Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYZ AC Delays - Runway Construction - April 7 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ AC Delays - Runway Construction - April 7 2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Why can't they say, "it looks like 2 hours, but check (online, on the displays, etc.) in one hour to see if it's been moved up". Then people could go somewhere that would keep them occupied for 2 hours, but would know to check into the status. They would not be able to cut the delay to less than one hour, but everyone would have been given fair warning that it could be cut from two.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by canopus27
You gotta be kidding me, they just closed the door!

The GA came on board, did a survey, and kicked a guy out of a seat across the aisle from me - saying that he was in the wrong seat, and that pair of seats were for someone else ... so I'm certain that more people were expected ...

But now the door is closed, both those seats are empty, there are a ton of other open seats (including open J seats, and I know J was full) ... and I'm just incredulous.

oh, wait, they just opened the door, let 2 more people in, and closed the door again ... and now we've pushed back.

What a way to run an airline.

#flaberghasted
LOL wow I can imagine all the non FF's that didn't have travel alerts yelling at AC staff hahahaha
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Why can't they say, "it looks like 2 hours, but check (online, on the displays, etc.) in one hour to see if it's been moved up". Then people could go somewhere that would keep them occupied for 2 hours, but would know to check into the status. They would not be able to cut the delay to less than one hour, but everyone would have been given fair warning that it could be cut from two.
And how would AC get that information? It goes something like this:

ATC doesn't issue clearance for departure, gives them a new departure time resulting in pushback 30 minutes late. So the cockpit announces the "short" delay.

20 minutes later ATC tells them the delay will now be 2 hours. So another cockpit announcement. Pax are allowed to deplane (seems like the right decision).

30 minutes later ATC tells them they now need to depart in 15 minutes and if they miss that slot the delay could be another 3 hours. Now they can't make that departure because pax are missing and their bags are on the plane.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
I had this happen to a co-worker last week in IAH. We were both in transit from elsewhere, he's taking the evening flight back to YYZ, I need to stay in Houston and am flying back the next day.

His IAH to YYZ announces a ~90 min delay because of runway issues in YYZ, so I decide to have some dinner in the airport with him before I go to the hotel. We're just finishing up our meal and having another drink when all of a sudden he hears a final boarding call for his previously ~90 min delayed flight that was now only ~45 mins delayed. He dropped everything (and stuck me with the bill!) and sprinted to the gate to make it.

I hate rolling delays as much as the next person, but if they cannot accurately determine the delay time then it is better than this mess.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:39 pm

Airports accept a given number of planes/hr. based on runway availability, runway configuration, weather, staffing and other factors.

These factors are dynamic.

Also dynamic is the demand.
Your one hour flight gets a 2 hour delay based on anticipated demand.
A flight from 2 hours away breaks down. That frees up a slot for another a/c. Hurry up and get back to the gate, we're leaving.

I've seen delays shortened or lengthened for a variety of airports.
It's not just AC and/or YYZ.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Rundosrun
Another day, another series of flights in YOW that were held due to a ground stop for 3+ hours. Deplane everyone, then re-board. Fun times for those that fly back and forth a lot.
This has been pretty much SOP for the late afternoon early evening YUL-YYZ flights as well. 😕 Not 3+ hours mind you, but it has been pretty much impossible to give a regular landing time at YYZ for dinner plans.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:23 am

Just to note that yesterday the last 4 from YYZ to YXU were cancelled. Hopefully not again today.

i'm now booking multi-cities and not booking YXU to YYZ on the outbound. If delayed at YYZ on the inbound, I take the shuttle-bus on short-notice.

Last edited by johnston21; Apr 20, 2017 at 5:32 am
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:16 am

AC is pulling the same stunts with YXU today. Both the 18:05 & 19:30 from YYZ cancelled. Got to wonder if they will cancel the 22:55 as well...

Anyway, not wanting to wait till 22:55, grabbed a shuttle-bus ticket instead.

Last edited by johnston21; Apr 20, 2017 at 10:15 am
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
We're just finishing up our meal and having another drink when all of a sudden he hears a final boarding call for his previously ~90 min delayed flight that was now only ~45 mins delayed. He dropped everything (and stuck me with the bill!) and sprinted to the gate to make it. .
How certain are you that your conniving coworker didn't set up a bogus PA announcement?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by johnston21
AC is pulling the same stunts with YXU today. Both the 18:05 & 19:30 from YYZ cancelled. Got to wonder if they will cancel the 23:30 as well...

Anyway, not wanting to wait till 23:30, grabbed a shuttle-bus ticket instead.
Stunts? You do realize it's not actually AC that's doing the runway construction, right? AC is at the mercy of the GTAA and ATC.

The impact on AC is relatively minor. Other operators (and FBOs) at YYZ are suffering huge financial losses over this.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: AC 35k
AC is pulling the same stunts with YXU today. Both the 18:05 & 19:30 from YYZ cancelled. Got to wonder if they will cancel the 23:30 as well...

Anyway, not wanting to wait till 23:30, grabbed a shuttle-bus ticket instead.
Are they at least running all Q400s to maximize the seats allowed into YYZ?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:48 am
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
Just to note that yesterday the last 4 from YYZ to YXU were cancelled. Hopefully not again today.

i'm now booking multi-cities and not booking YXU to YYZ on the outbound. If delayed at YYZ on the inbound, I take the shuttle-bus on short-notice.
Another option (that I am now using every week) is to make one-way rental car bookings from YYZ - if booked ahead of time, the drop fees are not unreasonable. The total cost is about double RobertQ, but you leave when you want and don't need to worry about there being no seats.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by SYM
Another option (that I am now using every week) is to make one-way rental car bookings from YYZ - if booked ahead of time, the drop fees are not unreasonable. The total cost is about double RobertQ, but you leave when you want and don't need to worry about there being no seats.
Why not book on my way and have AC cover it?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Are they at least running all Q400s to maximize the seats allowed into YYZ?
YSB flights have been Dash 300 and 400 this week.
YSB/YYZ is not a reliable service these days.

WestJet looks to add two more daily roundtrips starting mid May
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:08 am
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Why not book on my way and have AC cover it?
Could do, I guess. But the savings from not booking the YXU-YYZ leg more than make up the cost of the rental anyways, and reduces uncertainty. I'm SE, so OMW is less added value than for those who can't access concierges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.