Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Such that it is actually searchable text - one of the important changes to the Aeroplan program in 2019 for Super Elites:

New for Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K members: Complimentary changes and refunds
Beginning July 15, 2019, Air Canada Super Elite 100K members will no longer be charged a fee when they request a change to their Flight Reward booking. Additionally, these members will also no longer be charged a fee to refund their bookings. These fee waivers will apply to all bookings, including those made prior to the new policy coming into effect.

Read the below screenshots for the rest.

July 15 2019
"AEROPLAN FLIGHT REWARDS: NOW WITH MORE FLEXIBILITY AND PEACE-OF-MIND"

https://www.aeroplan.com/whats_new/news_articles.do?dl=WhatsNew_WEBUP31000285_2019_07 _15¤tLanguage=en

New chart with fees in this post

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31306687-post1334.html

Older news releases from 2017 below

Air Canada "What You Need to Know"

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...d-to-know.html

Air Canada Press Release May 11, 2017

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1135

Aeroplan News "To Our Valued Members" - May 11, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/whats_new/...New_2017_05_09

Aeroplan & Air Canada update

We'd like to help our members understand the latest news about our partner, Air Canada.

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-...id=BAN30000311

From Aeroplan - UPDATE May 31, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-and-aeroplan-update.do

Aeroplan Saga Ends in a Long, Financial Detour:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle35080509/

August 11 2017

"We're on solid ground so your plans can take flight."

https://www.aeroplan.com/program-updates.do?currentLanguage=en&cid=008692096

"Five things you need to know about your miles"

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

September 19, 2017 - Investor Day Presentation

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

//
Print Wikipost

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: Marriott-Plat, Aeroplan-Super Elite MM, Hilton-Diamond, Priority Club-Plat, SPG Platinum
Extremely disappointing and not sure why to continue with either program
Old May 11, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Guava
FYI, Aimia`s stock is down 63% at the moment, approximately $1 billion worth of equity value was wiped out today. I will be concerned whether the company can last beyond this year, let alone 2020.
Hope their employees do not have stock options. I might be a bit scared to call in if they are all sitting there thinking I just got wiped out!
Old May 11, 2017, 1:41 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Well, this kind of situation is a lesson in why investors shouldn't buy into a spin-off of any US airlines' "loyalty program". A fool and his/her/their money is soon parted. Investing in Aimia is an example of how fools are parted from money.

I will be interesting to see if this development sparks even further calls for government regulation of loyalty programs. That could do something to valuations.
The spin off was a mistake because the "loyalty program" objective is to increase loyalty. Aeroplan spin off cause loyalty program objective to change to profit maximization and screwing people. It easy if the liability of bad will directs to air-canada and not yourself.

In terms of max profit and screwing people, Air Canada made the right call. Let Aeroplan die. Not allow any conversions because they are all liability. Frequent flyers claim they will choose some other airlines but they are bluffing because years of devaluation didn't hurt the bottom line much.

Next step is start negotiations with all the credit card to have points for the new Air Canada Altitute loyalty program and restrict Aeroplan's redemption. To max proit/limit liability while screwing people, you need to prevent as much redemption as possible. If Aeroplan goes bankrupt, let those points be worthless.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriott-Plat, Aeroplan-Super Elite MM, Hilton-Diamond, Priority Club-Plat, SPG Platinum
It is unlikely to enhance the program especially when it's clearly stated that air canada is doing this for financial reasons and that financially it will improve their position. Typical AC thes days not to really care about its frequent flyers. I'm an extremely loyal AC flyer but they have been disappointing lately
Old May 11, 2017, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Comment from a business associate who is not on FT:

"If Aeroplan is dead before I can redeem my miles for travel on Air Canada, I will not only cancel all current bookings with Air Canada, but will find ways to not purchase another ticket until such time as I know my hard-earned miles are able to be redeemed without insane inflationary increases and that AC looks after its customers. We are not at fault for being stuck flying an airline who didn't own their own program."
Old May 11, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by trek604
I like that part... But it's AC so who knows lol.
Originally Posted by 24left View Post

INTERESTING QUOTE:
So executives believe that the program they offer 3 years from now will be at least more generous than what would have been offered by Aeroplan at that time (although they weren’t willing to commit to saying more valuable than Aeroplan today because of uncertainty of what the loyalty landscape will look like 3 years in the future).

