Search

Canadian Celebrity Sightings

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Originally Posted by yyznomad
People have reported here having sat next to some American celebrity on a non-AC flight, so pretty much anything goes.
That's not actually the case as has been said before this thread is for noting Canadian celebrity sightings on AC on in MLL, not just Canadians who are celebrities spotted anywhere.

Also the term "celebrity" will vary from person-to-person so any attempt to limit what's subjective isn't likely to work.

tcook052
Ac forum Mod.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by TravellingGypsy
Reading some of these posts makes me wonder how many times I may have unknowingly sat next to one of these "celebrities" on a flight ��

I think there should be some type of quantifiable criteria to distinguish what might be a celebrity to you, from a celebrity to the general public.

Not slagging your opinion, I just legitimately wonder who else may have even heard of these specific folks before.
I'll take it that you're comparatively young.

Having said that, the estimated 250,000 people in this audience at the 1983 US Festival have probably heard of Rik Emmett. I'd expect so by the way they're responding to the show.

As an FYI, Emmett's band, Triumph, was a Canadian rock icon in the 1970s and 80s, with 18 gold and 9 platinum albums and something like 20 million record sales. That's pretty impressive for the dark days before the internet.

Not slagging your opinion either, but I would bet there are people out there who have never heard of at least some individuals that you consider bona-fide celebrities. To each their own.

Last edited by Symmetre; Sep 28, 2017 at 1:44 pm
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
This has been a big issue with this thread.

People have reported here having sat next to some American celebrity on a non-AC flight, so pretty much anything goes. I guess some posters didn't carefully read "Canadian"
And I remember some lowley SE 2MM who reported the Mayor of Pelican Narrows, SK as a celebrity.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by hazcaddy
Celebrity to me is a current one, not a former one...
So, if someone happened to be on a flight with Paul McCartney, he wouldn't qualify as a celebrity?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
So, if someone happened to be on a flight with Paul McCartney, he wouldn't qualify as a celebrity?
He's not a Canadian one.

Some people are famous for 5 minutes, some, like Leonard Cohen (RIP) would still qualify. I can't think of another alive example though that I'd rate even close to Sir Paul.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
And I remember some lowley SE 2MM who reported the Mayor of Pelican Narrows, SK as a celebrity.
Pelican Narrows has a population around 2700. If that many people know him, then he is a local celebrity at least?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, *G, WS-Gold, Nexus, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by Symmetre
I'll take it that you're comparatively young.

Having said that, the estimated 250,000 people in this audience at the 1983 US Festival have probably heard of Rik Emmett. I'd expect so by the way they're responding to the show.

As an FYI, Emmett's band, Triumph, was a Canadian rock icon in the 1970s and 80s, with 18 gold and 9 platinum albums and something like 20 million record sales. That's pretty impressive for the dark days before the internet.

Not slagging your opinion either, but I would bet there are people out there who have never heard of at least some individuals that you consider bona-fide celebrities. To each their own.
Well, I'm old enough to have bought their records in the 80's...and have still never heard of either of those gentlemen.

I'm quite confident that if you asked 100 random Canadians who Rick Emmett and Dave Dunlop are, 99 would give you the ten thousand yard stare.

To me, a celebrity is defined as someone whose name or likeness is known by the majority of the populace.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by songsc
Pelican Narrows has a population around 2700. If that many people know him, then he is a local celebrity at least?
Our mayor is a local celebrity in my town of 1200. Trish works at the post office, so she sees everybody. But I don't think I'd post on this thread if I saw her on an AC flight.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
André-Philippe Gagnon right now at YVR Dom MLL.

I would consider him a bonafide Canadian celebrity.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Ian Hanomansing

Ian Hanomansing just walked into the YVR Dom MLL.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finally a name I recognize.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 2:06 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
True story; about a year ago I saw him walk into YVR Dom terminal from the curb with his makeup bib still on.

Not sure if he was shooting a piece outside, but it's really tough to project gravitas when you are wearing a bib. Sometimes it's best not to see how the sausage gets made.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
True story; about a year ago I saw him walk into YVR Dom terminal from the curb with his makeup bib still on.

Not sure if he was shooting a piece outside, but it's really tough to project gravitas when you are wearing a bib. Sometimes it's best not to see how the sausage gets made.
Lol.

Some of my friends at CBC tell me his nickname amongst the female staff is "Ian Handsome Man Thing"
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, IHG Spire
I chatted a bit with Mike Ward at the YUL domestic lounge this summer.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ray Ferraro

Ray Ferraro last night on 126 in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.