Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Newbie Question: How Can I Learn About eUpgrades???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

Yes, I do realize there are several topics on the AC Forum Thread Resource about eUpgrades.

But reading through some of them, they assume you know the difference between Tango fare categories, how co-pay works, and what "wait listed" means.

May I ask someone to provide a link... either on Flyertalk or elsewhere... which explains in simple layman terms all about eUpgrades and how they work.

Thanks in advance!

ps. My partner is E25 and has 20 eUpgrade unused credits which expire this year. She would like to use them---if it makes economical sense---for her next flight (YYZ to YVR return).
Old Sep 16, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: Air Canada SE, Marriott Platinum
https://www.aircanada.com/en/aeropla...des/eupgrades/
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Although that link does not explain that a P25K may not win the upgrade lotto on a popular route. When I was P25K, I had 10+ credits expire at the end of the year not because I did not try, but because I was waitlisted and didn't clear.

Your partner logs in to her eUp account, inputs the PNR of the booking, and requests an upgrade. If the upgrade window is not open yet, it will say "not available for an upgrade. come back X days before the flight". If it is within the window but no upgrade space (because they still have hopes of selling the J seats), it will say "you will be waitlisted". It will take the credits immediately, and return them if the upgrade does not clear at the gate. In some situations, they will release the upgrade earlier if they give up selling all the J seats, but as a P25K, I would not hold her breath.

The copay is new. If there is a copay applicable, it will process the payment for that in the same transaction, the same as changing to a preferred seat.

24Left will likely be along shortly with more links, but here is the AC FT forum on eUps.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by flyquiet
.....24Left will likely be along shortly with more links, but here is the AC FT forum on eUps.

You all did perfectly fine without me. ^

I was thinking that for someone new to digging through AC's eUpgrade pages, it might be a bit challenging.

Also, there is the Promo

https://www.aircanada.com/en/offers/...ade_offer.html

It may not make a difference to PhotoSmurf's particular situation, but it's relatively neat and tidy.

OP, let us know if you have any further questions.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
YYZ-YVR on sunday mornings tend to be easy upgrade.
All three times I taken early morning flight has about half of the J cabin filled or less.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
If you don't mind taking some slack (aka skimming through the smart a$$ replies you are bound to get) post it on here and you will also get good useful replies too.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Quick update...

Girlfriend (P25) bought Flex fare on AC610 (YYZ -> YHZ) for October 8. No longer flying to YVR.
Plans to upgrade to J class on October 4. Cost is 6 eUpgrade credits.

Assuming she is successful...
Will she have access to Maple Leaf lounge at YYZ?
Will she have access to Business check-in and priority screening at YYZ?
What is her luggage allowance as P25?

Hopefully she is doing this right; indeed, any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

Last edited by PhotoSmurf; Sep 19, 2016 at 8:46 am Reason: New destination YHZ instead of YVR.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by PhotoSmurf
Quick update...

Girlfriend (P25) bought Flex fare on AC610 (YYZ -> YHZ) for October 8. No longer flying to YVR.

Hopefully she is doing this right; indeed, any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!
To answer your questions, it is "yes" ONLY if the upgrade clears before checkin. If the upgrade clears at the gate the answer is no. (and if it doesn't clear at all, then of course no too)
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Quick update...

A quick look in Expertflyer shows that that flight is R9 at this point, I'd be surprised to see it get down to R0 before her booking window opens.

(For those just tuning in, "R" is the booking class from which eUpgrades are drawn. If R > 0, eUpgrades should clear immediately).

So, at 96 hours before the flight, log in and request an eUp, it should confirm right away.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Quick update...

P25K has access to priority screening at YYZ, as far as I know.
P25K has a "different" priority check-in area, but not the business class area.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...e/checked.html
P25K in Y has 2x50 pounds.
P25K in J has 2x70 pounds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.