

And another one:

"Thank you for writing to us about your flight to XXX on YYY.

I'm so sorry to hear that the seat deflated and the flight attendants weren't able to resolve it. I can understand that the flight was uncomfortable and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

As a gesture of goodwill, I would like to provide you with an Air Canada eCoupon in the amount of $x. Please refer to the information below for complete details.

I regret that you have experienced this issue previously this year. I can assure you that our Cabin Maintenance team is aware of the issue and is actively working to address it.

We very much appreciate your continued loyalty and support, and we hope we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you on board again in the near future.

I have multiples of this one: (BTW, this is the same wording I received for some stay-flats as well as other non-functioning items e.g. IFE)

"Thank you for flying Air Canada on XXXXX.

We make every effort to ensure that all of our customers enjoy a comfortable flight with us and we regret the service shortcoming you experienced. Please accept this Air Canada eCoupon offer with our apologies.

We appreciate your support and hope to welcome you on board with us again soon."

I certainly don't mind a copy-and-paste template for a reply. I'll assume AC just got tired of explaining why the seats don't work, why there is a design flaw, what they and/or the seat manufacturer are doing, whatever.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 31, 2020 at 10:57 am
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by chazbag
I once had an SD blame me for the seat control panel not working because I had 'reset the seat too many times.' I'd actually only re-inflated the seat with the code, she had done the proper full resets.
I was pushing to be moved to another seat before the upgrades cleared but lost out. It deflated every 55 minutes but did reset quite nicely with the Rondell. They didn’t know how to do the other reset. Luckily I was able to use the crew seat after four or five hours because they weren’t going to use it anymore, but that was also deflated this time in the upper part. So I switched between the seats depending on whether I was trying to sleep or sitting up. I did get a bit asleep and I did get a white form. But the highlight of the trip was when I went back to help with a medical and was interrupted by an M.D. who kept shouting me down when provided a brief history and shouted they didn’t want to talk to me because they wanted to focus on the patient :-). Oh boy.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:10 pm

I was pushing to be moved to another seat before the upgrades cleared but lost out. It deflated every 55 minutes but did reset quite nicely with the Rondell.

Too funny, I timed mine on the last flight too. I was getting between 40-60 min before full deflate.

Luckily I was able to use the crew seat after four or five hours because they weren’t going to use it anymore, but that was also deflated this time in the upper part.

I always feel like an a** when I'm offered a crew seat and they have to switch with me, and have often declined because I find it to be a pretty awkward situation. However, given how poorly AC has been dealing with this and me lately, I may have to revisit my guilt and just take the seat.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by jmottle
Too funny, I timed mine on the last flight too. I was getting between 40-60 min before full deflate.

I always feel like an a** when I'm offered a crew seat and they have to switch with me, and have often declined because I find it to be a pretty awkward situation. However, given how poorly AC has been dealing with this and me lately, I may have to revisit my guilt and just take the seat.
I mean the pilot rest seat at 8k. Pilot was in for 4-5hrs and then they said no one else would use so could move over once they had gone back to cockpit . There was actually a crew member in a seat as well (FA) but they didnt offer - and usually suggest we find another way if possible (though was forced into seat once).
jmottle likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:30 pm

I mean the pilot rest seat at 8k. Pilot was in for 4-5hrs and then they said no one else would use so could move over once they had gone back to cockpit . There was actually a crew member in a seat as well (FA) but they didnt offer - and usually suggest we find another way if possible (though was forced into seat once).
I've always been offered it in a way that makes someone else move to my broken seat,. rather than waiting for it to free up. Thus the uncomfortable situation.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:35 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by jmottle

I've always been offered it in a way that makes someone else move to my broken seat,. rather than waiting for it to free up. Thus the uncomfortable situation.
Uncomfortable seems to be the operative word although this particular side effect of 'Deflategate' was beaten to death up-thread by our resident philosophers.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 12:34 pm
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Uncomfortable seems to be the operative word although this particular side effect of 'Deflategate' was beaten to death up-thread by our resident philosophers.
I don't feel that was necessary. Several people, myself included, sought feedback on the ethics of willingly swapping a defective seat with another customer (not any crew or non-rev passenger). It's an entirely reasonable question- posed and laid to rest weeks ago - that was illuminating in the reactions it provoked.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I don't feel that was necessary. Several people, myself included, sought feedback on the ethics of willingly swapping a defective seat with another customer (not any crew or non-rev passenger). It's an entirely reasonable question- posed and laid to rest weeks ago - that was illuminating in the reactions it provoked.
Funny, I always thought the purpose of a discussion forum was to allow discussion , even if somewhat philosophical. Go figure
D404 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.