Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New VIP lounge YYZ int'l: Air Canada Signature Suite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
As per AC Signature Suite page - July 2, 2021

* Air Canada Signature Class customers travelling on an Air Canada-operated flight (to Europe, Asia and South America) originally booked and ticketed in the following booking classes will be eligible for access to the Air Canada Signature Suite: J, C, D, Z, P. Only Aeroplan flight rewards booked as a Business Class Flexible Reward or a First Class Flexible Reward in J, C, D, Z, P, I booking classes are eligible for access. All bookings in R class (including, but not limited to, eUpgrades, Last-Minute Upgrades, and AC Bid Upgrades), Aeroplan flight rewards booked as a Business Class Lowest Reward or a First Class Lowest Reward, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards, Business Class flight rewards booked and ticketed by partner airlines, and I (including Star Alliance Upgrade Awards), as well as bookings made during irregular operations where the customer was not originally booked and confirmed in one of the eligible booking classes, will be excluded. Eligible customers may not invite guests. Access to the Air Canada Signature Suite is not available to customers travelling on promotional tickets or employees.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/premium-services/signature-suite.html

canadiancow's photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/0nui9iIVxRH5nczi1

Video of Signature Suite along with menus and food shots. https://youtu.be/QDdKM735n3k
Print Wikipost

New VIP lounge YYZ int'l: Air Canada Signature Suite

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2021, 11:56 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
With the recent posts regarding access to the Signature Suite YYZ. Have I missed an opening date?
Old Sep 5, 2021, 12:01 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
With the recent posts regarding access to the Signature Suite YYZ. Have I missed an opening date?
No.
pmarrsouth likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 7:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by sha8192
That's a nice new perk with the new redemption system.
Did some random lookup to Asian destinations and the business flex redemption is mostly 12k more expensive (one way). That converts to ~$200 for being able to access Signature lounge.
Not a too good value but I guess you also gain the flexibility of cancelling free of charge.
$200 isn't a bad deal at all, although I'm not sure where you got that number from given that each point is worth $0.03.

- meal and drinks: $75, waymore if you can drink a lot
- at least another 1.5 hours of sleep (because you won't have to eat on the plane): $250

AND you have more flexibility on your ticket, the SSL is a nicer space than the MLL, the service is better (although some might not care about that)... IMHO it's a no brainer. Especially if you're going points/cash and get better value on the excess points.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Except they've said, numerous times, that J flex rewards are only as cheap as they are because neither SS is open.

Expect the price delta to increase.
Dave510 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by yyztozag
$200 isn't a bad deal at all, although I'm not sure where you got that number from given that each point is worth $0.03.

- meal and drinks: $75, waymore if you can drink a lot
- at least another 1.5 hours of sleep (because you won't have to eat on the plane): $250

AND you have more flexibility on your ticket, the SSL is a nicer space than the MLL, the service is better (although some might not care about that)... IMHO it's a no brainer. Especially if you're going points/cash and get better value on the excess points.
He's likely using the cost of acquiring Aeroplan miles right now via the ticket refund method, which is significantly below $0.03.

But like cow said, don't expect the 12k delta to hold once the SS is open again.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave510
He's likely using the cost of acquiring Aeroplan miles right now via the ticket refund method, which is significantly below $0.03.

But like cow said, don't expect the 12k delta to hold once the SS is open again.
Acquiring points in some trade group (“personal” travel agents) is @~1.6cpp. (Mod plz remove this if it’s forbidden to talk about on this forum)

As for the delta going up, you can definitely book a year in advance and hope SS opens by then. Otherwise it’s free cancellation since it’s a J flex redemption.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by sha8192
Acquiring points in some trade group (“personal” travel agents) is @~1.6cpp. (Mod plz remove this if it’s forbidden to talk about on this forum)

As for the delta going up, you can definitely book a year in advance and hope SS opens by then. Otherwise it’s free cancellation since it’s a J flex redemption.
"Trade groups" are unnecessarily risky, since you're risking both an account closure (against TOS) and counterparty risk (their accounts getting closed, or your ticket getting cancelled).

Currently, given the right circumstances (overseas address and the right credit cards), you can acquire them right now at 1.32 cents (without violating any TOS or hoping you're not dealing with an unscrupulous "agent").