It's the bolded part I have problems with. AC execs believe some mighty strange things! At least they pretend to when they outline their program enhancements!
Old May 11, 2017, 1:45 pm

My question exactly, why would we continue with AC? They should be allowing transfer of miles to the new program. Now everyone's going to be scrambling to use their miles... AC is really disappointing lately.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by yeunganson
The spin off

Next step is start negotiations with all the credit card to have points for the new Air Canada Altitute loyalty program .
Hmmm, if that card comes out soon, then maybe that answers the question of how a program will get off the ground in 2020 with no-one having any points to accrued. Come out with a credit card now and give your Altitude members three years to build up their balances so they can spend on day one of the new program.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I wonder if this news will mean a change in the name of this FT forum down the ine...
Old May 11, 2017, 1:47 pm

Agreed! Disappointed noting that AC is going to screw all thei frequent flyers

Exactly!! This will be a loss for us as customers. Very disappointing and pathetic

This will not be better for the consumer. Think of just the frequent flyers alone who have accumulated so many miles, some who are saving them for retirement, etc. AC will make it expensive and difficult for aeroplan users

Last edited by tcook052; May 11, 2017 at 1:55 pm Reason: merge multiple posts
Old May 11, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PreferJ
I'm surprised that no one is postulating that this is a great opportunity for AC to blow up Altitude and greatly "enhance" it.

It'll also be interesting to see what Aeroplan evolves into - first off, the name will make no sense anymore since it will have nothing to do with flying. This move is going to generate tremendous confusion in the marketplace.

From a business point of view, I really can't see the small Canadian market needing another points program either.

Interesting times ahead.
What surprised me is the timing. We are a long way off from 2020, which generally means anything can happen between now and then. Aimia`s press release stated in a way as if this is not yet a done deal but merely a possibility. So it begs to ask, what is the real purpose of this sudden announcement from Air Canada? It`s not like they have a new FFP set up and ready to go. AC ought to know Aimia will get slaughtered by this announcement as evidenced by the catastrophic single day drop in its stock price by over 63%. This also raises another troubling question: <<Air Canada spun off Aeroplan and made a killing from its IPO less than 10 years ago.>> Now AC will likely cause the demise of its own spin off which AC benefited handsomely from a financial standpoint. Do I smell some very serious lawsuits coming?
Old May 11, 2017, 1:57 pm

I was in a TD branch today and I mentioned the change because they had an ad up for their Aeroplan Visa card. He asked if I knew why, and I simply said I'm sure it's a way to Air Canada to make more money and for their customers to lose benefits.

He agreed that made perfect sense.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Airmiles announced their major change (points expiry) several years ahead. And, we know what happened there.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
What surprised me is the timing. We are a long way off from 2020, which generally means anything can happen between now and then. Aimia`s press release stated in a way as if this is not yet a done deal but merely a possibility. So it begs to ask, what is the real purpose of this sudden announcement from Air Canada? It`s not like they have a new FFP set up and ready to go. AC ought to know Aimia will get slaughtered by this announcement as evidenced by the catastrophic single day drop in its stock price by over 63%. This also raises another troubling question: <<Air Canada spun off Aeroplan and made a killing from its IPO less than 10 years ago.>> Now AC will likely cause the demise of its own spin off which AC benefited handsomely from a financial standpoint. Do I smell some very serious lawsuits coming?
Or, why would anyone invest in a company that didn't own it's own destiny. BTW, I also is a lawsuit coming.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:02 pm

This also raises another troubling question: <<Air Canada spun off Aeroplan and made a killing from its IPO less than 10 years ago.>> Now AC will likely cause the demise of its own spin off which AC benefited handsomely from a financial standpoint. Do I smell some very serious lawsuits coming?
Good question/thought. Canada's class action scene is pretty weak, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.