Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
Moderator note: Any questions regarding availability/fare buckets on a specific flight or flights should be posted in the fare bucket check request thread. Any such posts in this thread will be deleted.

Q: When should I use eUpgrades, and when should I use AC Bid?
A: For starters, you can use both of them on a single booking. If one upgrade is accepted, the other is cancelled at no cost to you. One thing to consider is that eUpgrade priority is highly influenced by your Aeroplan Elite status and the fare class of the original ticket, but AC Bid is influenced by your bid as compared to other people. If you don't have a high Aeroplan Elite status, AC Bid may be the better choice for you.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?
A: No.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

Q: When will I find out if my bid was successful?
A: You will be sent an email within 36 to 48 hours prior to your departure.

Q: If I am successfully upgraded, which baggage limit applies?
A: The baggage rules of the upgraded ticket apply. Note that this is different than eUpgrades, where the original tickets baggage rules still apply.

Q: When do I pay for a bid?
A: Your credit card is only charged when the bid is accepted, which will happen no earlier than 48 hours before departure. Note that if your card is declined, even temporarily for a fraud check, you will lose the bid and will not get another opportunity.

Q: Can I cancel an AC Bid?
A: Yes, but only until 48 hours before departure.

Q: If I cancel the booking after successfully bidding for an upgrade, or if I miss the flight, will I get a refund?

Q: If Air Canada rebooks me on another flight, what happens to my AC Bid upgrade?
A: You keep it and Air Canada will put you in the upgraded cabin on the new flight. If the new flight does not have Premium Economy, or if there are not enough Business class seats, then your AC Bid will be refunded.

Q: I have a flight going from XXX to YYY on DD-MM-YY and the minimum bid is $ZZZ - what are my chances / what should I bid?
A: No one here really knows how Plusgrade as implemented by AC really 'decides' which bids to accept.
There are so many potential variables that it's best just to bid what you feel the upgrade is worth to you.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2022, 7:49 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by tracon
Looks like a redeye premium to get a pd?

YVR-YYZ red eye Flex>J.
$450-$1000

YYZ-YVR
$370-$920

Flex>PY
$270-$700 each way.

YYZ-YYG(Rouge)
$180-$600 each way.
the red eyes actually are quite full/popular during the summer peak months as a lot of people use them as feeder to other destinations. especially transboarder flights that get you into NYC/LAX earlier. I've seen redeye YVR-YYZ full in J, R0 T-14 before on a Saturday.

$370/$450 isn't too bad for transcon at min bids and I'd probably go for them if they were pod.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 4:06 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Any idea what YYZ-YYJ bids for "premium rouge" are going for these days ?
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:32 pm

Is it normal that it’s now closer to 40 hrs before my flight and my bid hasn’t been accepted or rejected yet?
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jenny932
Is it normal that it’s now closer to 40 hrs before my flight and my bid hasn’t been accepted or rejected yet?
PM me your flight number and I can see what J space is left for your flight...

If you're accepted -- I find the email comes fairly quickly.
If it takes a while --- it usually means the flight is full or almost full in J and you will get rejected.

I usually just check J space T-48 to see what the chances are for the bid upgrade clearing or receiving an LMU at check in.

This has just been my experience so it may not be consistent with other members.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by SKYEG
PM me your flight number and I can see what J space is left for your flight...

If you're accepted -- I find the email comes fairly quickly.
If it takes a while --- it usually means the flight is full or almost full in J and you will get rejected.

I usually just check J space T-48 to see what the chances are for the bid upgrade clearing or receiving an LMU at check in.

This has just been my experience so it may not be consistent with other members.

Thank you! Sent a message. I had a feeling it couldn’t be good news if it wasn’t right away.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 2:04 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Does it work with tickets which are not on AC ticket stock, but with AC flights and AC flight numbers?
Old Jun 18, 2022, 4:46 pm

Hello, I am new to Flyer Talk forum and looking for some expert advice. I bought a Flex fare for YYZ to DEL on AC42 flying on 26th June. Submitted eUP for PE which is pending.

Spoke to AC today and they said they only have 3 seats left in PE so might be difficult to clear. Since I am only 25K status thinking eUP might not get cleared. I got an option to do Bid Upgrade to Business Class with below options:

Bid Upgrade Range from - $615 to $1385 USD
And Instant upgrade being offered at $1385 USD

Not sure if flight is truly full and the chances of bid upgrade success. I have never done a bid upgrade before . Appreciate your help with the recommendations. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by ABL2T
Hello, I am new to Flyer Talk forum and looking for some expert advice. I bought a Flex fare for YYZ to DEL on AC42 flying on 26th June. Submitted eUP for PE which is pending.

Spoke to AC today and they said they only have 3 seats left in PE so might be difficult to clear. Since I am only 25K status thinking eUP might not get cleared. I got an option to do Bid Upgrade to Business Class with below options:

Bid Upgrade Range from - $615 to $1385 USD
And Instant upgrade being offered at $1385 USD

Not sure if flight is truly full and the chances of bid upgrade success. I have never done a bid upgrade before . Appreciate your help with the recommendations. Thanks in advance.
J6 C6 D6 Z0 P0 R0 O3 E0 A0 N0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 F0

There is 6 seats left in business, 3 in premium economy
Old Jun 18, 2022, 5:43 pm

Thank you SKYEG for sharing the details. Can you clarify if 6 seats each available in J/C/D class or total of 6 seats left in Business across the 3 classes.

