Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Special Meals Thread (2015-2020)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Schrodingers Ape
Seriously people, this special meal thing is awesome. From what I gather, there's at least a 30% chance they'll screw up. If you don't actually have special dietary requirements, you can milk it from both sides... get the compensation, and still eat whatever they're serving. I'm totally going to order the Kosher meal for my husband next time we fly overseas. He's not a vegetarian, he hates low-anything. It might be funny to get him the child's meal, but I'm pretty sure he'd take that the wrong way.....
Child meal isn't bad
Old May 17, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Way simpler to drink your coffee black.
Mmmm, with a double ice cream... Hot spoon cuts right through perfectly.

Yes yes, I've heard feeding SAP dairy is a bad idea, but I'm kinda curious to witness the result... assuming he's cool with it.
Old May 17, 2016, 4:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Mmmm, with a double ice cream... Hot spoon cuts right through perfectly.

Yes yes, I've heard feeding SAP dairy is a bad idea, but I'm kinda curious to witness the result... assuming he's cool with it.
No thank you. I avoid dairy like no one's business which is why I get annoyed with Air Canada when they serve me a NLML with a creamer that contains milk products.

This freaking airline - the pain. NLML you would think means "non lactose meal?" - well [expletive] me. It's coded as "low lactose". So let's call a duck a duck and not [expletive] around. Call it LLML. It annoys me because there's a certain executive at Air Canada who is also highly lactose intolerant.
Old May 17, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
This freaking airline - the pain. NLML you would think means "non lactose meal?" - well [expletive] me. It's coded as "low lactose". So let's call a duck a duck and not [expletive] around. Call it LLML. It annoys me because there's a certain executive at Air Canada who is also highly lactose intolerant.
I pretty much always have lactase enzyme tablets or capsules with me; it's pretty near impossible to avoid lactose. It's used as filler in pills and prepared foods, from baked goods to processed meat.
Old May 17, 2016, 5:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by islandcub1
I pretty much always have lactase enzyme tablets or capsules with me; it's pretty near impossible to avoid lactose. It's used as filler in pills and prepared foods, from baked goods to processed meat.
With the meds I take, yes, I'm with you there.

That being said, cheese filled cannelloni or the lactose filler in my pills?

Big difference
Old May 17, 2016, 5:14 pm

No thank you. I avoid dairy like no one's business which is why I get annoyed with Air Canada when they serve me a NLML with a creamer that contains milk products.

Dude, I'll stand guard at the lav while you do your thing. Just don't flush after!
Old May 17, 2016, 5:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Dude, I'll stand guard at the lav while you do your thing. Just don't flush after!
I'm sorry for the result ahead of time
Old May 17, 2016, 5:18 pm

I'm sorry for the result ahead of time
Well, try to aim it in the bowl at least? TOILET bowl I mean... but again, don't flush!
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:10 pm

Air Canada has a * when it comes to SPML's absolving them of all legal issues about this, but to think AC gave you what they gave you for a VGML surprises me. I'm not doubting you in any way, I'm more surprised at AC. That seems pretty messed up to me, so yeah, I would write in.
In fairness, I didn't peek under the foil to see if it really was chicken or mislabelled. When they did the green form, she put that my meal had been given to someone else, so maybe that was the screw-up. But it's a good idea, I'll write in.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:17 pm

Ok, they got it right on the way home. I was actually impressed.

A) What meal you ordered: VGML
B) Date of meal: May 31st, 2016
C) Originating airport: NRT (Narita, Tokyo)
D) Domestic/Transcon/Intl: Intl (YVR)
E) Picture or description of the meal:

Dinner: Some green mush and some white mush with veggies. But both mushes were surprisingly good, especially the white mush. Served with a roll and cooked veggies, including a little quinoa-cabbage wrap that was a little bland but edible. Fruit for desert.

Breakfast: Some kind of porridge. Not oatmeal, and didn't seem like rice either. I took a picture but it's not on my phone, not sure what happened there. It was bland as heck, made barely edible with some salt. Tasted "healthy" though Served with fruit and a roll. Curious: I got strawberry jam to put on the roll, but it was a different brand (Heinz) than the strawberry jam they served the other passengers. That seems odd?

