Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:13 am

Can I play along too!
I have given up on YVR-SIN, so maybe they can experiment with YYC-SIN
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by Hellfire
Hahaha if you think YYC is being ignored come to YEG. At least YYC still has direct flights internationally with AC. YEG has nothing.
But YEG is not a AC hub. The whole point of this thread (which seems to be missed) is that AC designates YYC as a hub (and I've argued it's not a real hub but there was not agreement with me on that thread), yet it introduced 29 new international destinations in the past 2 years and not a single one from a "hub", YYC.

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
You should try being in YOW, which always has and always will punch below our weight (metro population of 1.3M) because AC can funnel us to YYZ or YUL on a short haul flight and say "there you go". Talk to me about the rapidair surcharge.
YOW is not an AC hub. See above.

Originally Posted by jasdou
Similar story with YQB. We have a metro population of 1.1M yet we are only served by a fleet of Dash-8s to YUL and YYZ. I wish we had non-stop options to the EU or to the US but it is not going to happen given AC's current strategy. It seems obvious from the comments made by @RatherBeInYOW, @Hellfire that other markets feel underserved besides YYC.
YQB is not a hub. See above.

Originally Posted by lespoir
Meanwhile you can not treat YYC as a through-traffic city. In YVR case, it's still a popular leisure destination with more attractive tourism and even residential passengers, Calgary is primarily a work-only destination, with seasonal tourism.

With the oil industry on the slow recovery, debatable if years down the road, it is hard to see the AC management add any new route to YYC in the foreseeable future. I would not bet anything in this year for sure. Any addition of international routes, like MEX or PEK, will be many years away.
Maybe so - but WS is trying? And I mention MEX and PEK because two carriers just added those routes (YYC-MEX with AM and YYC-PEK with Hainan) in the past 2 years, and they seem to be doing well? But 0/29 new routes from AC?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
YOW is not an AC hub. See above.
Cherry pick much? Re-read this from the same post I made:

Air Canada has a very public strategy of funneling people through hubs, which go roughy as YYZ > YVR > YUL > YYC.

YYC ends up lower on the hub totem pole because of less population, less O/D demand and a less desirable geographic situation relative the other hubs.
How is that not true? The YYC status as "hub" benefits YYC a lot more than other similar sized Canadian cities, but you deservedly end up lower on the totem pole than all of the other AC hubs.

I'm not sure what exactly you have to complain about. You get a bunch of direct connections because YYC acts as sort of a middle of Canada hub, and for everything else you go through YVR or YYZ like everyone else.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
I'm not sure what exactly you have to complain about. You get a bunch of direct connections because YYC acts as sort of a middle of Canada hub, and for everything else you go through YVR or YYZ like everyone else.
Actually, I'm not complaining at all. I don't care. Since I don't chase status and simply buy J (which gets you most of what you get with status anyway) I will just take whatever carrier I want. The whole point of this thread is not to whine about YYC service. The point is - other carriers are expanding in YYC, including WS, Hainan and AM. Out of 30 international routes added in the past two years, YYC got YYC-SFO in a CRA.

What I'm trying to ask is - why do the other carriers feel they can expand, but AC has not expanded even a little? And the answer could be they are just content with the market they serve here and are fine allowing the other carriers to grow. I'm good with that answer. I'm trying to have a discussion around the business sense or strategy we are seeing here.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: air miles
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by eigenvector
I don't think this is about YVR-originating demand - YVR is simply better positioned geographically as a connecting hub for TPAC flights for passengers from the western USA, which has many times more people than either the Vancouver or Calgary metro areas.
This...

+1

My view on AC's hubs has been this. YYZ is the main hub, YVR is the secondary hub with focus on the Asia pacific region, YUL is the secondary hub with focus on Europe. Maybe YYC would work as a hub for polar routes. This question is like asking why DFW or DEN don't get the same service/new routes that ATL or LAX get

Last edited by JustSomeGuy1978; Jul 25, 2017 at 8:08 am
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:04 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
As part of its revamped schedule, WestJet said it’s increasing the number of connecting flights that land in Calgary by 55 per cent.

I think for the first time WS will offer more YVR-YYC flights than AC per day.

We've seen new service to Asia (PEK-Hainan), Central America (MEX-AM and BZE-WS), Europe (LGW-WS), but nothing from AC for several years except a mainline flight to HUX (I think weekly).

Will AC start offering new service or will they hold tight and allow WS and other carriers to expand?

Note: I'm not complaining or whining here - I'm asking a business question.
WS to LGW? Not exactly new, AC and BA already fly to LHR, so it's a proven route.

HUX service is rouge and on a 763. AC also seems to have upgauged Mexico service in general. SJD is mainline 320, CUN is a 763, PVR is 763. I think they were all rouge 319s before. The rouging of OGG also adds capacity to that route.

Originally Posted by pitz
What's AC supposed to do? Dilute YVR, so they can chase largely non-existent business at YYC? Empty front cabins? AC's strategy seems to be working, why change it?
What empty front cabins? They're no less full than they were with $100 oil.

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Keep in mind that 4 of the top 5 employers are local government agencies (e.g. the city, education and the provincial health care system.)
What on Earth is that supposed to mean? The largest employer in the US is the federal government. That stat would also likely apply to places like YYZ and YVR.

YYC is not a government town like YOW.

