FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1801355-air-canada-bid-upgrade-program.html)

airportrocket Oct 13, 2018 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 30312912)
I don't have access to EF anymore so I looked at the BCD travel tool.

(The seat map is often not a good indicator)

For Sunday, October 14, 2018 on AC126 YVRYYZ it looks to be J0 and open in the back showing O9 and Y9.

Having done this flight often (~50 times) on Sunday nights, J has always been full.

my flight is Oct 28th, oh well I will just bid anyways and try my luck, since I paid next to nothing for my coach ticket anyways.

yyznomad Oct 13, 2018 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by airportrocket (Post 30312963)
my flight is Oct 28th, oh well I will just bid anyways and try my luck, since I paid next to nothing for my coach ticket anyways.

AC126 YVRYYZ 22:55 06:09+1 on October 28, 2018 is currently showing J9 C9 D9 Z8 P7 R2 O9 N9 Y9 G9 so still wide open at this point (two weeks out, so not necessarily a good indicator as of yet)

airportrocket Oct 13, 2018 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 30312986)
AC126 YVRYYZ 22:55 06:09+1 on October 28, 2018 is currently showing J9 C9 D9 Z8 P7 R2 O9 N9 Y9 G9 so still wide open at this point (two weeks out, so not necessarily a good indicator as of yet)

Pardon my ignorance I am new to this kind of stuff, but what do those codes mean?

yyznomad Oct 13, 2018 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by airportrocket (Post 30313005)
Pardon my ignorance I am new to this kind of stuff, but what do those codes mean?

Sorry

J9 C9 D9 Z8 P7 R2 O9 N9 Y9 G9
Basically all it means for now is that business class has at least 9 seats available for sale, and that Premium Economy and Economy look to be pretty wide open.

J C D Z P are the fare classes for Business Class with most expensive to the left and most restrictive to the right.
R is the upgrade inventory
O and N are part of the Premium Economy inventory (O/E/N)
Y and G are part of the Economy inventory (there are many, many more letters in between but I omitted them)

Only one digit can be displayed, so a 9 typically means "at least 9" but when looking at the more restrictive fare classes for a cabin and they also show "9", it tends to mean that it is wide open in that cabin.

What is publicly available to us is what Air Canada intends to sell and does not necessarily reflect how empty or full a flight is, but can be a pretty good indicator, especially over a seatmap (because it is often that people do not select their seats in advance, for various reasons).

airportrocket Oct 14, 2018 6:58 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 30313012)
Sorry

J9 C9 D9 Z8 P7 R2 O9 N9 Y9 G9
Basically all it means for now is that business class has at least 9 seats available for sale, and that Premium Economy and Economy look to be pretty wide open.

J C D Z P are the fare classes for Business Class with most expensive to the left and most restrictive to the right.
R is the upgrade inventory
O and N are part of the Premium Economy inventory (O/E/N)
Y and G are part of the Economy inventory (there are many, many more letters in between but I omitted them)

Only one digit can be displayed, so a 9 typically means "at least 9" but when looking at the more restrictive fare classes for a cabin and they also show "9", it tends to mean that it is wide open in that cabin.

What is publicly available to us is what Air Canada intends to sell and does not necessarily reflect how empty or full a flight is, but can be a pretty good indicator, especially over a seatmap (because it is often that people do not select their seats in advance, for various reasons).

thanks for the clarification. Do you think I should up the ante and put $505 instead of $500 to increase my chances, I would Imagine a bunch of people would put $500.

From what I read it works like this on the upgrade system if its not full

1. People willing to pay full pop for Business
2. People with the highest bids
3. Upgrade Frequent fliers
4. Upgrade people using credits
5. Ramdom Coach folks if necessary

yyznomad Oct 14, 2018 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by airportrocket (Post 30313842)
thanks for the clarification. Do you think I should up the ante and put $505 instead of $500 to increase my chances, I would Imagine a bunch of people would put $500.

Sure, won't hurt to increase it by $5.

I really can't comment on your chances... was only trying to tell you my experiences and what I've seen with that flight in terms of sellable inventory to assist with some basic analysis.

tracon Oct 14, 2018 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by airportrocket (Post 30313842)
Do you think I should up the ante and put $505 instead of $500 to increase my chances, I would Imagine a bunch of people would put $500.

