Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
Moderator note: Any questions regarding availability/fare buckets on a specific flight or flights should be posted in the fare bucket check request thread. Any such posts in this thread will be deleted.

Q: When should I use eUpgrades, and when should I use AC Bid?
A: For starters, you can use both of them on a single booking. If one upgrade is accepted, the other is cancelled at no cost to you. One thing to consider is that eUpgrade priority is highly influenced by your Aeroplan Elite status and the fare class of the original ticket, but AC Bid is influenced by your bid as compared to other people. If you don't have a high Aeroplan Elite status, AC Bid may be the better choice for you.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?
A: No.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

Q: When will I find out if my bid was successful?
A: You will be sent an email within 36 to 48 hours prior to your departure.

Q: If I am successfully upgraded, which baggage limit applies?
A: The baggage rules of the upgraded ticket apply. Note that this is different than eUpgrades, where the original tickets baggage rules still apply.

Q: When do I pay for a bid?
A: Your credit card is only charged when the bid is accepted, which will happen no earlier than 48 hours before departure. Note that if your card is declined, even temporarily for a fraud check, you will lose the bid and will not get another opportunity.

Q: Can I cancel an AC Bid?
A: Yes, but only until 48 hours before departure.

Q: If I cancel the booking after successfully bidding for an upgrade, or if I miss the flight, will I get a refund?

Q: If Air Canada rebooks me on another flight, what happens to my AC Bid upgrade?
A: You keep it and Air Canada will put you in the upgraded cabin on the new flight. If the new flight does not have Premium Economy, or if there are not enough Business class seats, then your AC Bid will be refunded.

Q: I have a flight going from XXX to YYY on DD-MM-YY and the minimum bid is $ZZZ - what are my chances / what should I bid?
A: No one here really knows how Plusgrade as implemented by AC really 'decides' which bids to accept.
There are so many potential variables that it's best just to bid what you feel the upgrade is worth to you.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I got bunches of miles and points, do I deserve J ?
No!
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:05 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I always find that amusing.

Because the crew never checks your BP
I think they scrawl it all over the BP in case pax raises a stink onboard and starts flashing the BP at crew going "SEE? I'm in Classe Affaires and my Affaires with Foods is important!" or some other silly rant... one look at the "proof" (bp) would neutralize that argument quickly midair.

And, I've actually been denied a meal when this is the case, which is fair enough. It was clearly communicated at the gate, and I (in those cases) was offered the option to keep my blue voucher/coupon thingy. Very professional back then.

Originally Posted by mattbrisbane
Has anyone else seen this before?

Received this email today for an upcoming flight from YVR to YWG via YYC in just over a week.

Gave me options to bid (from $95) for each sector.
AWESOME! Money trumps all! This is how it should be... no more LMU dartboard pricing strategy.

Originally Posted by jaysona
The email was received four days in advance, IIRC.

There will be no ML* anything. This is not an LMU, the upgrade bids will be decided a couple of days before departure. The winning bid(s) should be treated no differently (AFIK) than an e-up clearing more than 24 hours before the flight.
Originally Posted by antirealist
It certainly has the potential to impact the complimentary latitude flight pass upgrades. It wouldn't surprise me if those go away.
Why would this affect compups on FPs? If they "clear" the bid upgrades at T-48h (if this is true) there's no need to eliminate compups. But that's fine, just buy the fares you need when you know you need them. FPs are really just a discount program for bulk buying, a liability easier for AC to measure than say, Altitude.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:44 pm

I also received an e-mail offering me to bid. E-Mail received Dec 1, for YYZ-YUL flight Dec 12

Low bid was $120 up to $250.

I'm in M class, flight pass. Logged in and confirmed an upgrade using 2 credits after receiving the e-mail, without problem. There was still 6 J seats available at time of me confirming my u/g
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:48 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by mjschill
I also received an e-mail offering me to bid. E-Mail received Dec 1, for YYZ-YUL flight Dec 12

Low bid was $120 up to $250.

I'm in M class, flight pass. Logged in and confirmed an upgrade using 2 credits after receiving the e-mail, without problem. There was still 6 J seats available at time of me confirming my u/g
Why would they bother putting a cap...
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jaysona
No!
Colour me surprised.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by yyzborg
Colour me surprised.
Thanks for the confirmed ETag, much appreciated! ^^
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by cooleddie
I'm curious about this too.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I'm curious about this too.
Probably prevents real (or imagined) accidental clicks.

If you can only bid $250, you're not going to have someone claiming "There is no way in hell I would have agreed to pay $2500 for YVR-YYC."
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by antirealist
It certainly has the potential to impact the complimentary latitude flight pass upgrades. It wouldn't surprise me if those go away.
Pretty tough to make that work in a way that doesn't severely annoy the FP holders. Get rid of a benefit that was advertised at time of purchase and is good for up to 15 months? Don't officially torpedo it but introduce bidding in a way that effectively removes the benefit and the smart FP holder is just as miffed. They would pretty much have to wait until T-24 hours to accept bids or there would be heck to pay with some high spend flyers.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
One other thought: I bet they would generate a lot more revenue by applying bidding to preferred seats and PY. My gut says those bids levels are too high for the marginal benefit. Just my feeling.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by cooleddie

It might not make sense from an economic efficiency perspective, but at this stage it is probably being driven by a business case. Bidding on upgrades is a relatively new practice, so passengers would probably want some idea of the range of pricing given that they have no market experience. I expect that eventually the caps would rise or disappear altogether.

This assumes, however, that it remains a single sealed bid option. Is it possible that a day later AC solicits revised bids with higher caps.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by ridefar
One other thought: I bet they would generate a lot more revenue by applying bidding to preferred seats and PY. My gut says those bids levels are too high for the marginal benefit. Just my feeling.
Agreed. Rather than pissing off revenue-generating FFs by messing with eUp or FP upgrades, AC could be gaining revenues on preferred seats or PY seats that would otherwise go to Tangoers for free.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:14 pm

Pretty frustrating experience today. Submit my eupgrade request for a YYZ-YVR flight 10 days from now, and am waitlisted (E50k on a low-flex fare). Not more than 20 minutes later, get an e-mail telling me I can bid for an upgrade on this same flight. The kicker is that none of the text in the e-mail which was supposed to be a link actually worked -- it's purely text. The e-mail also contains a number of typos, including a full sentence that reads only "For the full terms and conditions of AC Bid Upgrade, please ." There is no link to any terms and conditions and the sentence just ends there.

Pretty frustrating to receive this e-mail immediately after trying to use eUpgrades. I get why AC is implementing this -- gotta derive more blood from the stone -- but it just seems pretty crass to send out the e-mail immediately after I submitted my eupgrade request.

Also, I guess this is a data point for anyone wondering how far out they'll send out a bid invite e-mail -- T-10 days here.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: Altitude 75K, LT Marriott Platinum
Example of AC Bid Upgrade from DCA to YOW

As mentioned by others, it appears that the bidding requests are being sent T-10 days. Here is an example of one that I received for a family member travelling from the US back home for the holidays.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by 2078 Miler
...or will it just be who brings the most additional cash to the auction regardless of what fare and status the bidder has?
It certainly will be interesting to see if a person who bids $1 more on a Tango fare beats out the Flex fare bidder who already gave AC hundreds of dollars extra. If so, it will certainly change the way the game is played.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.