Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
Moderator note: Any questions regarding availability/fare buckets on a specific flight or flights should be posted in the fare bucket check request thread. Any such posts in this thread will be deleted.

Q: When should I use eUpgrades, and when should I use AC Bid?
A: For starters, you can use both of them on a single booking. If one upgrade is accepted, the other is cancelled at no cost to you. One thing to consider is that eUpgrade priority is highly influenced by your Aeroplan Elite status and the fare class of the original ticket, but AC Bid is influenced by your bid as compared to other people. If you don't have a high Aeroplan Elite status, AC Bid may be the better choice for you.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?
A: No.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

Q: When will I find out if my bid was successful?
A: You will be sent an email within 36 to 48 hours prior to your departure.

Q: If I am successfully upgraded, which baggage limit applies?
A: The baggage rules of the upgraded ticket apply. Note that this is different than eUpgrades, where the original tickets baggage rules still apply.

Q: When do I pay for a bid?
A: Your credit card is only charged when the bid is accepted, which will happen no earlier than 48 hours before departure. Note that if your card is declined, even temporarily for a fraud check, you will lose the bid and will not get another opportunity.

Q: Can I cancel an AC Bid?
A: Yes, but only until 48 hours before departure.

Q: If I cancel the booking after successfully bidding for an upgrade, or if I miss the flight, will I get a refund?

Q: If Air Canada rebooks me on another flight, what happens to my AC Bid upgrade?
A: You keep it and Air Canada will put you in the upgraded cabin on the new flight. If the new flight does not have Premium Economy, or if there are not enough Business class seats, then your AC Bid will be refunded.

Q: I have a flight going from XXX to YYY on DD-MM-YY and the minimum bid is $ZZZ - what are my chances / what should I bid?
A: No one here really knows how Plusgrade as implemented by AC really 'decides' which bids to accept.
There are so many potential variables that it's best just to bid what you feel the upgrade is worth to you.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum
Are bid upgrades entitled to meal/snack?

So this was kind of strange and frustrating.

I bid the minimum ($140) about a week ago for AC244 yesterday (YVR to YEG). It got approved 48 hours out.

The flight was J5 at least a full week prior (when I submitted my bid). It was J1 24 hours out, and one person was upgraded at the gate.

They had, maybe, snacks for 7/14 of us (It was an A320-200).

Am I crazy in thinking this is totally unacceptable? The SD was nice. Nothing against her (I've flown with her at least twice before). She got underloaded. But I feel like if I'm upgraded a full 2 days out I shouldn't be getting nothing but almonds on a 90 minute flight (made worse by sitting an extra hour waiting for de-icing). When I'm upgraded at the gate, at least I know there's a legitimate chance of this occurring. There was also no differentiation as far as rev tickets, eups, bids, etc. The front seats got the snacks until they were gone. I could have put myself in Row 1 but chose not to (my mistake, I guess).

I assume there's no actual recourse here, but wanted to know if this is normal.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So AFAIK they now have a list of "upgrades". But I don't think it differentiates based on type of upgrade, or when the upgrade occurred. So even if she hadn't gone front to back, I don't think it would have helped.

If it was J1 24 hours out, and there were people waitlisted for J, they "would have" catered it full. Which suggests this was just a catering mishap.

You mentioned it was J5 when you submitted your bid, so there were more than 7 people who were confirmed ahead of you, and we have no idea how many of the other 4 people may have bought a ticket. Unfortunately, in that situation, I just don't think you'd "deserve" one of the seven snacks.

But yeah, I'd write in. I'm sure you'll get somewhere between $50-$200 depending on how the agent feels and how much you actually paid for the upgrade.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
I feel in this case they should at least have handed out snacks / meals based on status but they never seem to do this anymore on short routes.

I would write in but I don't think I would expect much. But saying that I flew YOW - YYZ and they forgot to load any alcohol (?). The FA started to tell me they don't serve drinks on this flight

Anyway I ended up with a $100 eCoupon so I am OK with that. You may get the same.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by dr_torch
I feel in this case they should at least have handed out snacks / meals based on status but they never seem to do this anymore on short routes.

I would write in but I don't think I would expect much. But saying that I flew YOW - YYZ and they forgot to load any alcohol (?). The FA started to tell me they don't serve drinks on this flight

Anyway I ended up with a $100 eCoupon so I am OK with that. You may get the same.
Should an upgrade with status have priority over paid J with no status for a shortage? Under the old system, upgrades pre-gate were treated the same as paid J, but if they were short meals and you were upgraded at the gate, it didn't matter if you were SE.

Also grumble grumble for my $50 eCoupon for no meal on SFO-YYZ as SE in paid J.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Does anyone happen to know at what point (X hours before departure) each flight's catering numbers are set?
Old Dec 20, 2022, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Does anyone happen to know at what point (X hours before departure) each flight's catering numbers are set?
Preliminary numbers were sent at 18 last I heard, but at hubs it could be adjusted closer to departure.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 12:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cmill007
So this was kind of strange and frustrating.

