Wiki Posts
Search

No YQ waiver? What gives?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by D582
But it is technically a carrier-imposed surcharge. There is no such thing as a Navcan fee. Navcan charges AC and then as cost recovery AC imposes a surcharge.
Correct.

But it used to be labelled "Navcan" on Aeroplan.

Then, sometime after the YQ waiver went into effect, they started calling it a carrier surcharge. It's almost as if Aeroplan deliberately wants to make people think they're not getting their YQ waiver benefit.

If it had always been labelled "carrier surcharge", this would be an entirely different matter.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: HGP: Diamond, SPG:Gold, HH:Gold, AA: Plt, Copa: Plt
Can anyone help me understand why this YQ or navcan is only appearing on award flights and not on revenue tickets?
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by frfather
Can anyone help me understand why this YQ or navcan is only appearing on award flights and not on revenue tickets?
For YQ, AC does not charge this on revenue Canada/US tickets, but has decided to charge this on award tickets.

For "Navcan" this shows up as part of the base fare calculation as a Q surcharge. On award tickets they collect this as YR tax because there is no base fare listed on the ticket. The amounts also may differ at their discretion.

These are "carrier-imposed" surcharges and therefore the carrier can decided when and how to impose these surcharges.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. I got swept as SE100K ~ Jan 4 (was E50K before). Was looking at a reward ticket, 100% AC metal, but see YQ is still there. Does the benefit for YQ only start in March? Wanted to book a flight for end of March / April so it'd be cutting it close...

Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Yes, in March
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:01 pm

Thanks so much! Looks like I'll be playing chicken with availability.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by tass
Thanks so much! Looks like I'll be playing chicken with availability.
IKK is your "need-you-when-I-need-you" friend. Which route is this for?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by Wings100
Yes, in March
Strange, I also just became SE a couple of weeks ago and booked a trans-Atlantic Aeroplan reward on AC metal with no YQ for Feb. LHR-YYZ, only UK APD and passenger service charge ~$210 on the ticket.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*

New to SE and to reward bookings. Are all these charges correct? My gut tells me the $30 is the one that should be waived?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:08 pm

YYZ-TLV - lots of availability end of March / early April now.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: AC*E, PC*Plat, IC*RoyalAmb
Originally Posted by pilot007

Strange, I also just became SE a couple of weeks ago and booked a trans-Atlantic Aeroplan reward on AC metal with no YQ for Feb. LHR-YYZ, only UK APD and passenger service charge ~$210 on the ticket.
Me too. I'm a first time SE and as soon as my status changed my priority rewards included business class availability and no YQ.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:45 pm

I called Aeroplan and YQ waiver does apply... to fixed mileage rewards. I had been looking at Market Fare. So now my question... is 23,000 (the difference between 80K vs 57K) miles worth $600? I'm booked for 3 people, so that's fairly steep.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by tass
I called Aeroplan and YQ waiver does apply... to fixed mileage rewards. I had been looking at Market Fare. So now my question... is 23,000 (the difference between 80K vs 57K) miles worth $600? I'm booked for 3 people, so that's fairly steep.
Some people here will go by cpm to make their decision. Others use other types of voodoo.

With Market Fares, always make sure to check what the actual price is if purchased as straight up revenue from say, the ac.com website. You might find that the difference isn't much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.