Wiki Posts
Search

AC starving AE

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by 97gst
I think the more logical explanation is that there is a "rush to the exits" that didn't exist before.

Same number of seats overall "available" each month, but many times the number of people trying to cash out vs say July of 2016 when nobody thought their points program was about to go bankrupt.
Hmm, Aeroplan customers aren't the only ones that have access to AC reward seats. Aren't there 27 other airlines in Star Alliance? Surely, Aeroplan customers are a small minority.

However, I did give an example a couple of weeks ago on a YYZ-YOW flight where less than 24 hrs out, not a single biz class seat had been sold, yet there was no IKK availability. Now that stinks!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
A month and still waiting...

I'm SE and trying to book
AC direct
June 1, 2018
BNE (Brisbane) to YVR (Vancouver)
and I have 9 Priority bookings available.

I started trying to book on AE since availability opened mid June. My buddy with no status booked J through AE on the day it became available. As soon as he booked, AE availability in J vanished and has not returned. I check every day since mid June, but nothing. Most relevant though, is the fact that my buddy is the only occupied seat in the J cabin!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I just tried to switch two segments from Y to Rouge J for a trip next week, AC 1853, 07/23/17, and AC 1852 on the 29th, J9/R5, J9/R9, respectively.

AP couldn't do anything for me.

I did not verbally invoke SE to the AP agent, maybe that would have helped.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I just tried to switch two segments from Y to Rouge J for a trip next week, AC 1853, 07/23/17, and AC 1852 on the 29th, J9/R5, J9/R9, respectively.

Why would you tell the agent you are already a SE? They already know.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Why would you tell the agent you are already a SE? They already know.
I would think so. But I'd also think they could put me in one of the empty J seats.

I might try again later and then through the week. I know its DEFCON that week in Vegas, but then, its always something in Vegas.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If there was R inventory IKK should have been available. Perhaps you needed to ask for it?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Was it a priority booking?

I always mention "Super Elite priority". It avoids the typical "there's no space".

Originally Posted by Stranger
If there was R inventory IKK should have been available. Perhaps you needed to ask for it?
That's not strictly true, though with R5, I would expect some IKK availability.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Was it a priority booking?

I always mention "Super Elite priority". It avoids the typical "there's no space".

It was. I've already HU. Will CA
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Rookie SE here with some AE questions

1) What is IKK?

2) The 10 Priority Awards are applicable how? I assume each way per person is an award used? Meaning 4 people return on Priority flights would be 8 rewards used, correct?

I've got 4 separate itineraries to book via AE for travel in Oct/Dec and want to be able to maximize my return and understanding.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Rookie SE here with some AE questions

1) What is IKK?

2) The 10 Priority Awards are applicable how? I assume each way per person is an award used? Meaning 4 people return on Priority flights would be 8 rewards used, correct?

I've got 4 separate itineraries to book via AE for travel in Oct/Dec and want to be able to maximize my return and understanding.
IKK is priority awards for SEs.

Ten awards/year: ech booking is one. Could be more than one person, round trip or one way.

Four separate itineraries=using four priority awards, assuming there is no non-priority ones.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Stranger

Ten awards/year: each booking is one.
Thanks for the quick response! Follow-up question: "year" = Jan-Dec or Mar-Feb (like eUps)?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Thanks for the quick response! Follow-up question: "year" = Jan-Dec or Mar-Feb (like eUps)?
December-ish to December-ish
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
I would think so. But I'd also think they could put me in one of the empty J seats.

I know why you think you should be seated in J, but why should AC do this? If J is that important to you, buy the last seat.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
I know why you think you should be seated in J, but why should AC do this? If J is that important to you, buy the last seat.
Technically if u spend that much you should really not be jumping through all those hoops to redeem the miles.

I mean.. if they said something along the lines of "We raised AQD so that we could keep or enhance the benefits"... if IKK redemption is worsening than it does seem quite disingenious. (I am not saying that is really whats happening right now, but more as a hypothetical)
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:23 pm

To be clear, I called AP attempting to spend more AP miles to switch from Y to J. It already was one of my 10 SE "priority" rewards. I wasn't asking for anything for free.

I booked before I've switched from "mostly" to "always" travel, collecting points like a crazy person, and before the divorce was announced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.