Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"I expect a seat": Yukon woman buys Air Canada ticket, gets put on standby

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"I expect a seat": Yukon woman buys Air Canada ticket, gets put on standby

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by canopus27
The flight in question was not oversold, and although the location of her seat was not guaranteed, a seat was available. Exactly as you wished for.
That wasn't the way it was presented to the passenger though. She was told she might have to overnight in YVR, which means IDB, not a seat is available.

If the passenger had been assured there was a seat available none of this would have made it to the media.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
I'm not sure what else Air Canada needs to do to prevent this from being a news story every quarter.

They send an email at T-24 to request you complete online check in. Should there be a bold banner that indicates the consequences if a passenger does not? What else needs to be done?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
We don't know what conversations happened between issuance of the GTE BP and the statement to the effect of "you might need to overnight in YVR". It could have been all kinds of escalating shades of belligerent, culminating in the "you might need to overnight in YVR" as an exasperated holding statement, e.g., "what does GTE mean, and why is my bag tagged like that?", "you don't have an assigned seat yet", "why not? I paid for my ticket", "yes, but we don't know where you will sit yet", "but I demand a seat because I paid! Why don't you assign me a seat rightthisminute " etc. etc.
While a lot of flyers fly occasionally to see grandma and don't know a lot of the ins and outs, this story has overtones of entitlement "I expect a seat" and so forth.
As ham-handed as AC can be, I am willing to reserve potential sympathy for the AC agent who could easily have been goaded into presenting the worst case outcome in response to whiny persistent badgering.
We just don't have and never will have a full and balanced account, nor do we have any more need to know beyond prurient interest.
As I posted earlier, I think the greatest blame goes to CBC for running a non-story, although if they had taken a different tone, the coverage could have been educational to those who are not aware of the practice of strategic overselling and the relationship between fare class and IDB.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by canopus27

Instead, they took the easy way out, and wrote a story that will cause even more people to worry unnecessarily in the future.

And that, I have a problem with.
What many Canadians have a problem with, is AC's wanton disregard to macro events that unravel in the media, which they can plausibly relate to, from their own micro experiences with AC. That, executive compensation (for the gold diggers), is not being properly aligned on social responsibility issues, nor being properly held account to the citizenry they purport to serve. Flying has gotten increasing complicated, and unless you are a OPM McGill treasurer on you're way to YBW for a economics retreat, you probably can't afford to keep up.

If Calin et co. had their compensation weighted more equally to creating positive press/externalities, as opposed to outdated, shallow econometrics, things would be a lot different. And likely for the better. No one, gets up in the morning and says ''I hate big organizations'', it always begins with kindling, then friction, then a spark culminating into a full on, five alarm fire. Most people don't actually expect everything to go perfect, but they do expect, when things don't go well, that a proper response/action plan is created. Telling someone ''you may have to sleep at the airport'' (even better if its accompanied with a sadist grin) is pouring gasoline on someone already playing with a flint starter, in a pine beetled forest.

You do not go to a restaurant expected to be a professional food inspector on what is safe, in a civilized city this is a given. You do not (or should not) have to have a degree in biochemistry to determine if the toy you are buying for a child, is actually safe. You therefore should not require a degree in political science or medieval studies, to meander/decipher AC's arcane rules and play negotiation jujitsu at critical choke/stress points when one is especially vulneralbe .

The story on its on is not that powerful, she ended getting a seat and getting to her destination more/less according to plan. Many on here take a silo case by case analysis on how AC should be judged. That may work well in a court of law, but not in the court of public opinion, where this adds to the cumulative brand degradation. And thats what AC should be worried about.

Just imagine, if AC made it a goal to have no negative new stories in the major media outlet for a whole 12 months. How much better it would become, with that type of process improvement. Instead of just relying on BIS/capacity discipline and other non-aspirational metrics.

Last edited by kwflyer; Apr 5, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by kwflyer
You do not go to a restaurant expected to be a professional food inspector on what is safe, in a civilized city this is a given. You do not (or should not) have to have a degree in biochemistry to determine if the toy you are buying for a child, is actually safe. You therefore should not require a degree in political science or medieval studies, to meander/decipher AC's arcane rules and play negotiation jujitsu at critical choke/stress points when one is especially vulneralbe.
Oh the hyperbole!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I'm not sure what else Air Canada needs to do to prevent this from being a news story every quarter.

They send an email at T-24 to request you complete online check in. Should there be a bold banner that indicates the consequences if a passenger does not? What else needs to be done?
They may send it but we all know this check in now email often doesn't arrive. I've had many flight in the last year where it didn't show up.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You're basically arguing against overselling thougwh, which is an entirely different discussion.
Yes, but this situation is related as overselling is what usually creates this problem. When one checks-in online or at the airport, a seat number should be assigned. Why create unnecessary stress for passengers, especially those with connecting flights?

Perhaps a section can be added as part of the booking process as to whether one would be willing to be bumped. This could also help the airline to determine how many seats could potentially be oversold.

In this situation, based on the info presented to her, the passenger felt that there was a chance that she could be bumped. If this wasn't true, then perhaps there was some miscommunication involved.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Bartolo
They may send it but we all know this check in now email often doesn't arrive. I've had many flight in the last year where it didn't show up.
Yes, I've had this happen also. Also, perhaps one is not available to check in earlier... e.g .. at a social, perhaps in a location where one can't access the web...etc..
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by znke252
Yes, but this situation is related as overselling is what usually creates this problem. When one checks-in online or at the airport, a seat number should be assigned. Why create unnecessary stress for passengers, especially those with connecting flights?
Due to my status, I do not ever encounter this on AC, but I have booked UA flights in Y when there were no regular seats available, but dozens of E+ seats.