Always bid the minimum.
Doing otherwise just encourages the merchant to raise the floor for your next trip.
I don't think there are a bunch of people who participate in this program.
Most people are travelling on the lowest fare they can find.

airportrocket Oct 14, 2018 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by tracon (Post 30315463)
Always bid the minimum.
Doing otherwise just encourages the merchant to raise the floor for your next trip.

True I am one of them. The only reason why I wanted to do this is because I never been in J class before and since I paid only $70 for my ticket, I thought I treat myself for once 😀. If I don’t get it oh well I will just go in coach no big deal.

aimango Oct 14, 2018 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by jc94 (Post 30288105)

Wide body lie flats?

Yes it was a lie flat (787). 2nd last row window seat, and the middle seat beside was empty, so ended up getting good amount of privacy. So worth it.

wildace Oct 24, 2018 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by tracon (Post 30315463)
Always bid the minimum.

What happens if someone bids nothing? Does AC get super insulted and place you on a private blacklist so you can never get an upgrade again or get put on the "always bump" list (if there is one)? Has anyone ever won a bid on bidding a grand total of nothing? :confused: :D

ac/elite Oct 29, 2018 6:46 pm

I’ve never bid before and haven’t paid any attention to the bidding process , but my wife is booked NRT-YVR on a PE reward ticket and I’m in paid J. If I don’t get her upgraded, I know where I’ll be seated 😊. EF is showing J2 C1 and the bid range offered is $780-2000. Any wisdom on what I should be bidding and what my chances are? Thanks in advance for any advice.

jc94 Oct 29, 2018 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by wildace (Post 30351469)
What happens if someone bids nothing? Does AC get super insulted and place you on a private blacklist so you can never get an upgrade again or get put on the "always bump" list (if there is one)? Has anyone ever won a bid on bidding a grand total of nothing? :confused: :D

You can’t bid nothing, there’s a range. For example you might have to book a minimum of $700 for a TATL.

YEG_SE4Life Oct 29, 2018 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by ac/elite (Post 30370869)
If I don’t get her upgraded, I know where I’ll be seated 😊.

You'll have 2 options: 1) PE for the flight, or 2) The dog house for some time after the flight.

jc94 Oct 29, 2018 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by ac/elite (Post 30370869)
I’ve never bid before and haven’t paid any attention to the bidding process , but my wife is booked NRT-YVR on a PE reward ticket and I’m in paid J. If I don’t get her upgraded, I know where I’ll be seated 😊. EF is showing J2 C1 and the bid range offered is $780-2000. Any wisdom on what I should be bidding and what my chances are? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life (Post 30371143)
You'll have 2 options: 1) PE for the flight, or 2) The dog house for some time after the flight.

Despite being shorter than many TPACs it is still, I believe a TPAC with $750 copay (from non Standard and X fares). Also it’s J2 at I assume at least 4 days out of you still have time to put in a bid.

So I’d personally doubt $780 is going to cut it and can see it going J1 and LMU for $2-$5k. Depends how much you value your time and money. I’d venture bids in excess of $1k might be required.

But I’m not AC and don’t understand the magical workings of RM or how their IT functions (barely/on a prayer) so who knows. Let us know what you decide and where you sit for future reference though :)

ac/elite Oct 29, 2018 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by jc94 (Post 30371220)

Despite being shorter than many TPACs it is still, I believe a TPAC with $750 copay (from non Standard and X fares). Also it’s J2 at I assume at least 4 days out of you still have time to put in a bid.

So I’d personally doubt $780 is going to cut it and can see it going J1 and LMU for $2-$5k. Depends how much you value your time and money. I’d venture bids in excess of $1k might be required.

But I’m not AC and don’t understand the magical workings of RM or how their IT functions (barely/on a prayer) so who knows. Let us know what you decide and where you sit for future reference though :)

Thanks for the advice. Yes, the flight is more than 4 days out, actually more than a week. I think i’ll bid $1500. I’ll come back with the result when I have it.