Thanks again!!
Old Jun 18, 2022, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by ABL2T
Thank you SKYEG for sharing the details. Can you clarify if 6 seats each available in J/C/D class or total of 6 seats left in Business across the 3 classes.

Thanks again!!
It is 6 business seats available total.

I'd personally say your chances of a bid upgrade or the upgrade to premium economy is pretty low because the clearance for elites E upgrading starts at 7 days for super elites (starting tomorrow for your flight). you will then have to wait for 75k, 50k and 35k before clearing your 25k(T-3days before your flight). But there is no e upgrade spaces available for business class right now (R) so bid upgrade may have a chance

But seeing your flight load, there is a ton of empty seats in economy so there may not be elites putting in the upgrade requests.

I'd submit a bid upgrade request for business class which is your best bet at an upgrade. you won't clear e upgrade even with your 3 day timing as of now as there is no N space, which is the e upgrade space for premium economy and will have to wait at the gate. If they release more e upgrade spots for business or premium economy before your flight is unknown but very unlikely. YYZ-DEL at $600-$1000 upgrade to J is actually a really good deal. I've paid $400 for a domestic flight under 4 hours on a bid upgrade and I'd do it again.
kalderlake and ABL2T like this.

Last edited by SKYEG; Jun 18, 2022 at 6:02 pm
Old Jun 18, 2022, 5:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'd easily pay $100/hour for J.

If that's too much for you, bid something less.

I do agree as a 25K it's unlikely to clear into O when there's only 3 seats left 8 days out.
SKYEG, Bohemian1 and ABL2T like this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 6:29 pm

Thank you SKYEG canadiancow I will put in the bid upgrade around $850. Will let you know what happens.

Thanks.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:49 pm

Programs: aeroplan
YYZ to NRT Biz Class seats

Hello, I am a long-time lurker making my first post. I am making my first trip back home (YYZ-SIN) in three years (!) and I was looking to submit a bid for the YYZ-NRT portion of the itinerary. I will be taking AC21 on Sep 2 EST at 1335. I am currently in Premium Economy. I was hoping the amazing brains and kind souls who look up EF, could advice on two things:

1) Is a bid made using cash more likely to succeed than a bid made using points?
2) Would a minimum bid give me decent odds for an upgrade to biz class or should I adjust it? (If it is a helpful data point, I bought a PE low seat.)

Thank you soo much for your help in advance!
Old Jun 26, 2022, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Scherazade
Hello, I am a long-time lurker making my first post. I am making my first trip back home (YYZ-SIN) in three years (!) and I was looking to submit a bid for the YYZ-NRT portion of the itinerary. I will be taking AC21 on Sep 2 EST at 1335. I am currently in Premium Economy. I was hoping the amazing brains and kind souls who look up EF, could advice on two things:

1) Is a bid made using cash more likely to succeed than a bid made using points?
2) Would a minimum bid give me decent odds for an upgrade to biz class or should I adjust it? (If it is a helpful data point, I bought a PE low seat.)

Thank you soo much for your help in advance!
Welcome to FT!

1) It depends how much you bid cash and points but I don't think it would make a significant difference at all.

2) it's impossible to know and even harder to guess as your flight isn't until Sept 2nd... Right now there's a lot of space in J but that can change as the flight gets closer towards your date. The more J space there is, the more likely any bid upgrades will be accepted. Your bid won't be even considered until closer to flight date so I'd just put in minimum and check back 2-3 weeks prior to your flight to see how much space is left in business class. Min bids can get accepted but they tend to not if there isn't much J space remaining. As of now, business class is almost wide open for AC21 YYZ-NRT on Sept 2nd but this can easily change closer to flight date.
Scherazade likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:52 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Welcome to FT!

1) It depends how much you bid cash and points but I don't think it would make a significant difference at all.

2) it's impossible to know and even harder to guess as your flight isn't until Sept 2nd... Right now there's a lot of space in J but that can change as the flight gets closer towards your date. The more J space there is, the more likely any bid upgrades will be accepted. Your bid won't be even considered until closer to flight date so I'd just put in minimum and check back 2-3 weeks prior to your flight to see how much space is left in business class. Min bids can get accepted but they tend to not if there isn't much J space remaining. As of now, business class is almost wide open for AC21 YYZ-NRT on Sept 2nd but this can easily change closer to flight date.
Thank you so much for the warm welcome and for the enlightening advice. I was planning on bidding completely on points but I take your point that that - or a mix of both - may not be as important as the actual bid itself and the available seats closer to the day. I'll do as you suggest and put in a minimum now and will check back in with you kind souls closer to the flight date on what J is looking like.
Thank you again. So glad to get on a plane soon!
SKYEG likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.