Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[LIMITED ACCESS] The Official Fare Bucket Check Request Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
PLEASE NOTE THIS THREAD IS ONLY OPEN TO THOSE WHO HAVE (I) MADE AT LEAST 5 POSTS ON FLYERTALK AND (II) BEEN MEMBERS FOR AT LEAST 30 DAYS. SEE THIS POST FOR EXPLANATION.

A few FlyerTalkers with access to ExpertFlyer are willing to use their subscriptions to look up availability for fellow FTers. Please note that ExpertFlyer offers free 5-day trials, and subscriptions are reasonably priced at US$4.99 per month for a Basic account and US$9.99 per month (US$99.99 per year) for a Premium account; consider subscribing as opposed to posting in this thread.

If you would like to request availability, as long as you have been a FlyerTalk member for at least 30 days and have made at least 5 posts, please include in your post:
  • Route (e.g. YYC-YYZ)
  • Date (e.g. September 5)
  • Flight number (e.g. 142)

Note that EF searches are by route and by date (see this post for details).
Print Wikipost

[LIMITED ACCESS] The Official Fare Bucket Check Request Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
J1, and the site works for me.

Anyway, until you're sitting in PY (bearing in mind YBYL), don't lose hope.

Also, you should probably just invest in an EF subscription. You certainly "use it" enough
The site is back up for me!

You are probably right regarding EF. But the thing is...I usually have to book well before the upgrade window opens, so EF is more informational rather than decisional for me. That being said, I should probably do it anyways so I can stop annoying the good folks here.

On a related note -- and not sure if this has been discussed in the past -- I was pondering this hypothetical scenario: If someone with an Y/PY ticket is fairly confident they will be at the top of the waitlist, what's to stop them from booking a fully refundable J seat before the upgrade window opens only to cancel it last minute? I think airlines sweep for having the same passenger on the same flight, but you could easily buy the revenue J ticket under someone else's name / identity, no?

EDIT: I'm sure this is frowned upon if not illegal and would never do it, but just wanted to see whether this is something people / airlines have considered.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by capedreamer
The site is back up for me!

You are probably right regarding EF. But the thing is...I usually have to book well before the upgrade window opens, so EF is more informational rather than decisional for me. That being said, I should probably do it anyways so I can stop annoying the good folks here.

On a related note -- and not sure if this has been discussed in the past -- I was pondering this hypothetical scenario: If someone with an Y/PY ticket is fairly confident they will be at the top of the waitlist, what's to stop them from booking a fully refundable J seat before the upgrade window opens only to cancel it last minute? I think airlines sweep for having the same passenger on the same flight, but you could easily buy the revenue J ticket under someone else's name / identity, no?

EDIT: I'm sure this is frowned upon if not illegal and would never do it, but just wanted to see whether this is something people / airlines have considered.
What about for finding flights with N space? I had to do a ton of searching to find Europe-NA in N space, because the entire weekend I wanted to fly, most flights were N0. Also, R space can open when you're on the list, without you being upgraded. Set an alert for that, and you can snag it, potentially jumping the list. EF is quite useful.

I seem to recall about one airline not doing gate upgrades specifically to discourage the behavior of holding seats like that. I suspect they'd revoked your status if they caught you doing that. They certainly have the data to see if there are often last minute cancellations of premium cabin tickets when you're on the list. Whether they look for this is another matter. But I wouldn't chance it. It's one thing to "steal" a preferred seat. It's quite another to stop them from selling a last minute J ticket because you want a free upgrade. That's how they make all their money.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:16 pm

What about for finding flights with N space? I had to do a ton of searching to find Europe-NA in N space, because the entire weekend I wanted to fly, most flights were N0.
More often than not, I have very little flexibility over specific routings / dates I can pick. Pretty much limited to what Concur / Amex GBT tells me is cheapest for a certain class of service. What ended up happening with your AMS trip btw? Were you successful in getting yourself into J? And when is it again? I'll be in AMS Sep 9-15.

Also, R space can open when you're on the list, without you being upgraded. Set an alert for that, and you can snag it, potentially jumping the list. EF is quite useful.
Ah yes. Totally forgot about this use case.

