Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC employee killed in accident at YYZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC employee killed in accident at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I would like to know what "officials" would be going to prison. Surely, this isn't the fault of middle management/supervisor, but goes right to the top, to whoever is in charge of setting policy. Hopefully the family gets the payout they deserve from AC.

Failure to ensure that the health and safety at work of Pervez was protected.
Failure to remove from service defective vehicles that present a health and safety hazard to employees operating them.Failure to install seatbelts or similar restraining devices.Failure to provide training to employees to ensure they are able to identify defects in vehicles.Failure to take adequate preventative measures to address the hazards of operating baggage-cart tractors.
If convicted, officials at Air Canada face maximum penalties of up $1 million or a prison term of two years, according to a statement by Employment and Social Development Canada.

I never worked in aviation but did work in another federally regulated industry before.

My understanding of how federal OHS regulations are written, manage can not delegate authority but can only instill responsibility. That means everyone in the management hierarchy from the CEO down to the supervisor can be held legally responsible.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
What similar incident?
I stand corrected - I just can't read - original post deleted
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Fiordland
I never worked in aviation but did work in another federally regulated industry before.

My understanding of how federal OHS regulations are written, manage can not delegate authority but can only instill responsibility. That means everyone in the management hierarchy from the CEO down to the supervisor can be held legally responsible.
While technically the case, the chances of anyone within AC management being tried and convicted criminally is close to nil, and the higher up you go in the management chain, the more unlikely that person will be tried let alone convicted.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
It doesn't say anyone is going to prison.
of course noone is going to prison, neither will AC receive the maximum penalty, because they will plead it down or settle, but in theory, someone could go to prison.
Who would that someone be?

If convicted, officials at Air Canada face maximum penalties of up $1 million or a prison term of two years
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rankourabu
of course noone is going to prison, neither will AC receive the maximum penalty, because they will plead it down or settle, but in theory, someone could go to prison.
Who would that someone be?

If convicted, officials at Air Canada face maximum penalties of up $1 million or a prison term of two years
If the courts decided that jail time was necessary, they would likely convict the person that they believed to be the cause of the breakdown. It is always difficult to predict exactly what a judge will do. However, with OH&S officials, they tend to look at the most responsible party. If the President has policies in place, and has done the due diligence to ensure that policies are followed, they tend to work their way down the management chain to determine who wasn't excersising the due diligence necessary to protect the workers. Jail time is extremely rare. Steep fines are more prevalent.

In this case, obviously, the OH&S officials believe they have enough evidence to lay charges. Nobody, however, has been convicted. It is premature, at this point, to make statements about why anyone may or may not serve time.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
While technically the case, the chances of anyone within AC management being tried and convicted criminally is close to nil, and the higher up you go in the management chain, the more unlikely that person will be tried let alone convicted.
My experience is in the nuclear industry (also federally regulated).

I am not a lawyer, but attended a one day seminar by a university professor, who before teaching law was the Justice Canada lawyer attached to that regulator and would therefore draft regulations and prosecute charges. He basically gave two examples or two very similar safety violations. In one case the reaction from the company was "we need to find the root-cause and fix this", and the second case the company was indifferent or hostile. His perspective was in the first case laying charges would serve no purpose and waste the courts time. In the second case it was in the public interest to lay charges to effect change in the employer. They charged the direct supervisor, management and a VP. They settled for a fine once the employer started to play ball on addressing the problem.

I have no idea what AC reaction is to these events and if they are being proactive in implementing corrective action or not. I would suspect the regulator would view charges as a last resort to only be used if they need a wake up call.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:39 am

So there was no seatbelt, and are no seatbelts on many of the vehicles, after Air Canada had been told to install them?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
well lets hope some people are charged, and get a harsh sentence, to take a life of someone so young because of poorly maintained equipment is shocking.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: Back of the bus
You can bet this will be settled. Like most workplace incidents like this, they will find a way to deal with it.

1) Settlement to family
2) Contribution to some safety fund
3) as cheap as possible fix to deal with the seatbelt issues
4) Insurance pays, so we all pay.

Introducing - AC Basic Economy Ultra Lite ---
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...mily-1.5385989

Relatives of a man killed while working as a baggage handler for Air Canada say they're grateful the airline has pleaded guilty in connection with his death, but they still wonder why it took more than three years for the company to do so.

Ian Henrey Pervez, 24, was killed on April 22, 2016 at Pearson Airport when a truck he was driving flipped and ejected him onto the tarmac.

Air Canada pleaded guilty to a safety violation related to baggage tractors on Nov. 25. A court ruled the company had not developed a program to protect workers from the hazards of operating those vehicles at the time of Pervez's death.

"Them admitting to their mistakes can hopefully prevent this from happening in the future to someone's kid, brother, husband," said Mark Pervez, the victim's younger brother.

Still, the family wishes the guilty plea would have arrived sooner.

"It took them almost four years to admit to their mistake," Pervez added.

Air Canada was fined $100,000 in connection with the incident. The airline was also ordered to make a $100,000 donation to the Association for Workplace Tragedy Family Support.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 5:25 pm
Old Dec 6, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
It is almost impossible to "win" a safety lawsuit. I have no doubt that AC decided that it would be far cheaper to pay the $200K and move on than to try to prove that they had properly taught somebody how to safely drive a baggage vehicle.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 5:25 pm
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by skybluesea
If I understand correctly, a guilty verdict is NOT a guilty verdict, which leaves BLAME THE VICTIM.
I'm having a hard time believing that the victim is entirely blameless in a situation where he is driving a vehicle and it overturns in a single vehicle accident.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 6, 2019 at 7:27 pm
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by skybluesea
If I understand correctly, a guilty verdict is NOT a guilty verdict, which leaves BLAME THE VICTIM.
Guilty? I thought this was a civil case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.