Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Mystery - The Case of the Missing Kit Kats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Mystery - The Case of the Missing Kit Kats

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
Over the past year, I've noticed an increase in a shortage of snacks (the basket items) on some flights (in my case TPACs and transcons). One friend told me his SYD-YVR didn't even have the snack bags.

(I suppose I could have titled this post "I paid $5,000 for this ticket and I want my Kit Kat")

When I asked the crew, the answers were:

"Oh, sorry, it was a catering error."

"There was only one bag on the inbound."

And my personal favorite:

"This is all we got"

I hate to be FWP about this, but seriously, how do you have so many frequent "catering errors" without it really becoming SOP?

I am not convinced they were catering errors so much as accounting is trying to cut back on the little things and the crew is left to apologize and/or, the outbound flight was double-catered for the return, but for some reason, crew opened a snack bag meant for the second flight.
I got my Kit Kat yesterday and I was at the second last row of J on a two J cabin 777.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by expert7700

(public service announcement: Canadian Kit Kat chocolate tastes much different than American Kit Kats...2 different mfr's license the brands. Try the Hershey's USA kind sometime and you won't even want an AC Kit Kat!)
You missed our convo!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28031140

Posts 637 to 648.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 1:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I got my Kit Kat yesterday and I was at the second last row of J on a two J cabin 777.
You mean, you got MY Kit Kat.

Don't mess with me.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by 24left
Over the past year, I've noticed an increase in a shortage of snacks (the basket items) on some flights (in my case TPACs and transcons). One friend told me his SYD-YVR didn't even have the snack bags.

(I suppose I could have titled this post "I paid $5,000 for this ticket and I want my Kit Kat")

When I asked the crew, the answers were:

"Oh, sorry, it was a catering error."

"There was only one bag on the inbound."

And my personal favorite:

"This is all we got"

I hate to be FWP about this, but seriously, how do you have so many frequent "catering errors" without it really becoming SOP?

I am not convinced they were catering errors so much as accounting is trying to cut back on the little things and the crew is left to apologize and/or, the outbound flight was double-catered for the return, but for some reason, crew opened a snack bag meant for the second flight.
I noticed the same as well. The crew mentioned that the basket now come prepackaged and what's in it is all they have. They mentioned that they regularly run out of snacks and they would need an additional basket. On certain aircrafts (789)/routes (TATL) they only have one.

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
All my four HKG segments this year have had snack/fruit baskets. Plus the baskets were replaced once they are eaten down.
Agreed. Fruit baskets were a nice welcome on my recent HKG and DXB flights ^
Old Apr 1, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
May be just me but I am kind of done (bored) with items in the snack basket

A change up would be great-
Smartpop popcorn
Jelly belly
Twizzlers
Bags of cashews
Hummos/crackers

These are a few of my favorite snacks
Old Apr 1, 2017, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wings100
May be just me but I am kind of done (bored) with items in the snack basket

A change up would be great-
Smartpop popcorn
Jelly belly
Twizzlers
Bags of cashews
Hummos/crackers

These are a few of my favorite snacks
In the pre-XM days, for a time period, AC sold snack basket items in J for $2.00 per item. One of the items was Twizzlers.

I also remember the time AC sold blankets and pillows in J.

I think the EnRoute magazine should be sold as a snack basket items too. The paper stock they print on tastes really good.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I think all of the snack items were sent to Rouge. Last month on YVR-KOA, there was no shortage of Kit Kats. My children had 2 each plus chips. The J cabin was full and there were plenty of children (at least 8). That being said, by the time we landed they were all gone. This was more to the fact that on a 6 1/2 flight all you get is breakfast. AC should really serve a second small meal on this flight.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
International Snack baskets are pre-assembled. Same # of Kit Kats, cookies , chips, etc. & the recent ULH flights I've done have had extra bags for replenishment. Hoards of snacks on recent YYZ-SFO-YYZ flights as well.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
International Snack baskets are pre-assembled. Same # of Kit Kats, cookies , chips, etc. & the recent ULH flights I've done have had extra bags for replenishment. Hoards of snacks on recent YYZ-SFO-YYZ flights as well.
Why are you never on my YYZ-SFO-YYZ flights?
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Why are you never on my YYZ-SFO-YYZ flights?
It's only a matter of time....

After Trader Joes, you'd be the next raison d'être.

(It's almost always 737/738)
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:51 pm

It's only a matter of time....

After Trader Joes, you'd be the next raison d'être.

(It's almost always 737/738)
737 would be a very strange flight for me to take. Maybe if I ever VDB on 759 on a Sunday night.

738 is more common, but generally only when I'm going to YYZ for an extended period. Weekends are generally on 754 on Friday nights (which, by the way, was a 77L last night) and 759 on Sunday nights.

Maybe I'll drop you a PM next time I need to book a flight
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
737 would be a very strange flight for me to take. Maybe if I ever VDB on 759 on a Sunday night.

738 is more common, but generally only when I'm going to YYZ for an extended period. Weekends are generally on 754 on Friday nights (which, by the way, was a 77L last night) and 759 on Sunday nights.

Maybe I'll drop you a PM next time I need to book a flight
Gonna be awk if no diet coke and spice rum on board.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Gonna be awk if no diet coke and spice rum on board.
If you're going to poke fun at me, at least get it right.

It's Coke Zero. Not Diet Coke.

Also, spiced rum is generally not offered for free in J, unless you have an SD who doesn't know the rules, doesn't care about the rules, or feels bad. And they'd have to be confident I'm not going to go write about it on FT the next day
Old Apr 1, 2017, 3:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I know the international snack baskets are pre-wrapped. I've seen the crew remove the plastic wrap.

Still doesn't explain why there have been shortages on AC 15. Maybe AC doesn't consider there are 40J and it's 16 hours and not everyone wants noodles or lime garlic chicken or an orange.

Also, maybe your SFO flights get the right quantities, but AC 792 this past week did not. I don't care if (as posted upthread) the Kit Kat Mafia has taken over, but either crew are hiding bags or catering is not supplying or both.

Since I am not the only one in this thread who has posted about this, supply is clearly not consistent.

just saying...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.