I seem to recall about one airline not doing gate upgrades specifically to discourage the behavior of holding seats like that. I suspect they'd revoked your status if they caught you doing that. They certainly have the data to see if there are often last minute cancellations of premium cabin tickets when you're on the list. Whether they look for this is another matter. But I wouldn't chance it. It's one thing to "steal" a preferred seat. It's quite another to stop them from selling a last minute J ticket because you want a free upgrade. That's how they make all their money.
+1
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by capedreamer
More often than not, I have very little flexibility over specific routings / dates I can pick. Pretty much limited to what Concur / Amex GBT tells me is cheapest for a certain class of service. What ended up happening with your AMS trip btw? Were you successful in getting yourself into J? And when is it again? I'll be in AMS Sep 9-15.
SFO-YYZ-AMS//LYS-YUL-YYZ-SFO. It departs more than 14 days from now, so aside from YUL-YYZ, it's all still PY.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:20 pm

SFO-YYZ-AMS//LYS-YUL-YYZ-SFO. It departs more than 14 days from now, so aside from YUL-YYZ, it's all still PY.
Good luck!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by vernonc
ok thanks.
Why would they still sell seats in Y if overbooked ? If Y=8, J=2 means they would have to VDB if anyone buys the tickets which seems silly, at least to me.
They're already overbooked, by your own statement, meaning heck why not overbook it a little more... until their experience/historical numbers tell them to stop overbooking anymore?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:23 am
F 1

Could someone kindly check EF for me so I can get a sense of loads and upgrade chances? AC123, Fri Sep 7. I know it's a long shot, just wondering if PE might have a better chance than J. Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:33 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Here you go.

AC123 / Sep 7: J6 C5 D0 Z0 P0 R0 O6 E5 N2 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q7 V2 W0 G0 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
AC 123YYZ 6:00p → YVR 7:52p
J6 C5 D0 Z0 P0 R0 O6 E5 N2 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q7 V2 W0 G0 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:06 am
F 1

Thanks! And next question, based on the experience of others,what would you say my odds are clearing the wait-list into J? I'm P25k this year and flying on a Standard Fare. The conservative answer is I should just go for PE, but at J6 is there hope? Go big or go home, right?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
YYZ to YVR on a Friday evening, with pods, and you're P25k on almost the lowest fare bucket? I fear your chances are poor at best. Especially as without an EF subscription you're not going to find out if R space gets opened (unless you just check the AC website regularly).

But hey, you never know. If it was me I'd ensure I had a backup plan - a preferred seat. They'll auto waitlist you for PY if the J eUp fails, but that list is processed at the very end, so people aiming for a PY eUp and not J eUp are ahead of you in terms of processing.

As a comparison AC123 tonight is also full with 4 people having cleared into J, and 11 more on the list.
vernonc likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by F 1
Thanks! And next question, based on the experience of others,what would you say my odds are clearing the wait-list into J? I'm P25k this year and flying on a Standard Fare. The conservative answer is I should just go for PE, but at J6 is there hope? Go big or go home, right?
I would say slim to none. And I think slim has also left the building. Specially on a pod flight Fri evening.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Perhaps pay the change fee to go later Friday or Sat morning when the odds are better and join us (well, 7 confirmed FTers) for a few drinks Friday downtown

Disclaimer: I have no idea what loads are like. But the AC website currently is saying no waitlist indicating >=R1 for the 22:30 Friday and the 7-10am ones Sat (not all may be pods)
Of course, on a standard fare that's probably $100. But an agent doing that should be able to confirm the eUp at the same time. If within your window ... I can't recall if Standard requires a co-pay, but if it does it's probably $150.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:52 pm
F 1

Originally Posted by jc94
YYZ to YVR on a Friday evening, with pods, and you're P25k on almost the lowest fare bucket? I fear your chances are poor at best. Especially as without an EF subscription you're not going to find out if R space gets opened (unless you just check the AC website regularly).

But hey, you never know. If it was me I'd ensure I had a backup plan - a preferred seat. They'll auto waitlist you for PY if the J eUp fails, but that list is processed at the very end, so people aiming for a PY eUp and not J eUp are ahead of you in terms of processing.

As a comparison AC123 tonight is also full with 4 people having cleared into J, and 11 more on the list.
You're 100% right, poor at best. But I rolled the dice and waitlisted for J. I don't seem to mind a $250 copay if it means a pod on a Fri night. But the $100 copay for PE didn't seem worth it vs a preferred seat. Fingers crossed and maybe the eup gods will smile upon me one last time.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
AC1626
YYZ to FLL Friday, Dec 14

Would a kind soul please check the bucket for me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.