Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Embarq

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:59 pm

I like the humour angle on this thread. But man, I find the genuine pleas so tacky. People genuinely looking for a handout for something that used to required WORK to obtain/achieve.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by haolaowai_org
I saw an ad for this in the washroom at UofT.

I'll make one anyways; don't expect anything but who knows :P
Saw an ad for it in the washrooms at U of T too! I don't know who exactly would fund trips for students, but of course I'm sure the guys up at Air Canada management know what they're doing

Also, hi! A fellow U of T student on FT

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
I like the humour angle on this thread. But man, I find the genuine pleas so tacky. People genuinely looking for a handout for something that used to required WORK to obtain/achieve.
Exactly. From my experience, most of the people begging for money often come from privileged backgrounds where they're used to getting everything without work. I'm still a student, never resorted to asking for money from my parents or from anyone else to fund my personal travel.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: Altitude SEMM
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
If you think this is bad (which it is), have a look at GoFundMe!
Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I can't even access the site because it's detecting my location

For a company that is paid to fly you around the world, they're sure dumb when it comes to locking out IP addresses...
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by canadiancow

For a company that is paid to fly you around the world, they're sure dumb when it comes to locking out IP addresses...
You'll have to VPN in to donate the J SYD Trip!!!

https://embarq.aircanada.com/profile...1-a391dd1a0a59
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite

AC is testing your technical knowledge!
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Interesting.

I'm on two refugee committees. Since our refugees have to pay for their flights, someone asked if we could ask people to donate aeroplan points towards tickets for them. I pointed out there's a transfer cost and wouldn't it be wonderful if AP waived that cost for refugee flights.

I note, on this, there's no admin fee but this is cash donations, not points. People may as well donate to our committee and at least get an charitable donations receipt.

I'm aware AP and AC are separate companies but I think AP would have been wise to ride on AC's coattails and put in place a donation program so people could use their points for something other than toasters.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
Interesting.

I'm on two refugee committees. Since our refugees have to pay for their flights, someone asked if we could ask people to donate aeroplan points towards tickets for them. I pointed out there's a transfer cost and wouldn't it be wonderful if AP waived that cost for refugee flights.

I note, on this, there's no admin fee but this is cash donations, not points. People may as well donate to our committee and at least get an charitable donations receipt.

I'm aware AP and AC are separate companies but I think AP would have been wise to ride on AC's coattails and put in place a donation program so people could use their points for something other than toasters.
You should get in touch with Give A Mile (http://www.giveamile.org) they are an AP registered charity, so people can donate miles to them for free. Their main mission is to fly people to visit critically ill friends and family, but they could probably work something out for you.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:38 pm

First, ^ on the FTer one, that's awesome.

Beyond that, I honestly don't know what to make of it. If it's fee-free, I guess it's a way to do a 'fund my honeymoon' type thing without incurring any transaction fees. But besides that, it just seems kind of insane, and the posts are exactly what I'd expect to see.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I saw a poster for this the first time this week, also in a washroom stall door at MRU in Calgary. I notice the majority of these trips are at 0% funding. I thought it's really tacky of AC to encourage begging to buy tickets on their airline, but I suppose consistent with advertising it in the toilet stall.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 1:10 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

I know, right? I'm in NY right now and had the same frigging problem. What a bunch of morons.

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I thought it's really tacky of AC to encourage begging to buy tickets on their airline, but I suppose consistent with advertising it in the toilet stall.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 4:44 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton

ahhh, so I am not alone with this
Wrong Region
Unfortunately Embarq is only available for Canadian residents right now.

Originally Posted by Dorian
You'll have to VPN in to donate the J SYD Trip!!!

https://embarq.aircanada.com/profile...1-a391dd1a0a59
VPNs are illegal where I am. Would you come and rescue me when I am taken in for "attitude" adjustment?

I saw a poster for this the first time this week, also in a washroom stall door at MRU in Calgary. I notice the majority of these trips are at 0% funding. I thought it's really tacky of AC to encourage begging to buy tickets on their airline, but I suppose consistent with advertising it in the toilet stall.
At least they weren't promoting the fine food on AC, along with the wines as selected by the world famous wine expert Ken Chase, a man who none of the oenophiles I come across, have ever heard of,although AC promotes him as world renowned.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
At least they weren't promoting the fine food on AC, along with the wines as selected by the world famous wine expert Ken Chase, a man who none of the oenophiles I come across, have ever heard of,although AC promotes him as world renowned.
Maybe they meant Ken Shabby instead?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:33 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Thought I'd bump this thread as it seems AC sent out an e-mail blast promoting it today - perhaps they're trying to push this out to a wider audience now?

When accessing it from a non-Canadian IP, it still says "Unfortunately Embarq is only available for Canadian residents right now." A) Why would that even be the case and B) Even if for some reason it has to be open only to Canadian residents, do you not think you might want to have residency verified when people put in their credit card details to register or donate rather than just arbitrarily geoblocking every IP outside of Canada?

Maybe they meant Ken Shabby instead?
Monty Python's Ken Shabby en español - YouTube
I love the Monty Python reference - something we could use more of around here!
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
They spent HOW much on this site???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.