And yes, if you're willing to extend an interest-free loan to Air Canada far in advance, you can get a better price.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave510
"Trade groups" are unnecessarily risky, since you're risking both an account closure (against TOS) and counterparty risk (their accounts getting closed, or your ticket getting cancelled).
Trade group is a bit off-topic, I’m just using that to gauge the market value of the points. We don’t have to go in a detailed discussion for that.

Currently, given the right circumstances (overseas address and the right credit cards), you can acquire them right now at 1.32 cents (without violating any TOS or hoping you're not dealing with an unscrupulous "agent").
1.32cpp seems to be too good to be true. Any specific instructions to acquire points at this rate? I know for oversea address no tax is charged, but can’t seem to understand how can it be this low. (I would imagine the “market value” to be around 1.32cpp if this is easy enough to be done)

And yes, if you're willing to extend an interest-free loan to Air Canada far in advance, you can get a better price.
not if you already own the points 😏
The tax/surcharge on a reward redemption is pretty low now, I wouldn’t be concerned too much on an interest free loan of ~$50.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 7:49 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
This is the Signature Suite thread. Let's please try to get back on topic, and save general posts for points valuation and how to acquire them for other, more appropriate venues.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator
Old Sep 9, 2021, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Business Class is Business Class - you have access to the lounge, it's only really Air Canada that screws over customers flying business on award tickets who want to enter the Signature Lounge.
I have been once to AC Signature Lounge in YYZ while flying on a revenue ticket with AC. Honestly there is not much to talk about the lounge when you compare it to other airlines elite lounges like LH or BA or even UA Polaris lounge in ORD or EWR. The best description for AC Signature lounge is: Mediocre Luxurious Lounge.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I have been once to AC Signature Lounge in YYZ while flying on a revenue ticket with AC. Honestly there is not much to talk about the lounge when you compare it to other airlines elite lounges like LH or BA or even UA Polaris lounge in ORD or EWR. The best description for AC Signature lounge is: Mediocre Luxurious Lounge.
Really?

I would've argued that the AC YYZ Signature Lounge is among the top business class class lounges, especially in term of catering.

Since you mentioned BA and LH lounges, I'm very much familiar with both:

- LH business class lounges: catering is generally quite poor
- LH Senator lounges: usually 1-2 good food options, but not a la carte and not freshly prepared
- BA business class lounges: at least pre-covid, catering was somewhere between appalling and disgusting
- BA Gold / First Class lounges: catering is usually ok, but AC Signature lounge is still much better IMO

On the other hand, UA seems to do a really good job with its Polaris lounges, so I'll give UA credit for that.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Huh? Sure, there are some great lounges in the ME and Asia, but AC operates the best Western J lounge. Taking your examples into consideration:

- LH group lounges - some look stunning with decent food (LX ZRH Dock E) and some just terrible (VIE, ZAG, etc)
- BA J lounges - one word: crap. All of them. I've been to a few at LHR and there are very few positive reviews of them. Sure, the F lounges look okay, but you can get into the SSL on a $2000 ticket. The same can't be said about BA F lounges.
- Polaris - sure, you can have a decent debate here. UA have done a great job on their newer lounges. Still, the general consensus is that Polaris < Signature Suite, so it's possible that you just came on a really bad day.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
AC's highest cabin/service is J (or "C" or whatever else is similar).
Are some comparing the SSL to F lounges? If so, that's not exactly the best comparison.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 10:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
And the number of people who are able to both compare several elite airport lounges across a few dozen global airport lounges and also who think they are magical places worth changing plans over is fleetingly small. YYZ SSL is table stakes for that game, not winning.

The target market really is a handful of US mid-western rich guys who would just as happily go through YYZ as NYC/LAX/SEA to destinations further along. But no one who wants a good meal and has the coin to choice between LHR vs ORD for food and service is considering the lounges in London or Chicago airports.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 12:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Yeah, if we're comparing F lounges to the SS, I've been in some that beat it, I've been in a few that are comparable, and I've been in a few that are worse (eg the old UA GFL).

If we're only looking at J lounges, the only one I've tried that comes close is Polaris, but the food quality in the SS is substantially higher. Like a diner versus a pretty nice (at least for Canada) restaurant.

If you want showers without having to leave "the lounge" (and that means different things in YYZ and YVR), sure, Polaris is better. But for what I want in a lounge, SS wins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.