FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC employee killed in accident at YYZ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1761507-ac-employee-killed-accident-yyz.html)

Stranger Apr 23, 2016 8:19 pm

AC employee killed in accident at YYZ

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...dent-1.3550236

apparently the cart rolled over.

Freak accident. Sad story.

The Lev Apr 23, 2016 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 26526564)
Freak accident. Sad story.

Agree it is a sad story, but likely not a "freak accident". These vehicles don't just roll over on their own.

RoutingWonk Apr 23, 2016 8:58 pm

Another source?

Does anyone have this from another source? The article says he was driving a baggage cart, working for air canada, at YYZ T3. Since all *A is out of T1, I can't figure out how this makes sense.

Also, isn't ground baggage handling done by the GTAA? I thought I remember this from when the airport was changing contractors and all of the baggage handlers were being offered to keep their jobs at 60% of their salary.

It's very sad that this gentleman died on the job, but the report seems wrong.

SparseFlyer Apr 23, 2016 9:03 pm

I have heard from someone I may or may not, that works at an airport that I may or may not know, that some are these drivers may or may not be notorious for "reckless driving" when out of sight during down time.

I sincerely hope this wasn't the case.

To any AC (or any other airline/airport authority) employees that work on the tarmac, please be safe. And safety always first.

My condolences.

cooleddie Apr 23, 2016 9:05 pm

How does one fall out of the vehicle unless he was not wearing a seatbelt?

Stranger Apr 23, 2016 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by cooleddie (Post 26526656)
How does one fall out of the vehicle unless he was not wearing a seatbelt?

Do these luggage carts even have a seat belt?

Transpacificflyer Apr 23, 2016 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 26526857)
Do these luggage carts even have a seat belt?

Baggage tugs are supposed to. Provincial workers comp safety rules apply in respect to safety harnesses and seatbelts etc. Here is the summary from the USA and seatbelts are a requirement. Canada is the same.

http://airlines.org/wp-content/uploa...ide-4-3-13.pdf

This will be very interesting. Seems to me that either the tug was blown over by jet engine exhaust or it was speeding in excess of the applicable limit. I won't speculate and will await the WSIB report (next year....)
The tarmac is covered by CCTV so there should be a recording of the event.

yyz_atc_lj Apr 24, 2016 12:42 am

Third death in last 2 years at the airport I believe, also one very serious injury(paralysis) in that period as well.

cur Apr 24, 2016 7:38 am

Originally Posted by BackSlash3 (Post 26526633)
Also, isn't ground baggage handling done by the GTAA? I thought I remember this from when the airport was changing contractors and all of the baggage handlers were being offered to keep their jobs at 60% of their salary.

you're referring to the guys who un-jam the belts and move the odd size items to their respective laterals. ac handles all baggage loading/ unloading and all ramp and towing.

IluvSQ Apr 24, 2016 7:38 am

Originally Posted by BackSlash3 (Post 26526633)
Does anyone have this from another source? The article says he was driving a baggage cart, working for air canada, at YYZ T3. Since all *A is out of T1, I can't figure out how this makes sense.

Assume you fly into YYZ on AC, and connect to BA flying out of T3.
On one ticket, with checked baggage that has been through-checked.
How do you think your bag gets on the BA plane?

RoutingWonk Apr 24, 2016 8:59 am

Thank you cut and IluvSQ. That makes a lot of sense.

zippy the pinhead Apr 24, 2016 9:19 am

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 26526650)
I have heard from someone I may or may not, that works at an airport that I may or may not know, that some are these drivers may or may not be notorious for "reckless driving" when out of sight during down time.

I was at SMF a few years ago and watched a young man driving a baggage tractor collide with a train of baggage carts. It was a hard impact; he was nearly launched from his seat. When he looked up and realized all these people were watching, you could feel his embarrassment. Fortunately the young man appeared unhurt, but I regretted that I had not captured the moment on video. I'm sure this kind of thing is not uncommon.

DrunkCargo Apr 24, 2016 10:06 am

Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead (Post 26528196)
I'm sure this kind of thing is not uncommon.

If this is true, that accidents are common, then it would imply a systemic problem that needs rectification.

RCyyz Apr 24, 2016 11:18 am

Terrible news. The driver was young too - only 24y old; he had his life in front of him but now no more.

Hopefully the WSIB report will include some recommendations that will be easily implemented to prevent this kind of accident from occurring again.

PilotTobe Apr 24, 2016 12:46 pm

There are not seatbelts on tugs (at least the belt loader and tugs that I used, granted they were older).

The one's I used didn't go super fast (more than 20km/h). Still super sad to hear about.