And, if it were, if anything that should have kept travel demand strong since government employees are typically unionized and insulated from economic pressures like recessions.

So I'm not sure what relevance that fact has to what we're discussing here.

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
IYHO.

There are some markets that stand out for me that are underserved by AC that let's WS print money. One that comes to mind is PVR, where clients are paying over $2K CAD for WS seats on the non-stops and in some cases, routing via YVR, YYJ or even YLW. The increased YLW flights up to WS 7x daily non-stops in W18 vs AC 3x daily. Just 2 that come to mind.
$2K for YYC-PVR round trip on WS non-stop? I just looked at a bunch of date combos through the same Google Flights calendar. Never more than about $1400 return, even in busy Christmas/spring break seasons. Usually more like $800. Hardly seems like WS printing money on that route.

The other development that made me shake my head as the new 40 service is announced for YYZ-MEX/CUN in additional their existing YUL-MEX/CUN offering. So now we have a choice of AC, AM and now 40. Why choose AC over the others? I don't any longer.
What does IntetJet flying to YYZ have to do with YYC?

But YEG is not a AC hub. The whole point of this thread (which seems to be missed) is that AC designates YYC as a hub (and I've argued it's not a real hub but there was not agreement with me on that thread), yet it introduced 29 new international destinations in the past 2 years and not a single one from a "hub", YYC.
I think you misinterpret the nature of the YYC hub. YYZ, YUL and YVR are bigger, with more O/D traffic and better positioned geographically for international service. YYC is a hub for traffic from the prairies to connect to the rest of Canada, TB, and some international. My friends who live in YXE think YYC is a great hub.

Relative to places like YQU, YXE, YQF, etc, YYC has tons of flight options.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Actually, I'm not complaining at all. I don't care. Since I don't chase status and simply buy J (which gets you most of what you get with status anyway) I will just take whatever carrier I want. The whole point of this thread is not to whine about YYC service. The point is - other carriers are expanding in YYC, including WS, Hainan and AM. Out of 30 international routes added in the past two years, YYC got YYC-SFO in a CRA.

What I'm trying to ask is - why do the other carriers feel they can expand, but AC has not expanded even a little? And the answer could be they are just content with the market they serve here and are fine allowing the other carriers to grow. I'm good with that answer. I'm trying to have a discussion around the business sense or strategy we are seeing here.
How would anyone but AC management know the answer to that?

I expect the answer is what everyone is telling you: AC feels YYC already has enough O/D capacity, and it is only a "hub" insofar as it is serving the central Canadian market.

Air Canada is only going to add more direct routes to YYC if they feel other carriers are pulling pax from the AC network with direct routes. I mean probably 90% of the YOW capacity on AC metal that is not going to an AC hub can be traced to competition on the route from WS or Porter or Transat/Sunwing/etc. I suspect we only get YOW-Florida, YOW-Carribean and YOW-Western Canada because AC knows they'd lose business with people choosing to fly direct with competitors. I can't imagine why YYC would be any different.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
YYC should consider themselves lucky, they are not ignored as much as YEG.

We don't have any AC flights outside domestic! Thankfully other airlines do.

Last edited by stinger; Jul 25, 2017 at 9:00 am
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:39 am

Oil prices must be improving; people in YYC getting persnickety again. Its so much easier when oil <decreases, they lose their arrogance quickly.

What a silly thread.

(-;
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I think you misinterpret the nature of the YYC hub. YYZ, YUL and YVR are bigger, with more O/D traffic and better positioned geographically for international service. YYC is a hub for traffic from the prairies to connect to the rest of Canada, TB, and some international. My friends who live in YXE think YYC is a great hub.

Relative to places like YQU, YXE, YQF, etc, YYC has tons of flight options.
It does, and what you describe is what the YYC hub is for AC. But - back to my question - why is that way for AC, but not for WS or other carriers? Why did Hainan add PEK and AM add MEX and AC added nothing? Are they trying to add these routes to funnel Asia traffic thru PEK and South American traffic thru MEX?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Oil prices must be improving; people in YYC getting persnickety again. Its so much easier when oil <decreases, they lose their arrogance quickly.

What a silly thread.
Thread was not started by someone at YYC. And some/most of us think it's OK as it is.

For a city of the size of YYC having nonstops to LHR, FRA and NRT is actually pretty good.

Of course some folks around Red Deer have to jump in and complain about their limited service.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy

What a silly thread.

(-;
Good grief. Can we not have a rational discussion about business decisions on FT? Must everything be whining and complaining? Every time I bring something like this up, I get:

a) Stop whining, you get better service than Yxx (not the point) OR;
b) Why are you asking this question? AC has smart people who know.

The whole point is to discuss the why. Is this too cerebral a topic for you guys?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
IYHO.

. The increased YLW flights up to WS 7x daily non-stops in W18 vs AC 3x daily. Just 2 that come to mind.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...oronto-launch/
I can't see AC increasing YYC-YLW flights unless they Rouge it. This Route is mostly for leisure.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
Thread was not started by someone at YYC. And some/most of us think it's OK as it is.
Actually, I am YYC-based, but again - not the point. If anyone actually posted in the WS forum I could start another thread called "Why does WS ignore YUL"? Although admittedly, WS does not claim YUL as a hub.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
They should probably do more YEG YYC flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.