FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "I expect a seat": Yukon woman buys Air Canada ticket, gets put on standby
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:43 am
Transpacificflyer

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Dusit
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I'm not sure what else Air Canada needs to do to prevent this from being a news story every quarter.

They send an email at T-24 to request you complete online check in. Should there be a bold banner that indicates the consequences if a passenger does not? What else needs to be done?
Transparency would be a first step. The airline does not warn passengers at risk that they are at risk. It is doubtful that AC will willingly provide such a warning. Therefore, the federal government must compel the action through legislation much as the government compelled Air Canada to honestly declare its airfares.

Air Canada should warn purchasers of Tango class airfares, that they are at risk of being denied passage. And more importantly, warn that if the customer needs an assured passage, the customer must purchase a more expensive fare. NOWHERE, absolutely nowhere does Air Canada make this disclosure in an open, comprehensible manner during the purchase process. At no point does the company warn the purchasers of airfare classes lowest in the priority hierarchy that they are most likely to be denied boarding and to perhaps be stranded somewhere. I believe that the airline does not wish to tell customers this detail because then the house of cards the airline has built with it's "low" airfare would collapse.

There are obviously a number of sales and service personnel on this thread who subscribe to this sleight of hand sales strategy and who do not appreciate the need and moral obligation to inform a client. The buyer beware caveat can only be used as an excuse up to a certain point. It's why some people are not stuck
stuck flying tens of thousands of kilometers each year, trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.