Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC employee killed in accident at YYZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC employee killed in accident at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:52 pm

Most of the open air vehicles do not have seatbelts, specifically baggage carts tugs, I've seen them (seatbelts) on belt loaders which they use on E-190, 319 aircraft.

Ramp Roscoe
YVR
Old Apr 24, 2016, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Tough job, low pay, and now his life is taken from him.

Sigh. Condolences to him and his family.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:40 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
It will be interesting to read the accident report submitted by the relevant OH&S organization in Ontario. My understanding is that these tugs do have seatbelts, drivers are required to wear them, they may possess speed governors but they will, despite their weight and wide wheelbase, still upset if driven erratically. Several unsubstantiated comments on various other websites suggest the driver had a history of aggressive apron driving, which of course the investigators will examine.

Always an unfortunate situation for all involved.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Originally Posted by cooleddie
How does one fall out of the vehicle unless he was not wearing a seatbelt?
All/most vehicles do, but like a lot of people that use "cars" around the area for work they don't always wear seatbelts.

I've been in lots of warehouses and manufacturing environments people that drive tow trucks/motors don't wear seatbelts, its there of course but no one likes to use it, its a hassle for these people esp going in and out.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cooleddie
How does one fall out of the vehicle unless he was not wearing a seatbelt?
If I read somewhere it did not say he fell out but instead he was catapulted out of the vehicle.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
If I read somewhere it did not say he fell out but instead he was catapulted out of the vehicle.
I think I read the same here, http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...dent-1.3550236, but the wording was "he was thrown to the tarmac."

Wording aside, sucks the same that business was put before safety regardless of fault. I hope the fingerpointing doesn't cloud the facts. Efficiency vs. safety, etc... Condolences...
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:45 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Wording aside, sucks the same that business was put before safety regardless of fault. I hope the fingerpointing doesn't cloud the facts. Efficiency vs. safety, etc...
***speculation alert***

I think we may learn that safety procedures were not compromised for the sake of operational efficiency, but rather, laziness and the tendency to hotdog in the later hours caught up with a habitual transgressor.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer

I think we may learn that safety procedures were not compromised for the sake of operational efficiency, but rather, laziness and the tendency to hotdog in the later hours caught up with a habitual transgressor.
Even if you are right, the poor fellow ended up dying. Let's give him some slack, please.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan ,Starwood,Priority Club,Amex Platinum,Airmiles,CIBC Gold
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
***speculation alert***

WTH are you talking about?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-...eath-1.3677291

Air Canada ordered to fix hundreds of baggage trucks after fatality

Air Canada has been ordered to fix hundreds of baggage handling trucks at airports across the country following the death of an airline employee in Toronto this spring.

Baggage handler Ian Henrey Pervez, 24, was killed April 22 at Pearson Airport when the enclosed truck he was driving flipped over and ejected him onto the tarmac.

Investigators have still not declared what they believe caused the crash. Labour Canada has given the airline until Nov. 15 to complete the safety upgrades.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Air Canada faces seatbelt, vehicle defect charges after death of Toronto baggage handler | CBC News

Air Canada has been charged with a string of offences in the death of an employee killed at Toronto's Pearson International Airport after the baggage-handling tractor he was driving flipped over, ejecting him onto the tarmac.

Federal officials allege five health and safety violations by the airline "contributed" to the death of Ian Henrey Pervez, who was killed while working a night shift on April 22, 2016.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Deleted

Last edited by Geoflying; Apr 25, 2018 at 8:01 am
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Geoflying
In case no-one noticed the Pervez incident was in 2016 - we are now two years later and a similar incident has occurred - terrible tragedy that probably could have been avoided
What similar incident?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I would like to know what "officials" would be going to prison. Surely, this isn't the fault of middle management/supervisor, but goes right to the top, to whoever is in charge of setting policy. Hopefully the family gets the payout they deserve from AC.

Failure to ensure that the health and safety at work of Pervez was protected.
Failure to remove from service defective vehicles that present a health and safety hazard to employees operating them.Failure to install seatbelts or similar restraining devices.Failure to provide training to employees to ensure they are able to identify defects in vehicles.Failure to take adequate preventative measures to address the hazards of operating baggage-cart tractors.
If convicted, officials at Air Canada face maximum penalties of up $1 million or a prison term of two years, according to a statement by Employment and Social Development Canada.

Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I would like to know what "officials" would be going to prison. Surely, this isn't the fault of middle management/supervisor, but goes right to the top, to whoever is in charge of setting policy. Hopefully the family gets the payout they deserve from AC.

Failure to ensure that the health and safety at work of Pervez was protected.
Failure to remove from service defective vehicles that present a health and safety hazard to employees operating them.Failure to install seatbelts or similar restraining devices.Failure to provide training to employees to ensure they are able to identify defects in vehicles.Failure to take adequate preventative measures to address the hazards of operating baggage-cart tractors.
If convicted, officials at Air Canada face maximum penalties of up $1 million or a prison term of two years, according to a statement by Employment and Social Development Canada.

It doesn't say anyone is going to prison.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.