Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC starving AE

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
It still is, except the 112 YYZ - YVR flights if they were in Tango and not counting the fees. BTW, was AE around when AC had F class? I know 1 thing, AC didn't fly any Pacific routes at that time.
No, but I was able to fly UA, or CX, and redeem for the flights I wanted.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
No, but I was able to fly UA, or CX, and redeem for the flights I wanted.
I don't understand what you are trying to say. As SE, you basically can fly any flight you want on points. Isn't that what UA and CX is offering?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WR Cage
Good analysis @Stranger on the challenges faced by AE.

A few more points to consider:
(1) Aimia has $600 million cash and short term investments, however discounted liabilities for future point redemption are $2.2 billion.
(2) The liabilities all ready have a healthy breakage amount built into their calculation. If the assumption on breakage do not prove to be true (e.g. small time AE members decide to clear out their account), this liability could increase at a rapid rate.
(3) Aimia has suspended their dividend and key finance are in the process of finding alternate employment. The CFO departed 10 days ago. All this points to AE going into cash conservation mode.
(4) There is a real risk that average joe AE members will stop collecting AE miles and move to other programs because everyone is under the impression that rewards end June 30, 2020. This could impact AE inbound cash.

This past week in YYC was Calgary Stampede. I had a long time in various pancake and BBQ lineups with my inlaws. They have all stopped collecting AE miles through Gas, hardware store, etc. Further, they have switched into a harvest mindset. Taking a 50,000 market price reward on YYC-LAS-YYC is a lot more appealing now. Before the divorce announcement, all my inlaws were hoping to cash in a J class reward to Europe.

So multiply my mother in law, wife's aunt and uncle over the "average joe/jane" person collecting AE miles, and the financing question faced by Aimia is whether they have a 2.2 billion liability or a 4 billion liability. This question is exclusive of SE and Altitude status holders, most of whom have redeemed as the earn on at least a few occasions.
This is a great post but more appropriate for the Aeroplan demise thread, I will copy your post, and respond there instead.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by WR Cage
Good analysis @Stranger on the challenges faced by AE.

A few more points to consider:
(1) Aimia has $600 million cash and short term investments, however discounted liabilities for future point redemption are $2.2 billion.
(2) The liabilities all ready have a healthy breakage amount built into their calculation. If the assumption on breakage do not prove to be true (e.g. small time AE members decide to clear out their account), this liability could increase at a rapid rate.
(3) Aimia has suspended their dividend and key finance are in the process of finding alternate employment. The CFO departed 10 days ago. All this points to AE going into cash conservation mode.
(4) There is a real risk that average joe AE members will stop collecting AE miles and move to other programs because everyone is under the impression that rewards end June 30, 2020. This could impact AE inbound cash.

This past week in YYC was Calgary Stampede. I had a long time in various pancake and BBQ lineups with my inlaws. They have all stopped collecting AE miles through Gas, hardware store, etc. Further, they have switched into a harvest mindset. Taking a 50,000 market price reward on YYC-LAS-YYC is a lot more appealing now. Before the divorce announcement, all my inlaws were hoping to cash in a J class reward to Europe.

So multiply my mother in law, wife's aunt and uncle over the "average joe/jane" person collecting AE miles, and the financing question faced by Aimia is whether they have a 2.2 billion liability or a 4 billion liability. This question is exclusive of SE and Altitude status holders, most of whom have redeemed as the earn on at least a few occasions.
I think many stopped collecting AE points long before the divorce announcement when they realize that it's near impossible to find redemption seats on AC unless one is SE with IKK. Even when in rare time, they can find seats, they are shocked at the high fees being charged for the supposedly "free" tickets.

The inevitable eventual demise of AE is self inflicted.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801
I think many stopped collecting AE points long before the divorce announcement when they realize that it's near impossible to find redemption seats on AC unless one is SE with IKK.
That's complete hyperbole. AP redemptions were never designed to displace revenue travel from AC's perspective. That's why, for example, most of the "corporate" or "government" world doesn't consider collecting AP points on employer or public paid travel to be a form of bribery. That's why the CRA doesn't consider them a taxable benefit. AP is just a fancy way of allocating seats in the AC network (and extended more recently, to the Star Alliance) that were probably never going to be sold for revenue.

Even when in rare time, they can find seats, they are shocked at the high fees being charged for the supposedly "free" tickets.
Most of the fees are government-imposed surcharges, AIFs, etc. Their beef isn't really with AC. Yes, there are some routes that AC's discounting of highly restricted revenue tickets has made AP redemptions rather unattractive, but there are lots of domestic redemptions that are still an excellent value.

Perhaps so, by going wild with selling points. But as I said in a previous message, the airline business in Canada is notoriously cyclical and AC will likely be begging AP to come back into the fold when the load factors start dropping significantly due to a consumer spending pullback.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Clipper801
I think many stopped collecting AE points long before the divorce announcement when they realize that it's near impossible to find redemption seats on AC unless one is SE with IKK. Even when in rare time, they can find seats, they are shocked at the high fees being charged for the supposedly "free" tickets.

Then wouldn't every program be equally bad?

X/I/O availability are the same for all partners.

