Wiki Posts
Search

No YQ waiver? What gives?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: AC - SE100K
Originally Posted by cavitron
Cautionary tale.
Yeah. Friends don't let friends drink and book. Too bad I was with family.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Stranger
Trying to book a reward for next July.

SE status, and will be next year too when a few flights clear. I get quoted a total of $960 for an I itinerary to Europe.

What gives? Do I pay and then complain?
The system is charging you because you have not yet qualified For SE next year. Once you qualify, the charges will disappear. If you book now, AE my not refund you because currently, you do not have SE status for next year.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
The system is charging you because you have not yet qualified For SE next year. Once you qualify, the charges will disappear. If you book now, AE my not refund you because currently, you do not have SE status for next year.
I was under the impression that your status at time of booking is all that matters...
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by visitor
I was under the impression that your status at time of booking is all that matters...
Not what I have seen. My wife bounces between E75K and SE 100K and when you book far out after Feb 28/29, if you are not holding status for next year, charges always showed up.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Before I qualified for SE for 2016 (ie did searching early April 2015), I searched for seats YOW-SYD for March 2016....The YQ did NOT show up on those AC flights I was looking at.

So I tend to agree that you need to be SE at time of booking to get YQ waiver, not time of travel.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC-E50. Marriott Plat
just on the phone with aeroplan because I had to rebook a reward flight for my wife and daughter. I am now also traveling with them, and flight is still in this year. When they wanted to charge me $30 telephone booking fee for my booking, I said no thanks I will book it online. No waiver of YQ online, still had the phone rep on the line, he said they are having problems with the system so he booked it at the lower amount of taxes and fees (no YQ) and waived the telephone fee.
so it appears to have nothing to do with this year/next year etc, just a good ole' IT problem.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Makes no sense. Then the system should not even allow access to priority rewards. Which is does. And anyway, when phoning they don't charge the YQ.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
I ran into this issue.

Posted over on the "post your fees and taxes" thread. It's a known issue to AP IT and as of Friday they were working on it.

Long story short, I ended up paying the $30 booking fee rather than run the risk of them having my money and "not being able" to refund me. The agent also told me that new system will not allow them to enter credit card info without extreme difficulty.

I booked 2 trips for two of us and the whole thing took over 2 hours. The agents computer "froze" mid booking, he "lost" the res. and then finally he cocked up one of the flights so I had to call back in to get it changed - which took 30 minutes for me to persuade them not to charge me another 2x $30 for "re booking".

They graciously agreed to waiver that fee.

So that was my Sunday afternoon....how was yours?

Last edited by Frequentlander; Dec 14, 2015 at 2:54 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 14, 2015, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Frequentlander

The agent also told me that new system will not allow them to enter credit card info without extreme difficulty.
Actually I did not find that too bad,having gone through the exercise twice on Sunday, once this morning. They have to set something up, which beeps. They they tell you to enter the card number on your phone. I didn't mind it at all. Only trouble, on two occasions I inadvertently started entering my aeroplan number instead of the CC's.

So that was my Sunday afternoon....how was yours?
Booked for one way on a Europe Latitude pass. Plus upgrades, 22 credits of the older variety, 22 fresh ones. For myself.

Booked three rewards, one complex transatlantic on the phone for my wife, with two stopovers in addition to the point of turnaround, plus I had a very specific itinerary in mind, because we needed to stop to do some business at a fourth location, so arriving in the morning, leaving in the evening. Partially matching two of my bookings on the pass. Another short haul NA round trip, actually embedded in one of the stopovers of the previous one, also for my wife.

Then a round trip within Europe for myself, on my wife's account (IKK not applicable). Again matching two legs of her complex ticket. I could have bought a cheap economy ticket, but no miles then, so might as well sit with her and burn her nearly worthless miles. On aeroplan.com; funny thing, I could not pay but I had to phone in to complete the booking. Agent could not say why that happened. That one for myself on a star partner, again matching two legs of her itinerary

So that took care of our Feb. holidays, plus her February babysitting.

Then I tried to book for my wife another trip to Europe on aircanada.com, as per beginning of the thread. Which is where I ran into trouble with the YQ. As it was getting close to their closing time, I left the issue for today.

So, between yesterday and today, we disposed of a total of 235k miles. After redeeming another 95k early December for another trip in May. Nice cleanup before tomorrow's devaluation.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Stranger

So, between yesterday and today, we disposed of a total of 235k miles. After redeeming another 95k early December for another trip in May. Nice cleanup before tomorrow's devaluation.
I unloaded 360K on 2 trips, and I have under 7K left, which I will donate to charity. Then I'm done.

CIBC Aeroplan Visa got cut up an hour ago.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Same thing happened to me. Taxes/fees jumped from ~$60 to ~$100 on the final page, but R space was running out, so I did it anyway.

I just called in, and "Oh yeah we're aware of that."

They have to process a "change", and then I'll get the refund.

And of course it was a change, so I was charged the $90 change fee to save $30 in YQ.

Just kidding
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: AC E75K
I'm seeing this too. This is really lame, since I need to book 4 tix and the tax/fees go from $500 to $2400 when I go to book. Do I really want to rely on AE to refund the money?

Has anyone actually received the refund? One poster above said he received an email about the refund, but hadn't seen the refund on his credit card.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE
You should be able to make the bookings over the phone without paying the YQ upfront - I made two reservations yesterday and both agents I spoke to had been briefed about the website issue and waived the phone booking fee.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Just an update - this appears to have been fixed in the last day or so. I tried it out today and it now shows the same taxes/fees after selecting 'Book' as it did before.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
YQ Waiver not working?

Very sorry if this has already been posted! (went through 20ish pages of the aeroplan.com issues thread and didn't see anything).

But when I was looking at doing a AE booking today it looked like the price went up a ton and that the YQ waiver isn't there anymore? Did something happen that I missed?

I got the YQ waiver all year, and I got my 2016 100k already too...... Did they remove YQ waiver as a benefit?

Sooooooo it's still not fixed after a couple weeks? I wonder how much extra Aeroplan is making here and not giving it back to Air Canada because AC isn't expecting a YQ revenue for these? Maybe it's Aimia's plan to be profitable again.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 1, 2016 at 8:03 pm Reason: housekeeping after thread merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.