I bid the minimum ($140) about a week ago for AC244 yesterday (YVR to YEG). It got approved 48 hours out.

The flight was J5 at least a full week prior (when I submitted my bid). It was J1 24 hours out, and one person was upgraded at the gate.

They had, maybe, snacks for 7/14 of us (It was an A320-200).

Am I crazy in thinking this is totally unacceptable? The SD was nice. Nothing against her (I've flown with her at least twice before). She got underloaded. But I feel like if I'm upgraded a full 2 days out I shouldn't be getting nothing but almonds on a 90 minute flight (made worse by sitting an extra hour waiting for de-icing). When I'm upgraded at the gate, at least I know there's a legitimate chance of this occurring. There was also no differentiation as far as rev tickets, eups, bids, etc. The front seats got the snacks until they were gone. I could have put myself in Row 1 but chose not to (my mistake, I guess).

I assume there's no actual recourse here, but wanted to know if this is normal.
Good news! Wrote in and got a 15% off coupon just now, which was kind of shocking. Well worth missing out on some smoked salmon
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 2:10 am

Just for a couple of recent data points:
Bid upgrade for a flight that was J4 at T-52 but dropped to J1 at T-45. My bid was rejected at T-36.
Bid upgrade for a flight that was J0 was not surprisingly rejected at T-36.
TechnoTourist likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 8:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Do bid-upgrades earn 3x AP points when an AP premium CC is used?

The wording is "Earn 3 points for every $1 of eligible purchases made directly with Air Canada" so I would assume yes. I wanted to see if anyone else could confirm.

Last edited by JayTakesOff; Jan 4, 2023 at 8:57 am Reason: wording
Old Jan 4, 2023, 9:08 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by JayTakesOff
Do bid-upgrades earn 3x AP points when an AP premium CC is used?

The wording is "Earn 3 points for every $1 of eligible purchases made directly with Air Canada" so I would assume yes. I wanted to see if anyone else could confirm.
They come through as ac.com and got the AC multiplier on my CIBC VIP card.
JayTakesOff likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 3:00 pm

Help with AC bid vs. eUpgrade

Hello, can someone please help me check upgrade availability for business class?

My partner and I are booked on a flight Montreal to Tokyo on AC5 for Jan 7, booked with reward points for premium economy. I have the option of putting in an AC bid or try to use eUpgrade credits. I’m 25K status and currently have 25 credits- the eUp is asking for 34 credits (so I can put in 25 credits and add $400).

The AC bid minimum is $850 and max is $1800.

What will be considered first, AC bid or upgrade bid?

how do I increase my upgrade chances?

many thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2023, 3:30 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by dianapx2014
Hello, can someone please help me check upgrade availability for business class?

My partner and I are booked on a flight Montreal to Tokyo on AC5 for Jan 7, booked with reward points for premium economy. I have the option of putting in an AC bid or try to use eUpgrade credits. I’m 25K status and currently have 25 credits- the eUp is asking for 34 credits (so I can put in 25 credits and add $400).

many thanks!
Since the flight is currently J6 C5 D5 Z5 P3 R0, odds are that your e-upgrade request won't factor in until the gate. As a 25K, I would not get your hopes up for a J seat.

So, the bid upgrade would likely be evaluated first, at (in theory) 72ish hours before the flight. With regards to your odds and/or increasing your chances, the upgrade bid process is a bit mysterious, as enumerated in the wiki for this thread.

And there is a possibility that you could be offered an LMU (last minute upgrade) on check-in too.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 3:54 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE

many thanks!
With this being your first post welcome to FlyerTalk!

As Bohemian said above, I would not get your hopes up as a 25k to get eUped into J. If you want to sit in J, then putting in a bid amount for the seat will be considered over any eUp requests. You are in PY so you will be ahead of everyone in regular Y but someone with higher status might be in your cabin so hard to tell where you will be on the list. Best of luck and have a good trip!
Old Jan 4, 2023, 4:08 pm

I’m 25K status and currently have 25 credits- the eUp is asking for 34 credits (so I can put in 25 credits and add $400).
No, it's asking for 34 credits plus $400. You can't do an eUpgrade.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
With this being your first post welcome to FlyerTalk!

As Bohemian said above, I would not get your hopes up as a 25k to get eUped into J. If you want to sit in J, then putting in a bid amount for the seat will be considered over any eUp requests. You are in PY so you will be ahead of everyone in regular Y but someone with higher status might be in your cabin so hard to tell where you will be on the list. Best of luck and have a good trip!
Thank you both for the advice and warm welcome!

Does J mean full price business class tickets?

In this case, do you think I should do both- place an AC bid AND an eupgrade request? I’m a little confused as to which will clear first. It says on the website that 25k status for international flights clears 3 days before flight, while AC bid results come out T-48 hours before the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.