Picture of dinner:
Old Jul 5, 2016, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I ordered a GFML meal in J TATL. The food was ok but very uninspiring, with some form of chicken and rice dish, with salad and fresh fruit. Some hours later it was followed by breakfast which consisted only of the same fruit plate and a very small muffin. In both cases margarine rather than butter was offered and the FA was very snippy when I asked for butter. Particularly with breakfast, the offering was very meagre when everyone else seemed to have a hot breadfast - not difficult to achieve with GF.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
A few of us had NOML on our boarding passes last night.

The captain offered to buy me a steak if I gave him $40.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 8:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I ordered a GFML meal in J TATL. The food was ok but very uninspiring, with some form of chicken and rice dish, with salad and fresh fruit. Some hours later it was followed by breakfast which consisted only of the same fruit plate and a very small muffin. In both cases margarine rather than butter was offered and the FA was very snippy when I asked for butter. Particularly with breakfast, the offering was very meagre when everyone else seemed to have a hot breadfast - not difficult to achieve with GF.
That's because the GFML and the NLML are the same.

And does anyone know why AC calls the NLML = non lactose meal, but yet on aircanada.com if you order that meal it says "low lactose meal"?

Good one AC.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
YYZ "Gluten Intolerant Meals"

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues.

My mum flies a lot with Air Canada. Out of Dublin, London, Halifax, Montreal, Vancouver and once Frankfurt, the plane food in Premium Economy or Business class is good out of these airports.

In the last 9 months however she has flown out of Toronto on 4 occasions, 3 times to Dublin in paid Premium Rouge, and once to Vancouver in paid J. Each time requesting a gluten intolerant meal. (She's flown a lot on domestic upgrades from YYZ, but these don't count because provision for gluten is mostly not made in this situation)

Each time, she has been served a disgusting, inedible vegan meal. On Tuesday, I was travelling with her on the same flight, but in the back. Before when she complained I thought she was being melodramatic, but on Tuesday she wrapped up what she'd been given in napkins and brought it back to me to try. She was right, utterly revolting. To top it off, there was no desert, no fruit or anything.

After each of the first 3 times she sent complaints to Air Canada asking why gluten free was being served vegan meals when not requesting. On each three occasions, she received this exact copy and pasted response...

"We recognize that an appetizing and nutritious meal adds to the enjoyment of your flight and we regret your disappointment with the quality of the previous meals served. The quality and freshness of each meal is important to us and we closely monitor the meal service offered on all of our routes.

We value your patronage and customer feedback is a critical component in improving customer service, and we appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Please be assured your comments have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate in-flight catering managers for their internal review.

Now she's told me she won't fly Air Canada again out of Toronto, which makes my life very difficult given she lives in Wales these days and I'm her travel agent and Dublin is the nearest most economically viable airport to fly from.

I do think that response is a little over the top, after all she could eat before she gets on the plane and take food to eat on the plane.

However, she is the right. The food served out of Toronto in a premium class should not be vegan (not just that, but horrible inedible vegan) and is an insult to what has been requested and the cost of the ticket.

If caterers in every other airport can get it right, why should YYZ passengers suffer. On that point, maybe withdrawing one's patronage on principle (of both the awful food and same copy/pasted fob off emails) without any real apology is justified.

Personally, I'd just grin and bear it. But there is a serious question though. Why does the food out of YYZ suck so badly when everywhere else can deal with it?
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Angry

Originally Posted by luxury
AC 63 YVR-ICN
July 20, 2015
Kosher Meal
International

The main course was a chicken with rice smothered in an onion, celery and bell pepper sauce. Chicken was a little dry. Really sucks when one is allergic to bell peppers.
If you're allergic to bell peppers don't fly AA (at least business class) EVERY SINGLE ENTREE AND SNACK had bell peppers, even if not mentioned on the menu! Fish with no mention of bp had a big piece on top (for color?) which permeated the fish after being heated. The rolled sandwich snack had bp inside, the open face beef bruschetta had bp on top, etc., etc.

I have NEVER been on another flight(and this was true on many AA international flights - after the first one I learned to look at the meal before they heated it or to bring my own food - a bummer on an 18 hour flight in business class!) where any one ingredient was stealthily placed in ever single item to eat (well maybe except the instant noodles)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.