I did not get a seat number.

At check-in, I did not get a seat number.

Some time before boarding, a seat number was assigned.

That being said, it was always explained as "you'll get a seat at the gate".

But then the solution would just require being more clear with the situation. Actually, even lying would have entirely avoided this. "Your seat will be assigned at the gate." Done. No one is really concerned. No article is written. When you have a passenger that immediately runs to CBC, the best option for AC may be to potentially lie (nothing that in this case it would not have been a lie).
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hardyboy
Then some other passenger would have had this traumatic experience, lol
No. As far as we know, there was no one on the flight who was denied boarding.

If everyone without a seat assignment was simply told that they would get their seat assignment at the gate, that would have been the end of it.

In GENERAL, telling someone to avoid this by checking in early just deflects this to someone else. But then that's an argument about overselling, and not really related to this situation.

The issue here is that someone made the passenger believe that she was on standby.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:41 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by smallmj
Not everybody is able to do OLCI. My wife's parents happily live without a computer and wouldn't know how to OLCI if given the opportunity.
I've been on flights recently where I get prompted to do an on-line check in 20+ minutes after the flight has already departed.

Not T-24.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
Originally Posted by Low Roller
Maybe CBC should actually include tips in these articles to help infrequent flyers, such as the importance of doing OLCI, instead of fear-mongering about the horrors that could have happened to this poor person if things hadn't all worked out ok.
Indeed!!!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin

Transparency would be a first step. The airline does not warn passengers at risk that they are at risk. It is doubtful that AC will willingly provide such a warning. Therefore, the federal government must compel the action through legislation much as the government compelled Air Canada to honestly declare its airfares.

Air Canada should warn purchasers of Tango class airfares, that they are at risk of being denied passage. And more importantly, warn that if the customer needs an assured passage, the customer must purchase a more expensive fare. NOWHERE, absolutely nowhere does Air Canada make this disclosure in an open, comprehensible manner during the purchase process. At no point does the company warn the purchasers of airfare classes lowest in the priority hierarchy that they are most likely to be denied boarding and to perhaps be stranded somewhere. I believe that the airline does not wish to tell customers this detail because then the house of cards the airline has built with it's "low" airfare would collapse.

There are obviously a number of sales and service personnel on this thread who subscribe to this sleight of hand sales strategy and who do not appreciate the need and moral obligation to inform a client. The buyer beware caveat can only be used as an excuse up to a certain point. It's why some people are not stuck
stuck flying tens of thousands of kilometers each year, trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Due to my status, I do not ever encounter this on AC, but I have booked UA flights in Y when there were no regular seats available, but dozens of E+ seats.

I did not get a seat number.

At check-in, I did not get a seat number.

Some time before boarding, a seat number was assigned.
Some of us are truly unlucky, repeatedly. This does not sound like the UA I regularly fly. In the same scenarios in which supply of seats exceeds demand to sit in them, I always received a seat assignment at OLCI (latest), even without status.

Actually, even lying would have entirely avoided this. "Your seat will be assigned at the gate." Done. No one is really concerned. No article is written. When you have a passenger that immediately runs to CBC, the best option for AC may be to potentially lie.
There is no situation in which a large corporation should lie. This will only exacerbate any conflict and create larger, more enduring PR difficulties while eroding any shred of trust that may remain in peoples' eyes.

Lying to obscure a difficult message is a piss-poor suggestion - even if telling your kids that Fluffy has gone to live on a farm, and sorry, no you can't visit her.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Transparency would be a first step. The airline does not warn passengers at risk that they are at risk. It is doubtful that AC will willingly provide such a warning. Therefore, the federal government must compel the action through legislation much as the government compelled Air Canada to honestly declare its airfares.

Air Canada should warn purchasers of Tango class airfares, that they are at risk of being denied passage. And more importantly, warn that if the customer needs an assured passage, the customer must purchase a more expensive fare. NOWHERE, absolutely nowhere does Air Canada make this disclosure in an open, comprehensible manner during the purchase process. At no point does the company warn the purchasers of airfare classes lowest in the priority hierarchy that they are most likely to be denied boarding and to perhaps be stranded somewhere. I believe that the airline does not wish to tell customers this detail because then the house of cards the airline has built with it's "low" airfare would collapse.

There are obviously a number of sales and service personnel on this thread who subscribe to this sleight of hand sales strategy and who do not appreciate the need and moral obligation to inform a client. The buyer beware caveat can only be used as an excuse up to a certain point. It's why some people are not stuck
stuck flying tens of thousands of kilometers each year, trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Looking at a recent AC ticket confirmation:

11. Overbooking notice
Airline flights may be overbooked, and there is a slight chance that a seat will not be available on a flight for which a person has a confirmed reservation. If the flight is overbooked, no one will be denied a seat until airline personnel first ask for volunteers willing to give up their reservation in exchange for a payment of the airline's choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, the airline will deny boarding to other persons in accordance with its particular boarding priority. With few exceptions, persons denied boarding involuntarily are entitled to compensation. The complete rules for the payment of compensation and boarding priorities are available at all airport ticket counters and boarding locations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.