Unless you're talking about Canadians flying within Canada. Aeroplan has more seats than other partners, which would make Aeroplan a better option in terms of availability.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow

Unless you're talking about Canadians flying within Canada. Aeroplan has more seats than other partners, which would make Aeroplan a better option in terms of availability.
Many times, I tried to redeem a seat on AC and none was available.

I was then "forced" to buy a revenue ticket.

When the door closed and taxied to take off, there were dozens of empty seats.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by pitz
That's complete hyperbole. AP redemptions were never designed to displace revenue travel from AC's perspective. That's why, for example, most of the "corporate" or "government" world doesn't consider collecting AP points on employer or public paid travel to be a form of bribery. That's why the CRA doesn't consider them a taxable benefit. AP is just a fancy way of allocating seats in the AC network (and extended more recently, to the Star Alliance) that were probably never going to be sold for revenue.

Most of the fees are government-imposed surcharges, AIFs, etc. Their beef isn't really with AC. Yes, there are some routes that AC's discounting of highly restricted revenue tickets has made AP redemptions rather unattractive, but there are lots of domestic redemptions that are still an excellent value.

Perhaps so, by going wild with selling points. But as I said in a previous message, the airline business in Canada is notoriously cyclical and AC will likely be begging AP to come back into the fold when the load factors start dropping significantly due to a consumer spending pullback.
Fortunately, I live in a city with plenty of choices. When one lives in a 3rd tier city where AC is the only significant airline ..........
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow

Things could have changed since 2011 as I don't typically redeem on Air Canada these days. Back when BD was an Aeroplan partner, whatever availability that is shown on Aeroplan.com, it was bookable using BD miles, including Business Class. That's how I checked availability before calling BD to book.

During the Vancouver Olympics, I once redeemed an award ticket on AC in J using BD miles as follows: SEA-YYZ-YUL(Stopver)-YVR as a one way award using BD's crazy award chart and its infamous Indian Call Center. You would think a domestic transcontinental such as YUL-YVR in J would be next to impossible during the Olympics but alas, it was available and not a red eye flight either.

I probably have more experience redeeming on AC domestically using non-Aeroplan miles than most people here since I left Aeroplan over a decade ago. As far as I am concerned, I have never experienced a case where Aeroplan somehow has greater availability than its *A partners.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
All I know is that when FF plans were first instituted, if I flew, say, 12 round trips paid F Transpacific, I was able to redeem one Transpacific
round trip in F at no charge, when I wanted to fly.
If I flew 12 transAtlantic flights in J, I was able to redeem 1 transAtlantic
flight in J at no charge, when I wanted to fly.
If I flew 12 YYZ-YVR returns in Y, I'd be able to redeem 1 YYZ-YVR flight
at no charge, on a non-stop, when I wanted to fly.

None of these are remotely possible today.
Bingo. And that was the original intent. Starbucks used this concept when it offered its loyalty cards of buy 9 cups and get the tenth on the house. No tax, no fee, just a sincere thank you by giving a product of similar value.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Guava
I probably have more experience redeeming on AC domestically using non-Aeroplan miles than most people here since I left Aeroplan over a decade ago. As far as I am concerned, I have never experienced a case where Aeroplan somehow has greater availability than its *A partners.
There's a OMAAT article about it. It's been going on for 1.5-2 years.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I don't understand what you are trying to say. As SE, you basically can fly any flight you want on points. Isn't that what UA and CX is offering?

You were telling me that AC did not fly transpacific back in the 80's and 90's.
I agreed, but in those days one could use AE points to redeem for CX flights.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
You were telling me that AC did not fly transpacific back in the 80's and 90's.
I agreed, but in those days one could use AE points to redeem for CX flights.
AC did not fly any Pacific routes until late 80's,(maybe early 90's). The Canadian government would not let them fly any Pacific routes, protecting Canadian Airlines. Their first routes were HKG(max 3 x week) and KIX. You could use points on CX in the early 80's, because they were a AE partner and codeshared with AC on the YVR-HKG route. The codeshare stopped when AC started flying that route.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by Guava
Things could have changed since 2011 as I don't typically redeem on Air Canada these days. Back when BD was an Aeroplan partner, whatever availability that is shown on Aeroplan.com, it was bookable using BD miles, including Business Class. That's how I checked availability before calling BD to book.

During the Vancouver Olympics, I once redeemed an award ticket on AC in J using BD miles as follows: SEA-YYZ-YUL(Stopver)-YVR as a one way award using BD's crazy award chart and its infamous Indian Call Center. You would think a domestic transcontinental such as YUL-YVR in J would be next to impossible during the Olympics but alas, it was available and not a red eye flight either.

You flew from Seattle to Vancouver with stops in Toronto and Montreal? Why wouldn't you drive? It would have been way quicker. I could see it for a mileage run, but redeeming miles???? I am missing something here.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The smallest state
You flew from Seattle to Vancouver with stops in Toronto and Montreal? Why wouldn't you drive? It would have been way quicker. I could see it for a mileage run, but redeeming miles???? I am missing something here.
Note that I said it was a one-way award with a looong "stopover" in Montreal. So it was charged as a one-way award from Seattle to Vancouver with stopover in Montreal. If I need to say it more plainly, the award costed next to nothing.

Trips like that costed between 7500 to 11250 BD miles whereas it would have cost 50000 Aeroplan miles instead. So why would anyone used Aeroplan miles in such as a case was, well, not logical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.