Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"I expect a seat": Yukon woman buys Air Canada ticket, gets put on standby

Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...ndby-1.4053954

"A Whitehorse-area woman says she'll avoid flying on Air Canada in the future, after being put on standby for a flight she had bought a ticket for, months before."

"Washburn-Hayden said she was ultimately given a seat after the boarding process began, but she's not impressed."

"She said she has filed a complaint, and was told it will take 25 days to receive a response."
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
She got a seat.

Why is this news?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Because CBC readers are a bunch of AC hating sheep, and will lap up any AC bashing they can find. I can hardly wait until uber genius, and all around saviour of the common folk, Gabor comes swooping to the rescue.

I 100% support her decision to not travel on AC from now on, and would encourage anyone else who reads this article and goes "what the heck!?!" to do the same. Fly WestJet early, often and always.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Article says twice that she paid "full price", are we to interpret this as a full Y fare?

I would be extremely unimpressed if I purchased full Y and got (almost) bumped.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Article says twice that she paid "full price", are we to interpret this as a full Y fare?

I highly doubt it. Full price as in I didn't buy this on eBay...
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eigenvector

No, when a passenger says "full price" (or even "full fare" most of the time), they mean they bought a ticket on AC.com at the advertised price, without using any discount codes.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
AC's response that the customer didn't pay for advance seat selection likely means Tango fare. Not sure I see why this is a news story (other than CBC's love of attacking AC). The likely plays out at every airport every single day (with every single airline that charges for seat selection).
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
A couple of things

1. AC FTers and most FFs know the difference between fare classes on AC and use the various descriptors like Y, B, Latitude, Tango etc.

She said she paid "regular" fare. That means nothing to those who know it seems from the article that she did not know exactly what she bought or perhaps did not understand the rules.

2. If she bought a ticket that would get a seat assignment at the gate, isn't that when GTE appears on the BP?

If she had GTE, then perhaps she bought a Tango fare ticket.

3. She also said "I paid full price and I paid for a seat, so why don't I get one?" she said."

So, maybe she bought a Latitude fare.

4. AC's Angela Mah said "if the airline substitutes a smaller aircraft because of mechanical problems or other operational reasons, passengers will be put on standby."

In a seocnd email, Mah said "flight was "extremely full," but did not say if that meant it was overbooked."

AC Social Media said she "was told that because she didn't pay extra for a guaranteed seat, her getting one was dependent on availability. She was also advised that she should have taken advantage of the online booking available 24 hours before the flight."

So, playing armchair detective, she may have bought a Tango ticket, did not pay for a seat assignment and did not do OLCI. I'm just guessing.

We all know there are many people out there who, for whatever reason, don't understand how to buy tickets, what the rules are, how to board and so on.

We can fix those people. We can help sometimes.

But, if you'd like to remind the CBC that their reporters and writers should ask the right questions (EXACTLY what type of fare ticket did you buy etc), feel free to let our friends at "The Corpse" know.

Here is the list of contacts for CBC North.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...t-us-1.3982681

Have fun and if any of you choose to contact them, please post an update here.

Also, perhaps the upset flier can use some professional booking services you might have to offer.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
No, when a passenger says "full price" (or even "full fare" most of the time), they mean they bought a ticket on AC.com at the advertised price, without using any discount codes.
That makes more sense.

If you read the snippet of what looks like a Twitter DM from Air Canada in the article (side note: CBC, come on, publish the whole conversation), it sounds like some agent gave an erroneous explanation that the pax being put on standby is somehow related to not purchasing an advance seat assignment. But having a reserved seat in no way protects one from being bumped due to overbooking, equipment change, or any other reason that people get bumped from flights, nor does not having one mean you will be first to be bumped.

Pax somehow misinterpreted this to mean that she never had a confirmed reservation in the first place because she didn't pay for seat selection.

Furthermore, if someone checks in at the airport and is given a GTE boarding pass, the check-in agent should highlight the implications of that rather than waiting for an uncle to ask why the luggage has standby tags.

So again, a problem exacerbated by poor communication.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Wow - there was slight confusion at the airport before someone got on the flight she originally booked - I can see why CBC was all over this 'story'
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
OK, someone help me out to make sure I'm understanding this right.

- Pax bought a ticket (whatever fare)
- Pax showed up at the airport
- Pax waited at the gate
- Pax got on the plane
- Pax sat in a seat and departed on time
- Pax arrived on time

This = CBC news story?

Also it says that the pax was downgraded to standby? No they weren't. They just weren't assigned a seat until boarding. Standby is something totally different.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I particularly liked the insightful speculation that "If she had been bumped, she would have missed a connecting flight to Whitehorse and been forced to spend the night in Vancouver." - Imagine the horror of having to spend a night in Vancouver!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
You're all preaching to the converted and those who know.

I posted the link to the CBC contacts. Feel free to let them know and remind them that they could have asked better questions rather than look like idiots who also don't understand how to buy tickets and fly.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:28 pm
formerly airedalemom

Programs: AC 25K, AF, Marriott etc......
All AC flights to & from YXY are almost always overbooked. I learned a loooong time ago to check in online 24hrs beforehand...
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:32 pm
Posting Legend, Moderator, Manufactured Spending

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by airedalemom
I learned a loooong time ago to check in online 24hrs beforehand...
Agree and IIRC in reading this article it indicated the passenger hadn't done OLCI which might've spared her this traumatic experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.