Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"I expect a seat": Yukon woman buys Air Canada ticket, gets put on standby

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"I expect a seat": Yukon woman buys Air Canada ticket, gets put on standby

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Of course you get none of these links to the tariff conditions of you use an OTA, such as Expedia. You don't even get a choice of fare class of the ability to select a seat.

Everyone here is assuming she bought it on aircanada.com, which may or may not be the case, likely not.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Visually impaired? I wear reading glasses. It is a age thing. I guess in time, you will find out yourself. Let's get your facts correct, YOU ARE NOT VISUALLY IMPAIRED IF YOU WEAR READING GLASSES, period.

Falsely accusing? Watching the hockey game last night, I reread a lot of your post. Maybe you should too. You love big brother. Your solution for a lot of things on FT regarding AC/flying is more and more government regulation.

With regards to AC unethical business practises on font size. Reading conditions of other products, AC font size is actually larger than most. Thank god you didn't travel in the old ticket days, because the font size on conditions were a lot smaller. BTW, my LH/CX tickets have the same font size as AC, so do these airlines also have unethical business practises? It maybe time for you to start thinking in a more practical way over your very theoretical way's. Life does not read like a text book at school.
Again, you are wrong. Unless you are wearing eyeglasses as a fashion statement, the eyeglasses are used to correct a vision deficiency. One is most definitely visually impaired if one requires eyeglasses. How can you argue against such an evident truth? Your logic would hold that people who require a hearing aid do not have an auditory deficit.

I don't care if Air Canada's font is bigger than the flim flam time share salesman from Boca Cacao. There are appropriate font styles and sizes that should be used if one wants a reader to both read and comprehend a document. If Walmart and Costco can issue their legal documents in a font of 11, Air Canada can too. The issue here isn't the font size alone. It's the operational strategy employed by the company. Whats the point of referring to tickets from 25 years ago? Air Canada didn't have a strategy of overselling and bumping pax then did it? Nor did it even reference the practice.

BTW, still silent on Air Canada's refusal to voluntarily implement transparent pricing and yet still harping on the claim I am in favour of big government.
You keep digging the hole you are in deeper. Please continue as you are only supporting my position.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: TK *G
If AC or any other airlines want to be truly "ethical", I suggest letting customers take a quiz about the entire tariff and then allow them to purchase.

I see two options from the CBC article and the discussion here. One is to let government steps in to force airlines be "ethical". The second one is to get familiar with the rules yourself to reduce the potential frustration. In the mean time I think the second option is more cost effective for me and many others.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
(...) time share salesman from Boca Cacao.
A friend of mine actually had a time share there, but he stopped going when the weekly AC mainline flight converted to ACr.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:28 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Of course you get none of these links to the tariff conditions of you use an OTA, such as Expedia. You don't even get a choice of fare class of the ability to select a seat.

Everyone here is assuming she bought it on aircanada.com, which may or may not be the case, likely not.
Then that's on Expedia/Priceline/etc.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Again, you are wrong. Unless you are wearing eyeglasses as a fashion statement, the eyeglasses are used to correct a vision deficiency. One is most definitely visually impaired if one requires eyeglasses. How can you argue against such an evident truth? Your logic would hold that people who require a hearing aid do not have an auditory deficit.
This is an arguable point. An impairment refers to a reduction in functionality, but if vision can be restored to normal, the person is no longer impaired. Certainly, the standard definitions of visual impairment and blindness allow for optical correction. For example, a person is considered legally blind if their vision is less than 20/200 while wearing corrective lenses. That's not being able to read the E at the top of the chart.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
It's the operational strategy employed by the company. Whats the point of referring to tickets from 25 years ago? Air Canada didn't have a strategy of overselling and bumping pax then did it? Nor did it even reference the practice.
What are you talking about. Airlines have been overselling flight forever. In fact, I would say, overselling has gotten better(less) over the years. Better system allows airlines to control seat inventory better.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In fact, I would say, overselling has gotten better(less) over the years.
Because governments have forced them to increase compensation, making the practice more expensive to them.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Academic
This is an arguable point. An impairment refers to a reduction in functionality, but if vision can be restored to normal, the person is no longer impaired. Certainly, the standard definitions of visual impairment and blindness allow for optical correction. For example, a person is considered legally blind if their vision is less than 20/200 while wearing corrective lenses. That's not being able to read the E at the top of the chart.
Actually, the current World Health Organization International Classification of Functioning no longer uses either term "impairment" or "disability". However, in the former terminology, an "impairment" IS a body function or structure that is missing or limited. This includes impaired visual acuity. If the person is able to perform activities in the typical way, with the use of tools available to them such as corrective lenses, they have no "disability", but they do have an "impairment". (In comparison, the 20/200 person might need a screenreader to digest print information, and therefore cannot read in the typical way, thus blindness is a disability whereas mild myopia is not.)
An impairment pertains to the body function or structure, and NOT to the person. That is why people with disabilities who participate in the disability civil rights discussions prefer not to be labelled with the "impaired" word. We are not impaired. Just a body part is.
</ pedantry>
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:47 pm

