Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
Moderator note: Any questions regarding availability/fare buckets on a specific flight or flights should be posted in the fare bucket check request thread. Any such posts in this thread will be deleted.

Q: When should I use eUpgrades, and when should I use AC Bid?
A: For starters, you can use both of them on a single booking. If one upgrade is accepted, the other is cancelled at no cost to you. One thing to consider is that eUpgrade priority is highly influenced by your Aeroplan Elite status and the fare class of the original ticket, but AC Bid is influenced by your bid as compared to other people. If you don't have a high Aeroplan Elite status, AC Bid may be the better choice for you.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?
A: No.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

Q: When will I find out if my bid was successful?
A: You will be sent an email within 36 to 48 hours prior to your departure.

Q: If I am successfully upgraded, which baggage limit applies?
A: The baggage rules of the upgraded ticket apply. Note that this is different than eUpgrades, where the original tickets baggage rules still apply.

Q: When do I pay for a bid?
A: Your credit card is only charged when the bid is accepted, which will happen no earlier than 48 hours before departure. Note that if your card is declined, even temporarily for a fraud check, you will lose the bid and will not get another opportunity.

Q: Can I cancel an AC Bid?
A: Yes, but only until 48 hours before departure.

Q: If I cancel the booking after successfully bidding for an upgrade, or if I miss the flight, will I get a refund?

Q: If Air Canada rebooks me on another flight, what happens to my AC Bid upgrade?
A: You keep it and Air Canada will put you in the upgraded cabin on the new flight. If the new flight does not have Premium Economy, or if there are not enough Business class seats, then your AC Bid will be refunded.

Q: I have a flight going from XXX to YYY on DD-MM-YY and the minimum bid is $ZZZ - what are my chances / what should I bid?
A: No one here really knows how Plusgrade as implemented by AC really 'decides' which bids to accept.
There are so many potential variables that it's best just to bid what you feel the upgrade is worth to you.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2023, 12:08 pm

Hello Everyone,

I stumbled upon the forum when I got an e-mail to upgrade from AC for my flights this weekend. As someone who doesn't fly all too much, I had no idea what this was all about. Very thankful for all the insight provided in this thread.

I was wondering what the next best course of action is if my bids are rejected. Would I approach the agent at the check in or the gate to inquire about upgrading on the day of travel?
Old Jan 23, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by TwoSix87
Hello Everyone,

I stumbled upon the forum when I got an e-mail to upgrade from AC for my flights this weekend. As someone who doesn't fly all too much, I had no idea what this was all about. Very thankful for all the insight provided in this thread.

I was wondering what the next best course of action is if my bids are rejected. Would I approach the agent at the check in or the gate to inquire about upgrading on the day of travel?
If your bid is rejected, you can always look into the LMU option: Last-Minute Upgrades (LMUs) - information and data points - 2022 onwards
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 3:07 pm

My friend always buy eco class with cash and bid for biz, cause it is cheaper than booking biz directly.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 3:55 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by mikewei
My friend always buy eco class with cash and bid for biz, cause it is cheaper than booking biz directly.
As long as you understand the possibility of ending up in Economy when your bid doesn't clear, fair enough!
Sean Douglas likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA GS & Marriott Titanium
Hi - is it necessary to have a united codeshare flight number (016 stock) changed to an AC flight number in order to participate in the bid program for my AC operated flight? I tried entering my AC booking reference # into the bid website and it gave me the error message. The flight is LHR-BOM if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Last edited by ajhun9; Feb 3, 2023 at 11:01 am
Old Feb 3, 2023, 12:02 pm

Programs: air miles
Travelling on AC816 YYZ-VCE Jun 21 in y. Tried to use the bid upgrade program to see what the starting bid would be. However when I enter my info I get an error that my booking is not eligible for bid upgrade. Tried skimming this thread to find what restrictions might preclude me from the bid upgrade program, but can't find anything. I paid partially with AC gift card and partially with CC.

The only tool I have at my disposal is cowtool which shows 9+ seats available in J and 6 seats in PY. What might I be missing?
Old Feb 6, 2023, 5:08 pm

Data point: approved bid AC 306 YVR-YUL 48 hours out, PY to J, for $290 (was the minimum bid amount)
Old Feb 13, 2023, 12:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Altitude 50K
Bid upgrade from Premium econo to business

Hi, anyone here had any experience with a successful bid upgrade to business from Premium Econ for YUL--> CUN?
Old Feb 28, 2023, 1:36 pm

Smile Upgrade Bid Question - YYZ-LAX

My wife and I fly infrequently but have found the info on this forum to be valuable. We are booked YYZ-LAX May 11th in Y-comfort on an Airbus321. Wondering about possibly bidding for J and when to submit a bid. The range starts at $700-1100. We presently have good seats (16DE) but think it would be a nice surprise for my wife if we could go business. Also wondering if we do submit a bid, would we have any assurance of being seated together?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Cheers,
Rob
Old Feb 28, 2023, 1:56 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
I assume you are on AC787 at 9AM or 793 at 6:30PM. Any chance you could make AC 785 at 7:30AM work? That's a widebody flight, and for less than the price range you are quoting for an upgrade, you can confirm now in Premium Economy, which would be the same as Business Class on the A321. AC.com shows the PE fare at $826 one-way right now, and with a Comfort fare you can make a no cost change, just pay the fare difference.

If you are stuck with the 6:30, depending on what you paid already, a straight upfare to Business Class might be a better use of funds. That price is showing $1236 at the moment, so depending on what you paid for your Comfort tickets, it might be about the same as the min bid for the upgrade.

If you do decide to stay with the bid upgrade, no guarantee at all that you would be seated together. It's just what seats are left.

Hope this helps. If it was me, I would move to the widebody flight if I could. Business Class on an A321 isn't worth an extra $1500 to me.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: AC 50K
Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
Hope this helps. If it was me, I would move to the widebody flight if I could. Business Class on an A321 isn't worth an extra $1500 to me.
Agreed, PE on widebody is better than J in an A321.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
I assume you are on AC787 at 9AM or 793 at 6:30PM. Any chance you could make AC 785 at 7:30AM work? That's a widebody flight, and for less than the price range you are quoting for an upgrade, you can confirm now in Premium Economy, which would be the same as Business Class on the A321. AC.com shows the PE fare at $826 one-way right now, and with a Comfort fare you can make a no cost change, just pay the fare difference.

If you are stuck with the 6:30, depending on what you paid already, a straight upfare to Business Class might be a better use of funds. That price is showing $1236 at the moment, so depending on what you paid for your Comfort tickets, it might be about the same as the min bid for the upgrade.

If you do decide to stay with the bid upgrade, no guarantee at all that you would be seated together. It's just what seats are left.

Yes - we're on 787. Good idea about looking at 785 though and taking PE. Not crazy about getting to the airport at 04:30 though. Will have to check with the Boss and see what she thinks. Appreciate your suggestion - thank!

Rob
Old Mar 7, 2023, 1:58 pm

SJU-YYZ

SJU-YYZ Bid $240/person (2 people) for 5-hour flight. Accepted at T-48 hours.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 2:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Sean Douglas
Agreed, PE on widebody is better than J in an A321.
I would not say it is better. The seats are comparable (321 J is larger but also older). But J class provides much better soft products.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 2:33 pm

Programs: AC 50K
Originally Posted by rdwaxy
SJU-YYZ Bid $240/person (2 people) for 5-hour flight. Accepted at T-48 hours.
Is that a narrow body Airbus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.