Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Why does YYT not have priority security for S100K and Elite members?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does YYT not have priority security for S100K and Elite members?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Dollars2Donuts
I don't have Nexus....and never will. Such a pain in the .... My wife and her entire family have it, and they always look at me funny when I go get into the Prioroty lane, or if there isn't one, the (dreaded) regular lane.
Why is it "such a pain in the ..." Takes very little time and saves a ton of time. What, 15 min online. Two very quick interviews with US/Cdn customs. I think the total time Nexus took me was 1 hour including driving time.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
I was there a few days ago, and there were literally 100+ people in the line. I asked the agent if they had priority security line for Super Elite, and she literally said "What's Super Elite?" I just gave up and joined the masses.

YYT has a MLL, concierges, priority checkin, and priority boarding. However, I am wondering why they don't have priority security for those passengers that have AC status?
Most likely the airport is not busy enough to have one and AC does not want to pay for it.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Why is it "such a pain in the ..." Takes very little time and saves a ton of time. What, 15 min online. Two very quick interviews with US/Cdn customs. I think the total time Nexus took me was 1 hour including driving time.
Slightly more complicated if you live in YYT. You either have to schedule an appointment during planned travel to the US - not always easy to do - or make a specific trip to do it. You can't have that interview in YYT AFAIK.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
Slightly more complicated if you live in YYT. You either have to schedule an appointment during planned travel to the US - not always easy to do - or make a specific trip to do it. You can't have that interview in YYT AFAIK.
I'm YYT-based. I completed my NEXUS interview when passing through YYZ several years back with a long layover. At the time, the appointment waitlist was months long, but I was able to grab a cancellation the day of the transit.

My wife took a morning trip to YHZ on a Friday to complete her NEXUS interview.

For $50 each plus the cost of her flights, it has been well worth it.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
While I am eligible for NEXUS, I don't really see the economic benefit of it. I would spend $50 to apply, plus at least another 2-3 hours to apply and appear for interview. The 2-3 hours I would spend is more than the amount of time I would spend in line when entering Canada, or the U.S. I have never spent more than 2-3 minutes in Cdn immigration.

NEXUS is applicable for customs and immigration (has nothing to do with domestic flights). I don't see the reason YYT would allow NEXUS members to bypass security for a domestic flight.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:37 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
While I am eligible for NEXUS, I don't really see the economic benefit of it. I would spend $50 to apply, plus at least another 2-3 hours to apply and appear for interview. The 2-3 hours I would spend is more than the amount of time I would spend in line when entering Canada, or the U.S. I have never spent more than 2-3 minutes in Cdn immigration.
You must have very good luck then. Usually the lines aren't long when I come back to Canada and NEXUS doesn't save a ton of time. But every once in a while, I'm on a flight that's last in a big group of flights that have arrived all at once and NEXUS might save me 30 minutes, an hour or more.

It's the same going to the US. I find the pre-clearance hall in YYC is either empty or a total zoo. YYZ rarely seems to be as bad as YYC at its worst but also never seems empty, at least when I go through. I've also skipped some very nasty lines at IAH, MIA and JFK when coming back from LatAm thanks to GE.

So I find it saves me a lot of time at customs.

NEXUS is applicable for customs and immigration (has nothing to do with domestic flights). I don't see the reason YYT would allow NEXUS members to bypass security for a domestic flight.
Because every major airport in Canada does?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I love YYZ customs. I go through the visitors to Canada and normally have my choice of agents waiting. Back in Jan I had to wait several minutes for my colleague (on a CAD Passport) to get through after me

That said, once eligible I'll get it just because of clearing security as I'll likely make E35k once a decade
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:16 pm

I go to YYT 2-3 times a year, have Nexus and it is great, line ups in early AM are stupid long there.

Those that don't have Nexus tough, my finger prints and eye balls are on record, I should be able to clear a security line ahead of the masses. SE special line is bs as far as security anyway what does that have to do with it.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I didn't say that it is a pain in the ... to get, I said it is a pain that I cannot join my wife and her family and that her parents think it is 'odd' that I just don't get my Nexus.

As I said earlier in the thread, I would not be granted Nexus status. It just won't happen. Unfortunately.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: AC SE, Fairmont Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium

YYj is similar in that it doesn't have a SE or E line, only a NEXUS. I save 15-30 minutes every week just going through there in the morning rush. In YVR tonight the Fasttrak line was closed (after 4PM) 35 minute security line bypassed and that the norm.

Definitely it would take longer in international flights to re-coop the benefit as I only go south every couple of months. With that though NEXUS has more then paid for itself with the domestic security time savings.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I spent about 3 hours traveling to my interview, 30 minutes in it, and 1 hour updating stuff since then.

My last HKG-LAX, it saved me 2 hours entering the US.

I've probably made up the 4.5 hours in 2016 alone, and I've had it since 2012.

I suppose if you primarily fly domestic, the savings aren't as great (but still reasonable).

Although even domestic, forget "saving time".

You're running late, you use the NEXUS security line, and you make your flight 30 seconds before the door closes.

Without NEXUS, you would have missed your flight.

How much is that worth?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I spent about 3 hours traveling to my interview, 30 minutes in it, and 1 hour updating stuff since then.

My last HKG-LAX, it saved me 2 hours entering the US.

I've probably made up the 4.5 hours in 2016 alone, and I've had it since 2012.

I suppose if you primarily fly domestic, the savings aren't as great (but still reasonable).

Although even domestic, forget "saving time".

You're running late, you use the NEXUS security line, and you make your flight 30 seconds before the door closes.

Without NEXUS, you would have missed your flight.

How much is that worth?
Depends if you get rebooked with a higher COS bonus
Old Jan 1, 2024, 7:48 am

Programs: Altitude SEMM
I don't know if this is a Christmas gift or New Year's gift, but I departed YYT this morning and there IS now a priority security lane. Last flew out of YYT on December 10 and it wasn't there then.

Happy New Year!
arf04 and yulscs like this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 12:30 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Moderator note: in the years since this thread was first created, discussion about airport security and other general issues has been shifted to the Canada forum, so I'll close this thread and ask that members head there for any further discussion of YYT security issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.