FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1801355-air-canada-bid-upgrade-program.html)

yyznomad Oct 5, 2018 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit (Post 30282286)
Success YUL - MCO Rouge flight
Bought a ticket on points in Y, paid for preferred exit row seat.
Bid the lowest, $205 CAD, highest options was $700.
Got an email this morning accepting it, this is three days out from flight.
Preferred seat fee also refunded.

Considering I get lounge access, food and drinks, two free checked bags and zone 2. I would say this is a win.

Good one! Enjoy your trip! ^

canadiancow Oct 5, 2018 11:01 pm

Considering I get lounge access, food and drinks, two free checked bags and zone 2. I would say this is a win.

Zone 1.

Bogwoppit Oct 6, 2018 5:12 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 30284452)
Zone 1.

Even better. Thanks.

aimango Oct 7, 2018 7:35 am

Tried bidding 285usd on a sfo to yyz flight (economy to biz) earlier this Feb which was not accepted. ​​​​​​

Bid successful for 400 cad on a yyz to sfo flight for today (Oct 7) economy to biz. Excited! Range was around 200 to 700.

jc94 Oct 7, 2018 8:01 am

Originally Posted by aimango (Post 30288044)
Tried bidding 285usd on a sfo to yyz flight (economy to biz) earlier this Feb which was not accepted. ​​​​​​

Bid successful for 400 cad on a yyz to sfo flight for today (Oct 7) economy to biz. Excited! Range was around 200 to 700.

Wide body lie flats?

Queen B Oct 11, 2018 6:24 am

I was successful for one out of two bids on award tickets

Bid $400 for yul to yvr - bid not accepted, I did check EF and there were only 3 seats available in J as of yesterday

Bid $150 (lowest offer) for yvr to yxy , both bids were successful , J section is almost empty

jackmeister Oct 11, 2018 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike (Post 30268538)
I've given up. We bid the max both ways on the AC 33/34 from YYZ to SYD. (2 grand from memory). Didn't win either way. Initially the O/B was accepted and we had a warning from VISA (other CCs are available) of a large transaction followed by a second email 30 mins later stating the charge was cancelled.
of course, it goes without saying there were several seats free in both directions. We were in PE and so slummed it, just off the plane more tired, less hungover, more hungry, more stiff etc though the 10 across in Y for a 15 hour flight looked brutal.
Do the third party company take status into account? I've tried for Denver, Halifax and also nowt. I guess the upgrade now feature provides certainty! That said, I skip the upgrade now from YOW to YYZ for a 40 min flight with a (cold) continental breakfast and no booze for $160 on an E190.
I guess my only complaint is the entire process is not transparent, and is a lottery and so the winning formula - if there is one (and it's not random) remains a mystery

Was this per person 2k from PE?
Curious because I have YVR-MEL coming up and put in a less significant bid but it looked pretty good on the little rainbow meter they had on the website.

yyznomad Oct 11, 2018 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Queen B (Post 30303188)
I was successful for one out of two bids on award tickets

Bid $400 for yul to yvr - bid not accepted, I did check EF and there were only 3 seats available in J as of yesterday

Bid $150 (lowest offer) for yvr to yxy , both bids were successful , J section is almost empty

Are you basing this off the seatmaps in EF? Or the actual inventory numbers?

capedreamer Oct 11, 2018 5:21 pm

Question about the relationship (if any) between bid upgrades and instant upgrades.

Per AC.com's FAQs:

If you booked via the Air Canada website, Air Canada mobile website or via Air Canada Reservations and have opted to receive communications from Air Canada, we may invite you via email, 10 days prior to departure, to make an offer. If your flight is eligible for an Instant Upgrade, that option will be included in the email. To make your offer, just follow the directions mentioned in the email.
But as you may know (and the FAQ page points out immediately above that line), one can also go to https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada at any time and submit a bid at any time, with or without the e-mail invitation.

Here's my question: If I go to the plusupgrade.com page and submit my bid before any e-mail invitation and more than 10 days prior to departure, will I still be eligible for an instant upgrade later? Said differently, is AC's IT smart enough to dynamically offer up instant upgrades?

I doubt anyone knows for a fact, but curious to hear about different experiences.

Queen B Oct 11, 2018 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 30304714)
Are you basing this off the seatmaps in EF? Or the actual inventory numbers?

the EF seat map

Bogwoppit Oct 13, 2018 11:44 am

Got the same deal for the return trip. Plane was completely full. No lounge at MCO, but used The Club lounge, which was perfectly fine with Priority Pass.

airportrocket Oct 13, 2018 6:40 pm

what are the chances they accept my lowball bid of $500 for a flight from yvr-yyz on AC126 on a reward ticket?

canadiancow Oct 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by airportrocket (Post 30312524)
what are the chances they accept my lowball bid of $500 for a flight from yvr-yyz on AC126 on a reward ticket?

What are the loads?

airportrocket Oct 13, 2018 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 30312769)
What are the loads?

789 aircraft operating on that flight so far 20/30 seats are occupied, leaving 10 open seats, being a red-eye flight on a Sunday, it doesn't look likely.

yyznomad Oct 13, 2018 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by airportrocket (Post 30312879)
789 aircraft operating on that flight so far 20/30 seats are occupied, leaving 10 open seats, being a red-eye flight on a Sunday, it doesn't look likely.

I don't have access to EF anymore so I looked at the BCD travel tool.

(The seat map is often not a good indicator)

For Sunday, October 14, 2018 on AC126 YVRYYZ it looks to be J0 and open in the back showing O9 and Y9.

Having done this flight often (~50 times) on Sunday nights, J has always been full.