What are you talking about. Airlines have been overselling flight forever. In fact, I would say, overselling has gotten better(less) over the years. Better system allows airlines to control seat inventory better.
That hole you are digging just gets deeper and deeper.
Yes, overselling occurs. Your argument is based on the erroneous assertion that the practice is identical for all airlines. It is not.

Let's compare the business strategies of the two major Canadian airlines; West Jet and Air Canada.
As a business practice, Air Canada INTENTIONALLY oversells.
As a business practice, West Jet DOES NOT intentionally oversell.

Do you see the difference? Of course you do, but if you didn't pretend that all overbooking events were the same, your argument would crumble, disintegrate, and would be dust in the wind.

The claim that overselling has "gotten better", is spurious because you can not substantiate that claim in respect to Air Canada's practice. There are only two known and corroborated facts; Air Canada has stated that that it maximizes load factor by intentionally overselling. West Jet has stated that it does engage in a similar strategy. Air Canada refuses to release the routes the overselling strategy is most prevalent on or what it's frequency of overselling for flights is.
The take away, is that at the very least, if the numbers were not significant, Air Canada would have quickly said that overselling only existed on a small number of flights.

And I noticed that you have still not acknowledged that it was government intervention that compelled Air Canada to provide full fare disclosure. Had it not been for such intervention Air Canada probably would still be advertising flights for $199 that magically became $499 only once the final payment was ready to be made.

And as a reminder, the man that so many people hate on this forum, Dr. Gabor Lukacs, was instrumental in the CTA imposition of increased compensation for pax denied boarding. Until the intervention, Air Canada was self regulating and had assured the CTA and public that it had taken care of customers. As that decision showed, and the pivotal ruling against West Jet in 2013, Canadian airlines were not properly caring for or compensating the passengers who had been denied boarding.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
The other inconvenience with the time-share in Boca Cacao was the difficulty with return flights to YQB. It was always tough getting back same day. Most of the time, an overnight at YYZ was required. My friend found those early next-day morning flights were quite tiring so he pulled out of Boca Cacao altogether.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by mapleg
I bought a ticket for a Go Train to Toronto.

Train did not come. Had to rush home, get car, drive downtown, arrived late. Was quite angry about it.

Did not call CBC to do a feature report on my travails.
I'm not convinced it is in Canada's national interest to consider driving equivalent to flying for typical citizens when talking about distances such as YYZ-YVR-YXY.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I'm not convinced it is in Canada's national interest to consider driving equivalent to flying for typical citizens when talking about distances such as YYZ-YVR-YXY.
LOL. Succinct illustration of the concept of public interest. Lesson learned.

It is also public interest that has protected Air Canada from the increased flight activity of premium airlines such as Etihad, Emirates and Qatar.
Funny though, that Air Canada had no hesitation in asking for protection from the aforementioned airlines.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
That depends what you mean by "better". 25 years ago the overselling was so rampant that I could get vouchers for almost any of my regular flights. Now it's more of a rare occurrence. I miss getting those.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
That depends what you mean by "better". 25 years ago the overselling was so rampant that I could get vouchers for almost any of my regular flights. Now it's more of a rare occurrence. I miss getting those.
That's what I was talking about. The only problem, Transpacificflyer didn't get or understand it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.